Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so does that mean the when i got to OASC on sunday ill find out (if i get through it all) about feb/march (im going for WSO/WSOp/reg officer)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heapsey)
    hi can someone explain what a review is (is it where the group captain decides how you have done?)
    I copied this from another site and it explains the system in more depth.

OASC has 5 levels of response to candidates who complete the full selection process.

1. Yes please, when can you start!
    2. Put forward for further review.
    3. Not yet, try again in 1 year.
    4. Not yet, try again in 2 (or in some cases more) years.
    5. Never darken our doors again!!

So, if you get a “No 2” letter, well done for a start, you're in the silver medal position! It means that you have produced an acceptable standard for officer training, without being a star. (At the moment, in the current climate, No 1 letters are few and far between).

So what if OASC haven’t offered you a place immediately? The short, if somewhat cynical answer, is that someone better may turn up! The training system of the RAF now has to run on business lines, and there are a limited number of places in each branch funded per financial year. Moreover, the recruiting is not constant throughout that year. OASC may delay your final notification to see how you compare with later applicants. Your 'Further Review' letter might, but need not necessarily, contain a date when you can expect to hear something.

Hope that explains things a little more for you. Reviews normally take place every two months. The last 3 have been August, October and December....

Good Luck.
    Nik01....

ReputationRep:
    ohhh ok cheers that explains alot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by semisonic)
    Some branches (i.e. medical etc.) aren't goign to review boards as the RAF is gasping for them!!

Woohoo :elefant:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nik01)

Hope that explains things a little more for you. Reviews normally take place every two months. The last 3 have been August, October and December....

Nik01....
    Hmmm... if the review is 10th Dec, then I may be in the same pot as you. I'd hate to be in competeition with you, mate, especially given your circumstances with work.

Failing that though, I guess I'll have to wait till Feb or even April to be told the good/bad news.

How long after OASC did they let you know, and was the info sent to you direct or through the chain?

Good luck chap.

ReputationRep:
    Were you typing at me there REME-Bod??

I went to OASC late November. I was ecstatic to be put on the December review board, as I knew it was my best hope, but one so soon was a real bonus!

How about you? I'm going for pilot! Spent two years on a UAS so I prey that'll work in my favour.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by semisonic)
    Were you typing at me there REME-Bod??

I went to OASC late November. I was ecstatic to be put on the December review board, as I knew it was my best hope, but one so soon was a real bonus!

How about you? I'm going for pilot! Spent two years on a UAS so I prey that'll work in my favour.

Good luck!
    No, it was aimed at Nik01, but thanks anyway,

I'm not really expecting to hear anything before late Jan, and whilst at OASC I was told by one of the duty officers there that an early letter is usually bad news cos it doesn't take too long for them to decide if you're a real doofus. (Take ALL the time you want, chaps!)

Good luck with the review. Rest assured that because of the competition, if you are not successful this time it doesn't mean you won't stand a chance next time... and if you succeed this time, then you know you've beaten off a lot of stiff competition to achieve your goal.

ReputationRep:
    REME, can you give a more detailed breakdown of the interview q's?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    went into my local AFCO today to introduce a new guy to some of the officers up there. Saw a girl who was going for pilot and had her filter interview. She looked petrified! I tried to give her some advice but I think I ended up looking like a t.wat! :rolleyes: oh well. She was hoping to get on the sqadron Im on.

It just reminded me what I was like when I first walked into Aberdeen AFCO 4 years ago. ha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    REME, can you give a more detailed breakdown of the interview q's?
    Sure...

As you are probably aware it's 'good cop, bad cop' routine. Starting with good cop:

What's your D.O.B?
    How old in years and months does that make you?
    How many schools did you attend between ages 11-18?
    Name them, giving dates (month/year)... hard one for me cos it was over 20 years ago!
    How did you find school?
    How would your teachers remember you?
    What exams did you sit/pass?
    How did you prepare for them?
    How would you describe your childhood?
    What clubs/groups did you belong to?
    Give more details of your participation in these clubs.
    What have you done since leaving school?
    Give a potted history of your life from leaving school until today. (Dates/Years again)
    If you left any job/group etc, why?
    What hobbies/pastimes/interests do you have now?
    What do your family/friends think of you applying for RAF?
    How do you think you'll cope with service life?

At this point I was asked more questions about my current life in the Army, my management/command responsibilities, and how I'd manage the transition etc... but it's pretty much the same line of questioning for civilian applicants.

Over to 'bad cop'...

First question, and undoubtably the hardest to answer...
    WHY do you want to be an officer in the RAF?

What qualities does an officer require?
    What qualities do you posess?
    What is the role of the RAF within NATO
    What is the role of NATO
    How does NATO differ to the UN?
    Where are RAF based overseas?
    Which of these do you think is the most important, strategically? Why?
    Are the Falklands still important? Why?
    What new equipment is RAF getting?
    What is so good about Typhoon?
    Who makes it?
    Take me on a trip around the world and tell me some major news events... from these you'll be questioned to ascertain your depth and breadth of knowledge. (I got grilled on the Pitcairn Islands and the inhabitants of Diego Garcia!) Make sure that if you mention something obscure, you've researched it well.
    What recent home news do you know. Same thing applies, depth and breadth.

Then onto mandatory questions...
    Any involvement in drugs/police/bankruptcy/court etc.
    What will you do if you are unsuccessful in this application?
    Shake hands, and off you toddle. 45 mins flies by in the blink of an eye. And once outside, you'll think "Why didn't I mention this, or that, or tell them I can do this" etc. It's 45 minutes to sell yourself unashamedly. Let them know how good you are (without being arrogant).

I think that covers most of it.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Reme-bod, Can you tell me what its like being in the army as an engineer? It was an option for me though I have heard bad things about it. Obviously from what the afco says it all sounds wonderful, espically the commando branch.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    :eek: Thats the questions I got at my filter interview in AFCO! I think the woman was evvvvil though. She had a reputation for being tough on applicants. I guess it only prepares them for OASC though. They also tend to push you until they get an 'I don't know' out of you.

For my UAS interview I was asked questions like:

What is the payload of a tornado GR4? (after I said I was interested in flying them)
    What are the differences between a GR4 and an F3?
    Tell me why the UK Armed Forces went to Iraq? (a tad contreversial so I didnt know exactly how to answer!)
    What engine does a tutor have and what are its capabilities?
    What roles does RAF Cranwell have and where is it located?

etc etc. I think because they had seen on my app form that I had been through officer selection once then they expected more from me. Most people were asked about deployments and equipment, but then most people were only interested in free flying lessons!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    Reme. Can you tell me what its like being in the army as an engineer? It was an option for me though I have heard bad things about it. Obviously from what the afco says it all sounds wonderful, espically the commando branch.
    So good I'm getting out and joining the RAF!

Actually it's not that bad, but this aint the forum for the Army, so I'll be happy to answer any questions you want to PM me.

J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    I think because they had seen on my app form that I had been through officer selection once then they expected more from me. Most people were asked about deployments and equipment, but then most people were only interested in free flying lessons!
    Whilst at OASC I asked if Service/UAS experience or previous OASC/RCB experience meant they raised the bar, and I got an emphatic "NO" as the reply.
    I was told that they treat everyone the same, so it's a level playing field for all irrespective of experience or background. They DO look at what you've done though because that can be used as an indication of your potential, and indeed, what you can bring to the party.

Sorry about all the clichés in the above.
    :party:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the mexican wave too.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to throw some cold water here, but i was recently (and very reliably) informed that in the next Financial Year (05/06) the total number of pilots required are.......... wait for it...... 2! (two), and these have already been eyeballed. Some UAS somewhere i seem to recall.

The AFCOs are now in the process of turning pilot only wanna-be's away and getting those interested in others to reconsider their choices.

What has everyone else heard? (WZZ?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cwarranto)
    Sorry to throw some cold water here, but i was recently (and very reliably) informed that in the next Financial Year (05/06) the total number of pilots required are.......... wait for it...... 2! (two), and these have already been eyeballed. Some UAS somewhere i seem to recall.

The AFCOs are now in the process of turning pilot only wanna-be's away and getting those interested in others to reconsider their choices.

What has everyone else heard? (WZZ?)

That doesn't seem like an efficient use of RAF money!! Why hold selection boards for hundreds of pilot applicants if there's no places?

Where did your info come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    That doesn't seem like an efficient use of RAF money!! Why hold selection boards for hundreds of pilot applicants if there's no places?

Where did your info come from?
    AFCO insider, who had got briefed that morning. Apparently, theres a big conference next year for all AFCO staff, whether this is covered i dunno. It is legit info. I was in 2 minds as to share it as it's pretty damming, but its the word so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    You've been getting your leg pulled, there will be a requirement for something like 60 pilots next year. And i'm pretty sure that the deadline for the training programme to be sorted is end of the next financial year at which point recruitment should rise again to a level in keeping with the new "streamlined" airforce.

But i'm sure WZZ could elaborate.

ReputationRep:
    I find it difficult to see how the RAF could or would misuse money in that way;especially given the cuts and streamlining of services. Sounds like someone is scaremongering to me:eek:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.