semisonic
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Yep can't believe it's two. From the little I know I believe that this year and next year will be the most frugal (maybe around 50 pilots +) and then returning to normal after that.
Blue_Wolf75
Report 14 years ago
I talked to a couple of OASC boarding officers while I was at Grantown on Spey and they said it was just a rumour that seems to have spread.

And besides AFCO staff don't get told the number of positions are available because it isn't their job to select, its their job to recruit and filter. If they knew the numbers then it would put in a subjective element into whether they put people forward to Cranwell, whereas the should only be marking a candidate against a set criteria. If they meet those criteria they go to Cranwell.

And if they were only taking 2 pilots there would be no flying training courses planned for the end of the financial year, which there is.
maverick_87
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=REME-Bod]They DO look at what you've done though because that can be used as an indication of your potential, and indeed, what you can bring to the party.QUOTE]

Do they take extra curricular stuff very seriously? Because ive done absolutely f**k all.... unless they count playing football down the park every day!

In seriousness does anyone know whether it is worth me joining the ATC, as im 17, and will be 18 in September. At my local AFCO they advised me to join, so i contacted them and they say i can but... does anyone join this late, and will it just be a waste of time?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=Jamie_JAGGERS]
(Original post by REME-Bod)
They DO look at what you've done though because that can be used as an indication of your potential, and indeed, what you can bring to the party.QUOTE]

Do they take extra curricular stuff very seriously? Because ive done absolutely f**k all.... unless they count playing football down the park every day!

In seriousness does anyone know whether it is worth me joining the ATC, as im 17, and will be 18 in September. At my local AFCO they advised me to join, so i contacted them and they say i can but... does anyone join this late, and will it just be a waste of time?

Jamie, you asked this a few months ago and was advised to join then!!

Extra curriculars are taken very seriously, as they show whether you've got the motivation and commitment to make the most of the opportunities you're offered. If I was you I'd look at joining your ATC asap and get involved in the adventurous training, sports, D of E, community work, BTEC's etc that they offer. You can pack a lot in;even in a few months!!

I'm going Glacier walking in Norway with them soon;something I'd never have done otherwise!!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
REME, forgot to say thanks for your post re interview q's. Thanks;It'll seriously help a lot of people.

Just glad I'm not competing against you for a place
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I got the information from the local college today at last!
Good news is they do the course I need! \o/
bad news is ive got to pay my way now, 4 years of free education and got to pay now (well im scottish its my place to moan about this ) but If I read right its £52 per subject and there are 4 subjects so it isnt too bad. I had fears of £400 or more.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)

yes they do take extra curricular stuff seriously. In my UAS interview you can score between 1(lowest) and 6(highest). They asked me what I did from day to day. I told them that I am at university doing engineering 9-5pm. Then I work 6-12am. On the weekends I volunteer at an RSPCA clinic and go swimming and/or running and then have work in the evenings. I try to get out to horseriding about every 1 1/2 weeks. I was given a score of 3 for not having extra curricular activites. Fortunatly that was my lowest score. Put down EVERYTHING you have done from the age of 12. Everything! The more you have the better but don't make it up. You make up that you love snowboarding and you are bound to have a snowboarder interviewing you. I said I did horseriding and my interviewer grew up on a horse stud!

JOIN YOUR ATC!!! Why the hell are you waiting? You're 18 in September? So what? That is 9 months of a taste of the RAF. If you are seriously wanting the RAF go and get it. Its better than sitting your ass on civvy street doing nothing. At least you will be learning about what the RAF is like and you will meet people who will be able to guide you.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
60 ish pilots doesn't seem like a lot either! Hopefully in about 3 years they will be recruiting more! I seriously doubt the 2 though. No way would it be 2. What about all the old boys leaving? Though there has been talk of lots of holding officers scattered about but I don't see how they would cause such as backlog as to only allow 2 pilots in this year! Sorry, very unbeliveable! As for them scouting the UAS's, maybe they are useful after all!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Well I got the information from the local college today at last!
Good news is they do the course I need! \o/
bad news is ive got to pay my way now, 4 years of free education and got to pay now (well im scottish its my place to moan about this ) but If I read right its £52 per subject and there are 4 subjects so it isnt too bad. I had fears of £400 or more.

so, how long are you a student for then? I feel your pain! My course costs £1,200 a year! Bring on flying pay!!
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
so, how long are you a student for then? I feel your pain! My course costs £1,200 a year! Bring on flying pay!!
Well, hopefully another 6 months to do that course, but knowing my luck they would probably force me to do intermediate 1
But maybe I could get some basic accounting course going at the same time?
I'll need to talk to them properly about all this.

I was having a bit of a Gordon Brown moment there, be it we're both from the same town, must be something in the air
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
JOIN YOUR ATC!!! Why the hell are you waiting? You're 18 in September? So what? That is 9 months of a taste of the RAF. If you are seriously wanting the RAF go and get it. Its better than sitting your ass on civvy street doing nothing. At least you will be learning about what the RAF is like and you will meet people who will be able to guide you.

Ditto
cwarranto
Report 14 years ago
I didn't honestly think i was getting my leg pulled. The guy i spoke to has been pretty straight and to the point for the few years that i have know him. He isn't in a position of bending the truth for his own gain. However, he could have been sold a porker all the same.

I speak to people in recruiting every week. Whether it is AFCOs or OASC/DoR. I regularly chat to a few flying chaps down at Linton-on-Ouse who have been put on hold for no particular reason. They are stuck flying Mahogany Bombers (desk job) until they get the green light again (probably in 05).

If you think logically, all the ones selected for IoT as Pilots in late 04 have either got to wait for training until 05 or choose another post. There's a buffer zone on recruitment (a list of successful) and to discharge surplus in the buffer, which would take a good 6-8 months of marking time, which would fit in conveniently with my figures.

Having said that, i am open to other options. These are not gospel as people may point out. This was just my take on a bad situation, based on information i know. (Did you know there is now more ATC cadets wearing an RAF uniform, than there is RAF Personnel wearing RAF uniform! - random fact)
heapsey
Report 14 years ago
regarding the extra curicular stuff, i think thats the only reason why theve asked me to go to OASC cuz ive done loads over the last six years, i really cant see how 2 E's at a-levels have got me there really lol
so id say ex- curic activities are a must :-s
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
spoke to the station commander at Valley whos daughter is a friend of mine. Said not to believe everything you hear. Though he wouldn't specifiy numbers!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by semisonic)
Does anyone know when the December OASC review board is?

Many thanks.
It's in December.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
:What is the payload of a tornado GR4? (after I said I was interested in flying them)
Depends how heavy the nav is.

:What are the differences between a GR4 and an F3?
They're different colours, the F3's pointier (which is what makes your jet good), and as an F3 pilot there's less planning and you get to wear a scarf.

:What engine does a tutor have and what are its capabilities?
In turn; a small one, and not a bloody lot.

:What roles does RAF Cranwell have and where is it located?
To torture pilots before they get into the training system, and give weird old blunties somewhere to go to die.

:most people were only interested in free flying lessons!
I hate that phrase....!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
Sorry about the mexican wave too.
So you should be
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
Sorry to throw some cold water here, but i was recently (and very reliably) informed that in the next Financial Year (05/06) the total number of pilots required are.......... wait for it...... 2! (two), and these have already been eyeballed. Some UAS somewhere i seem to recall.

The AFCOs are now in the process of turning pilot only wanna-be's away and getting those interested in others to reconsider their choices.

What has everyone else heard? (WZZ?)
No, that's crap. We may have too many, but shutting down all the DE flights, all of the flying at Linton, METS, Shawbury and Valley for a year's a little on the silly side.

Course sizes will go down, pilot recruitment is already down to around 50% of previous years, but whoever said 2 is a moron.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
AFCO insider, who had got briefed that morning. Apparently, theres a big conference next year for all AFCO staff, whether this is covered i dunno. It is legit info. I was in 2 minds as to share it as it's pretty damming, but its the word so to speak.
There's an annual conference for all the AFCOs every year. It gets them all together, then they have a dining-in night in the evening.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
*groan*

Two days on a UAS and you want flying pay?

If you're keen on the GR4, you have 60-80 hrs Tutor to pass; not fly, remember, it's all assessed; then 130 Tucano, 60 Hawk, 40 Tactics and Weapons Hawk, then about 60-100 GR4 on the OCU. Then you get initial rate flying pay. Walk before run, eh? :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads