soph2004
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hi so nick have you been to cyprus then if so when where you there and did you live there
NickNack
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by soph2004)
hi so nick have you been to cyprus then if so when where you there and did you live there
lol wrong impression given - ive never been to cyprus, but they were talking about it on a "life in the RAF" video i saw at college.
mark9766
Report 15 years ago
hey, i know you guys have probably wentover all of this information before but i have just been called for a presentation at the afco, they say its gonna last bout 3 and half hours an i was just wondering what it will entail, they have already recieved my application form and i was wondering if an interview will be involved and what i should wear down ?
if its any help im aplying for an raf regiment officer.

any help given would be gratefully recieved. thanks
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've been waiting weeks now since 1st interview to hear if i'm going to Cranwell..my character ref's have just been contacted, is this a good sign? Anyone heard anything in the last week or so?
the_sikko
Report 15 years ago
Hey, I just completed OASC today, passed aptitude for every branch, blitzed the interview and passed the medical. My advice would be, don't worry! There is no max height set for pilot, its your upper leg length that matters. I'm 6'3.5 an I passed for pilot! However 4ppl failed cos they were too short! Don't bother swatting up on current affairs for the interview, they honestly don't care, it's your personality they're interested in. No air-rec needed whatsoever. Aptitude tests are great fun! A girl an I finished an hour before anyone else! Try beating 3.5 hours! (They're supposed to take 7!) Anyway email me if you want any advice: [email protected]
the_sikko
Report 15 years ago
You must have 6/6 (20/20) vision for pilot, definitely not if any lenses/glasses. They'll test you thoroughly. (And watch out for the cough test! Especially with the crazy old man).
Also, you must have an Engineering degree to join as a JEngO.
And there is no scholarship/bursary for regiment.
the_sikko
Report 15 years ago
You won't get any scholarship without a branch, don't forget the RAF are looking for people that will be of use to them, they don't want 'an officer' as such. You can't work your way up to engineer, its a qualification, if you did an OU course while you were in the RAF you could probably convert if you were on short service.
Oh and by the way I have the medical form with all the details if anyone wants them -- [email protected].
the_sikko
Report 15 years ago
Ooooh the cough test, all I can say, is prepare yourself. Also you're gonna have to walk around half naked for a while, which includes girls! (Hence a wax is recommended :P)
dannay99
Report 15 years ago
Icklecathy - Firstly, hiya! I phoned up Cranwell on Monday as I was concerned I had not heard anything either. They told me they had a sickness in the office before Christmas, and were just catching up. They have also contacted my character references, and she told me all things going well there, I would be going to Cranwell on April 4th, so I may even see you there!

Samuel - Yes, the AFCO is for all forces, so you could have a chat to one of the army guys there
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by the_sikko)
You must have 6/6 (20/20) vision for pilot, definitely not if any lenses/glasses. They'll test you thoroughly. (And watch out for the cough test! Especially with the crazy old man).
Also, you must have an Engineering degree to join as a JEngO.
And there is no scholarship/bursary for regiment.
Not 100% true; you must pass the test, which is possible with slighly poorer eyesight than 6/6. Don't worry about medical stuff, it's the only stuff you can't fix.

To be an EngO you need a maths, physics, or engineering degree. And you don't join as a JengO, that's a post on a squadron. Normally first tourist engineers don't go straight into that.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by the_sikko)
Hey, I just completed OASC today, passed aptitude for every branch, blitzed the interview and passed the medical. My advice would be, don't worry! There is no max height set for pilot, its your upper leg length that matters. I'm 6'3.5 an I passed for pilot! However 4ppl failed cos they were too short! Don't bother swatting up on current affairs for the interview, they honestly don't care, it's your personality they're interested in. No air-rec needed whatsoever. Aptitude tests are great fun! A girl an I finished an hour before anyone else! Try beating 3.5 hours! (They're supposed to take 7!) Anyway email me if you want any advice: [email protected]
There are max heights for each aircraft; I know of a guy sent to the fast jet stream who was turned around and sent multi-engine because his height meant he couldn't fit in a Tucano. Also, tall guys can snag their boot under application of full rudder in the Tucano; makes spinning interesting.

I would caution against not studying for current affairs; coming as someone who worked there, board members definately do look for that.

Aptitude tests are great fun; and I did them in 128 minutes. Must be getting harder....
mark1010
Report 15 years ago
Dannay

I'm off to cranwell on 4th april as well!
robert
Report 15 years ago
How do you now there's a pilot inthe room?
He tells you.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by robert)
How do you now there's a pilot inthe room?
He tells you.
That's Harrier pilots.
Pello
Report 15 years ago
Sikko, word of warning, don't be to confident I passed the aptititude in all branches, interview was easy and medical was fine and yet they sent a letter almost instantaneously saying re-aply in 2006!! lol, best of luck though it is tough!
Tornado_Tom
Report 15 years ago
Im Hoping to Apply in 2006, hopefully after i've got sixth form sponsorship. Which i recently sent of for. Do You apply for sixth form sponsorship during your first year of sixth form or before your first year, so year 11??

Cheers
JonEssex
Report 15 years ago
This has probably been asked before, but I can't find it in any of the hundreds of posts - has anyone got a recent summary of the structure of OASC and/or IOT? I think it has changed from what is outlined in http://www.airmenaircrew.freeserve.co.uk/.

I've got my filtering interview at AFCO and I reckon' they'll ask about this!

Thanks.
vikki
Report 15 years ago
i'm just waiting for my date. structure of oasc as far as i know is:
day 1: aptitide tests/medicals/interviews
day2: am -finish of medicals/interviews
pm til end (either 3 or 4 days i can never remember) leaderless task, command tasks, individual and group planning exercises, group discdussion, fitness test
there is a dvd of oasc and iot which i got from the afco - worth a watch.
for iot, theres information off the cranwell site - via raf.mod.uk
basically
basic stage - 4 weeks
intro to military life, drill, weapons etc
finishes in basic camp
foundation stage - 8 weeks
4 weeks into this stage move to college hall
leadership culmintates in leadership camp, after a couple of mini-camps
application stage - 8 weeks (?)
academics
carosel - 3 weeks
1 week adventure training
1 week station visit
1 week management simulator
last 2 weeks exams and prepration for graduation

hope that helps
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tornado_Tom)
Im Hoping to Apply in 2006, hopefully after i've got sixth form sponsorship. Which i recently sent of for. Do You apply for sixth form sponsorship during your first year of sixth form or before your first year, so year 11??
Why would you only want to apply in 2006? Get sponsored through uni, otherwise join straight in if you don't want to go through uni.

I have no idea how sixth form sponsorship works; it's not as popular as university sponsorship in the aircrew world.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JonEssex)
This has probably been asked before, but I can't find it in any of the hundreds of posts - has anyone got a recent summary of the structure of OASC and/or IOT? I think it has changed from what is outlined in http://www.airmenaircrew.freeserve.co.uk/.

I've got my filtering interview at AFCO and I reckon' they'll ask about this!
OASC is split into two parts. Part one involves aptitude tests, for all branches; everyone does them all, so if you fail some requirement for your top choice, they can turn to you and point out what a brilliant fighter controller you'd make. There's a medical, slightly longer for aircrew, involving height/weight/measurements, urine, doc's exam, eyes, ears etc. Then there's the interview, which is again in two parts. Part one's about you, part two's about the world and the RAF.

Part two of OASC is the syndicate phase, when you're in groups of 5 or so. You complete a leadership task; get across the shark infested custard carrying this stuff using only this stuff without touching that; without a nominated leader. There's a group planning exercise, with a scenario involving lots of SDT questions etc, and your group having to answer questions about your plan posed by the board. There's also an individual problem, along the same lines. There's a group discussion, where you, well, discuss topics as a group. Then there's the command tasks, like the first thing but with a nominated leader each time.

IOT is split into phases as well; Basic Phase is weeks 1-4, and is basic military skills. 5-11 (I think) is the Leadership Phase, ending in Field Leadership Camp of a week and a half. 13-18 form the Academic Phase, then 18-20 is Carousel, where the squadron splits into thirds and does adventurous training, a station visit, and a management simulator week. Then you do a week's military skills to prepare for the final exercise, which is a week away, called Exercise Peacekeeper. Then you have Champagne Monday (find out if you're gradding or being recoursed) followed by 2 weeks of drinking and practicing your drill.

You'll graduate on the Thursday of week 24, although I think they're bumping the course up to 32 weeks shortly.

That's a brief overview. If you've got any specific questions, or you want to know more in-depth, email me at [email protected].
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.37%
It's just nice to be back! (182)
27.49%
Not great so far... (238)
35.95%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.18%

Watched Threads