Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
True, but I wasn't flying the real thing at 17 either. Took me until 18 to even get my hands on a Bulldog! It's a bit of a shame really. It's not like anyone's stopping them from getting onto a UAS or getting off to IOT and doing it too....

That just highlights what we were saying earlier about some people preferring to delude themselves about how important they really are! When faced with real RAF pilots, their best form of defence is to ignore or attack
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
What is Santa bringing you for Christmas WZZ?

Cheaper Mess bar bill?
In order to do that, Santa would have to stop me going to the bar. You don't want me to be unsociable, do you?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
There's always beer; that makes you smart, right?
Well it seems to work for me! I can always solve world hunger, peace, poverty etc after a couple of glasses of wine
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
That just highlights what we were saying earlier about some people preferring to delude themselves about how important they really are! When faced with real RAF pilots, their best form of defence is to ignore or attack
... while hiding behind their expensive sunglasses, with their flying suit sleeves rolled up.... :rolleyes:

As I keep saying, I think the guys doing this aged 16-17 are great. The ones doing it at 20-odd should really be thinking about doing it in the RAF. Unless of course they've left the cadets, got a normal civvy job, and do it as a hobby to help out, in which case it's great again
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well it seems to work for me! I can always solve world hunger, peace, poverty etc after a couple of glasses of wine
There you go! No more moaning, there's your fountain of knowledge
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
There you go! No more moaning, there's your fountain of knowledge

Ah, so that's what it is :p:
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Cheeky. You've evidently been at it already
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Cheeky. You've evidently been at it already

Of course not;I'm not old enough!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
... while hiding behind their expensive sunglasses, with their flying suit sleeves rolled up.... :rolleyes:

Well they've got to look the part haven't they
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
There's always beer; that makes you smart, right?
If beer makes you smart why didn't i get a 1st eh

and Oi nikki i was defending the kids not trying to insult them its not your fault if you (Not you in particular though) don't know things, I mean thats why they ask questions to learn things, so if people put them down for asking questions how are you ever to learn??
carrierlanding
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)

As I keep saying, I think the guys doing this aged 16-17 are great. The ones doing it at 20-odd should really be thinking about doing it in the RAF. Unless of course they've left the cadets, got a normal civvy job, and do it as a hobby to help out, in which case it's great again
I'm 19 and do it. I have thought about doing it in the RAF but they said no last time i applied. So hopefully next time i apply i'll be able to tell them that i teach young people how to fly to a standard where they can go off on their first solo.

I wear expensive sunglasses! but only cos i'd rather have the best chance of seeing some other aircraft and avoiding it, rather than hitting it and killing myself and some other persons kid - it ain't some maverick wannabe thing!
cwarranto
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by carrierlanding)
I wear expensive sunglasses! but only cos i'd rather have the best chance of seeing some other aircraft and avoiding it, rather than hitting it and killing myself and some other persons kid - it ain't some maverick wannabe thing!
What, even when you're on the ground, out of the aircraft and waiting in the crew room?

Or waiting in line at Tesco's when you've been sent on the lunch run?

(rofl)
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by carrierlanding)
I'm 19 and do it. I have thought about doing it in the RAF but they said no last time i applied. So hopefully next time i apply i'll be able to tell them that i teach young people how to fly to a standard where they can go off on their first solo.

Good; you fall (luckily for me) into the "good" category I was chatting about! I also own about £800 worth of sunglasses, admittedly, but I'm biased against their flying use because I wear a helmet with a lovely dark visor. However, the comments about the queue at Tesco ring a bit true with some I've seen. When it's BKN008 you probably don't need them on
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Of course not;I'm not old enough!
How very diplomatically put
carrierlanding
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
What, even when you're on the ground, out of the aircraft and waiting in the crew room?

Or waiting in line at Tesco's when you've been sent on the lunch run?

(rofl)
Yeah i wear them on the ground. Waiting in the crew room? i think you've mistaken me for a vigilant driver. At our airfield, flying from one of the ends, you are looking directly into the sun when you tell the pilot its all clear behind him and he can launch. Need sunglasses for that. I imagine a cable would be like a cheese wire if it hit a glider....

Waiting in line at Tesco? We have death boxes provided by the the cheapest bidder for lunch. Although a full english breakfast and a curry in the evening for a cost of 43p each make up for the poison at lunchtime!
carrierlanding
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
When it's BKN008 you probably don't need them on
Don't worry. I don't wear them!

In relation to being a member of staff on a VGS, do the RAF care when you go to apply?

Mark
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes and no; as with most things, it's not an immediate ticket in, but it's aviation related, has a military connection, is volunteer work, involves working with kids, and all sorts of other stuff that makes you look pretty good.

It's more during EFT that some guys you'll have worked with run into snags. "I used to glide, I know all about flying...." :rolleyes:
carrierlanding
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Yes and no; as with most things, it's not an immediate ticket in, but it's aviation related, has a military connection, is volunteer work, involves working with kids, and all sorts of other stuff that makes you look pretty good.

It's more during EFT that some guys you'll have worked with run into snags. "I used to glide, I know all about flying...." :rolleyes:
Thanks. I know several people who are like that at the moment and who want to join the RAF....
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A touchy subject. Point out to them that any time in the air, in any environment, is time well spent. Time in a glider will build airmanship, and improve some knowledge of all the aerodynamics and principles of flight you want to know. However, it has nothing to do with EFT, or any further military training; NOTHING does. Any of them who get in will be starting from square one, and I don't care how many launches they have, other than a little bit of airmanship, some initial handling skills and a small understanding of aviation, they have nothing to their benefit.

It will help in that you'll know effects of controls. It'll help in that you know some of the basics of aerobatics. It won't help you with sortie management, emergencies, advanced aeros, most GH, powered circuits, formation, navigation, low flying, instrument flying............
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Vladek)
If beer makes you smart why didn't i get a 1st eh

and Oi nikki i was defending the kids not trying to insult them its not your fault if you (Not you in particular though) don't know things, I mean thats why they ask questions to learn things, so if people put them down for asking questions how are you ever to learn??

Maybe so, but 'It's not my fault I don't know things' is insulting as I believe I have as good a knowlege about the RAF, and the branch I'm applying for, as anyone here (Wzz excluded). And being spoken about as a 'kid' who needs to ask questions to learn things is both patronising and uncalled for. As I said earlier, reaching 18 is a number, it doesn't give you all the answers, and just because someone is younger than you doesn't mean you have all the answers either!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (294)
34.23%
No (565)
65.77%

Watched Threads