BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
you need two and I think it has to be someone who has known you for longer than a year but is not related to you. Maybe a school teacher?
melly742
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
you need two and I think it has to be someone who has known you for longer than a year but is not related to you. Maybe a school teacher?

Oh thanks, that has cheered me up, got lots of those!
Happy new year everyone!!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I thought one of them had to be your current/last employer? If you're still at school, then obviously the head teacher has to supply one instead.

If you've just started a PGCE I would imagine one of your tutors there will have to be a referee. Don't know how you stand if you've gone back to full time education after leaving a job though (if i've understood that right!). My guess (which may not be right) is that your current tutor, plus your previous employer woudl have to be referees.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by melly742)
I have graduated and started a PGCE course. I had some hobbies whilst at university,but during my PGCE I didn't have time. Now I have moved home, so cannot continue with them anymore. Shall I just say what I did at university? I practise programming and stuff, but I don't suppose they will like that.
You should probably try to include some 'team' type hobbies as well. Any sports teams, clubs, societies you were involved in through uni would be good.

Also, I'm quite short sighted, but I want to do photography, and I can see close objects very well. I have no idea what my optician details are, but I can just about get around without my glasses. Just wondering if anyone had any sort of general rule for the sort of eye sight you need.
If you do a search on this thread, and careers for 'eyesight/opticians' you'll probably find a bit of info setting out minimum requirements for eyesight, although I think most of it is related to pilots.

Have you had a look on the RAF careers website: www.rafcareers.co.uk That might be useful for the specifics of the branch you're interested in.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hi, I thought I would write on this thread as I couldn't find one for trades. I would like to apply to trades, but am now concerned at how much emphasis the RAF put on hobbies. I have graduated and started a PGCE course. I had some hobbies whilst at university,but during my PGCE I didn't have time. Now I have moved home, so cannot continue with them anymore. Shall I just say what I did at university? I practise programming and stuff, but I don't suppose they will like that. Also, I'm quite short sighted, but I want to do photography, and I can see close objects very well. I have no idea what my optician details are, but I can just about get around without my glasses. Just wondering if anyone had any sort of general rule for the sort of eye sight you need.

Thank you for any help!
you should be fine for trades, although I'm no optician!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
I thought one of them had to be your current/last employer? If you're still at school, then obviously the head teacher has to supply one instead.

If you've just started a PGCE I would imagine one of your tutors there will have to be a referee. Don't know how you stand if you've gone back to full time education after leaving a job though (if i've understood that right!). My guess (which may not be right) is that your current tutor, plus your previous employer woudl have to be referees.
I really can't remember than far back, which is shocking. I know that I put down my current employer and someone known to my family who was a doctor.
melly742
Report 15 years ago

No it was just a rubbish part time/ holiday job. I'm not sure what I would do because the last time they were asked for a reference from me they literally forget. I was thinking of asking the chaplain from my uni, I did voluntary work for her, don't know if that would count, ha ha! Thanks for all your help guys!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No it was just a rubbish part time/ holiday job. I'm not sure what I would do because the last time they were asked for a reference from me they literally forget. I was thinking of asking the chaplain from my uni, I did voluntary work for her, don't know if that would count, ha ha! Thanks for all your help guys!
you can still ask a school head/guidance teacher though I think there is a time limit on it. I can't remember if it is 2 or 3 years. Blast my memory.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I wouldn't have thought you'd have to put it, as lots of students get p/t jobs. If you're now doing some kind of voluntary work that's probably o.k as that's your last job. Have a chat with your local AFCO, they're really friendly and should be able to advise you properly (including the eyesight).
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I wouldn't have thought you'd have to put it, as lots of students get p/t jobs. If you're now doing some kind of voluntary work that's probably o.k as that's your last job. Have a chat with your local AFCO, they're really friendly and should be able to advise you properly (including the eyesight).
no AFCO messes up peoples eye abilities and tells them they can't go for pilot when they can :mad:

wait....maybe they were just putting me down gently...
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
no AFCO messes up peoples eye abilities and tells them they can't go for pilot when they can :mad:

wait....maybe they were just putting me down gently...

Perhaps you were just unfortunate in who you got!

The officers at my local AFCO have been lovely, and haven't told me any rubbish info yet (well at least none I'm aware of).
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Perhaps you were just unfortunate in who you got!

The officers at my local AFCO have been lovely, and haven't told me any rubbish info yet (well at least none I'm aware of).
the ones in aberdeen were lovely. I even fancied one! As for Bristol, from what I have seen they don't seem as friendly. In fact I felt like I was wasting their time.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the ones in aberdeen were lovely. I even fancied one! As for Bristol, from what I have seen they don't seem as friendly. In fact I felt like I was wasting their time.

Looks like you'll have to go to Aberdeen then if you want any queries answering
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Looks like you'll have to go to Aberdeen then if you want any queries answering
I think it is better to stay away from temptations! I had been annoying them for years which is probably why I found them friendly. I actually knew them.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think it is better to stay away from temptations!

Lol.You're probably right
melly742
Report 15 years ago
Anyone know about the Portsmouth branch? ha ha
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Anyone know about the Portsmouth branch? ha ha

AFCO (RAF)
Cambridge Road
PORTSMOUTH
PO1 2EN

T: 0845 605 5555
F: 02392 023 9287 7320
E: [email protected]

Most info is fairly easy to look up
Daveo123
Report 15 years ago
Hi all,

Just to let you know, Easyjet are donating 25p per click to the National Society for Epilepsy at the following link:

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/News/20041224_01.html

Please click it and pass it on to everyone.

Regards
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo123)
Hi all,

Just to let you know, Easyjet are donating 25p per click to the National Society for Epilepsy at the following link:

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/News/20041224_01.html

Please click it and pass it on to everyone.

Regards

Dave

You want to put this as a thread in some of the other forums to take full advantage of it. General chat would probably be a good one to start in.
Daveo123
Report 15 years ago
Dave

You want to put this as a thread in some of the other forums to take full advantage of it. General chat would probably be a good one to start in.
I'll do that! Thanks Nikki
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.36%
No (596)
65.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed