RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
Hell no. You've just been put in charge of moral boosting. Carry on.

An army private, a royal marine and an RAF pilot are each driving around the Kuwaiti dessert in the middle of the night trying to find the main road to Kuwait City. Suddently, the three cars crash at a T junction, sending the wrecked cars flying off in all directions.

They all climb out of there wrecked vihicles and look at each other in disbelief. The private turns to the others and says 'I think that God has allowed us to survive so that we can become best friends.'

The other two nod their agreement and the pilot syas 'lets put our rivarly behind us'

The RAF Pilot walks over to his wrecked car, pulls out a bottle of whisky and shows it to the other two. 'Look what god has also allowed to survive', he says, 'I think that it is a sign that we should drink to our new friendship.'

The private takes the bottle off the pilot and say 'to us'. After he swigs about a third of the bottle he passes it to the marine who also starts to drink it. After the marine has drank a third of the whisky he passes it to the marine.

The pilot looks at the other two but doesnt drink any of it. Instead he screws the cap back on, and says 'I think ill wait until after the military police arrive.'
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
:eek: why the negetive rep for some jokes? That wasn't very nice :rolleyes:
cwarranto
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
:eek: why the negetive rep for some jokes? That wasn't very nice :rolleyes:
Not guilty - i put on positive
(Still new to this reputation thingy)
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not guilty - i put on positive
ah it was you! it came up as a grey gem so I wasn't sure
Edit:would return it but it says I have given out too much rep in the last 24hrs
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hell no. You've just been put in charge of moral boosting. Carry on.
I'm sure you must have meant morale! Probably a freudian slip
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
crap I'm so nervous about my first flight tomorrow. I can't remember the last time I was nervous. I'm assuming this is a common thing to be worried about?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hardy har har!

I assume tonight we will just get settled on base so I *could* go for a run to warm myself up for it....or not.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah I will try telling that to the PTO in the morning

'just 5 more minutes' ZzzzZzzz

Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Does anyone know whether the medical for UAS is as stringent as the real one for the RAF? I'm just wondering whether you could pass a UAS medical for the branch you want to go into, but then find you're assessed as not medically fit when you apply for the RAF?
No, it's the same; that's why they're all centralised at OASC now. In the past you had a lot of people being let in when below standards because the docs thought it was "just for a couple of years in the UAS." Said stude enjoys it, flies well, applies, and is told they're too short/short-sighted or whatever.

Plus, why train someone you can't recruit one day?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by melly742)
I have graduated and started a PGCE course. I had some hobbies whilst at university,but during my PGCE I didn't have time. Now I have moved home, so cannot continue with them anymore.
Question one would be was your PGCE really that busy? Did it fill every day, 7am until 8pm, with some homework, to the extent that you had no time at all for any hobbies?

Question two would be what hobbies exist that can only really be done in one place? Now you've moved home, why can't you pick up golf/karate/cycling/photography/reading to the blind wherever you are now?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no AFCO messes up peoples eye abilities and tells them they can't go for pilot when they can :mad:
Without wanting to leap wildly to the defence of CIS staff, did they refer to an optician's report, send you for an eye test, or just ask you how bad your eyes were?

At the end of the day the standards are written down and aren't classified, so it's easy enough to go to an optician yourself, and check.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
any ideas on what I should be bringing to UAS training? I have a sports kit (and a couple changes) and suits, just wondering if anything else might be needed
Errr... as in a Freshers' Camp, a day's flying, or a training night?

Colerne's a marine base so has hideously up-their-own-arse dress regulations, so the suit's a good bet....
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
crap I'm so nervous about my first flight tomorrow. I can't remember the last time I was nervous. I'm assuming this is a common thing to be worried about?
Nope, not at all! Famil flights are purely to get you used to the environment of being airborne, and to make sure all your kit works. It's an opportunity to make sure your cushions are comfy, your helmet fits, you can reach and see everything, and you're generally happy in the air. If anything's not right, sort it then or on the ground immediately after; the work starts on trip 2!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
the dundee afco tried to talk me into aircrew at one point, even though my eyesight definetly wouldnt be up to scratch for it
Well, maybe not for pilot, but there are plenty of other flying jobs requiring something like 6/24 correctable to 6/6..............
melly742
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Question one would be was your PGCE really that busy? Did it fill every day, 7am until 8pm, with some homework, to the extent that you had no time at all for any hobbies??
to be honest, yes. I would get up at 5 and catch the 6am bus for a 2 hour journey, and arrive home either at 7, or at 5 and then have to lesson plan.

(Original post by Wzz)
Question two would be what hobbies exist that can only really be done in one place? Now you've moved home, why can't you pick up golf/karate/cycling/photography/reading to the blind wherever you are now?
One of the things I did I could only do at my uni (it was a little group that our uni thought of), but I will try to pick some up again once I get a part time job and can pay for them! Thanks

48 minutes later - thought of some things I do now - helping out at the local junior school whenever they need me, and running! Also - I've got a 1 and 2 cross award from St Johns Ambulance - but I took it in school. Should I enter it in application? Is there a way to enter it in the application? Ta
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Well, maybe not for pilot, but there are plenty of other flying jobs requiring something like 6/24 correctable to 6/6..............
Aha, i'll go checking into that some more, see how my eyesight is rated on that scale (know they are corrected to -3.5 on the power rating with my glasses)
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
No, it's the same; that's why they're all centralised at OASC now. In the past you had a lot of people being let in when below standards because the docs thought it was "just for a couple of years in the UAS." Said stude enjoys it, flies well, applies, and is told they're too short/short-sighted or whatever.

Plus, why train someone you can't recruit one day?

That's what I'd assumed.

A friend of mine is just joining a UAS and passed for pilot, but he used to wear glasses when he was younger. He doesn't need to wear them now, but I wouldn't have thought his vision has suddenly reached the standards required for pilot;hence my query. Perhaps it's some other flying job he's going for?
Sammmason
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hey i've only just joined the forums! Its so nice to hear so many people that know what they want to do with their lives! I've wanted to join the RAF as a fast jets pilot since the age of about 6! im also a member of the ATC and am an avid flyer! ive been lucky enough to get 3 different flying scholarships working towards my PPL (Private Pilots Licence) ive been solo on one of my scholarships. I was 16 when that was about. Not bad i can fly from the age of 16, but cant drive a car and now that im 17 my flying is getting better and i still cant drive! lol
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
That's what I'd assumed.

A friend of mine is just joining a UAS and passed for pilot, but he used to wear glasses when he was younger. He doesn't need to wear them now, but I wouldn't have thought his vision has suddenly reached the standards required for pilot;hence my query. Perhaps it's some other flying job he's going for?
Quite probably. Mind you, I got told at school I needed glasses, and I seem to be doing alright without them so far!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sammmason)
ive been lucky enough to get 3 different flying scholarships working towards my PPL (Private Pilots Licence) ive been solo on one of my scholarships. I was 16 when that was about. Not bad i can fly from the age of 16, but cant drive a car and now that im 17 my flying is getting better and i still cant drive! lol
Well, good

Don't think it all ends when you've gone solo! If you're interested in military flying, I suggest you get yourself along to your local AEF; I presume you're an air cadet? Start learning a bit about military flying. Civvy flying's a bit of a dead-end into a military career.

Also, you can bin the "text-speak" stuff if you like
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.14%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.43%

Watched Threads