Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Quite probably. Mind you, I got told at school I needed glasses, and I seem to be doing alright without them so far!

He actuallly had to wear glasses when we were younger, which made me wonder how he passed the eye test for pilot!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Good question. You need to have pretty much perfect eyesight, but the range may be slightly greater in some ways than others. Short sightedness may be an absolute no, while long sightedness has a bit of flex. Likewise, he could have had them to correct something else which we're less concerned about; I know astigmatism's a bad thing, but other things may not be.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Good question. You need to have pretty much perfect eyesight, but the range may be slightly greater in some ways than others. Short sightedness may be an absolute no, while long sightedness has a bit of flex. Likewise, he could have had them to correct something else which we're less concerned about; I know astigmatism's a bad thing, but other things may not be.

Ah, right. I'd assumed glasses were a definite no for pilot's.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm guessing a little bit there, to be honest.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
I'm guessing a little bit there, to be honest.
That's why people should have them checked at an optician's first. It'd save the disappointment of applying if they had no chance. Although from what some people have said, the opticians reports haven't always been accurate!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Due to go to OASC soon and I'm beginning to get worried about how little I actually know. :eek:

I was just wondering how people are allocated to boards? Is it based on the experience/expertise of the boarding officers and the branch candidates are applying for, or is it just done fairly randomly?
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Due to go to OASC soon and I'm beginning to get worried about how little I actually know. :eek:
You'll be surprised what you can remember....in fact EVERYTHING you've ever done, read, experienced etc., etc. is all in the grey matter - the hard part is the recall of that information (I got told that by a instructor on an interview course I went on recently. I thought it was a load of old cobblers - since the course I've personally interviewed people who have recalled incidents going back some months, with detailed descriptions on what they were wearing, what they say, what they had to eat...... has to be seen to be believed!)

On a more practical note, try creating very brief summary notes of events, RAF structure, branches etc. Around 3-4 lines of text per subject if you can manage it...all they are is prompt notes; you'll be surprised what you remember. :idea:
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Arch-Angel)
You'll be surprised what you can remember....in fact EVERYTHING you've ever done, read, experienced etc., etc. is all in the grey matter - the hard part is the recall of that information (I got told that by a instructor on an interview course I went on recently. I thought it was a load of old cobblers - since the course I've personally interviewed people who have recalled incidents going back some months, with detailed descriptions on what they were wearing, what they say, what they had to eat...... has to be seen to be believed!)

On a more practical note, try creating very brief summary notes of events, RAF structure, branches etc. Around 3-4 lines of text per subject if you can manage it...all they are is prompt notes; you'll be surprised what you remember. :idea:

Thanks for that. I'm not sure I can even remember my own name at the moment. :eek:

I'm just being silly really, I'll be o.k once I'm there. I need to get some serious reading done though (in between revising for my chemistry exam next week!!)
Rab
Report 15 years ago
Hi I ve been revising for Physics, Biology and History all day not sure if its all going in hope most of it is.I ve got a folder thats filled with certificates from stuff I ve done at school and out of school do you think it would be worth taking it to Cranwell?

Going back ages my password was changed to.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I was just wondering how people are allocated to boards? Is it based on the experience/expertise of the boarding officers and the branch candidates are applying for, or is it just done fairly randomly?
A little of the second, and a teeny bit of the third.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Rab)
.I ve got a folder thats filled with certificates from stuff I ve done at school and out of school do you think it would be worth taking it to Cranwell?
Have they asked for it? If not, when did you fancy you were going to show it to them..... half way through an interview? Nope, I wouldn't bother.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Rab)
Hi I ve been revising for Physics, Biology and History all day not sure if its all going in hope most of it is.I ve got a folder thats filled with certificates from stuff I ve done at school and out of school do you think it would be worth taking it to Cranwell?

Going back ages my password was changed to.

You're going for pilot aren't you? You'll be at Cranwell the same time as me, although I'm going on the afternoon of Tuesday 8th Feb so you'll probably be just leaving by then.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Colerne's a marine base so has hideously up-their-own-arse dress regulations,

The mods have introduced a new 'warning system' about any swearing on the forum as from today! :eek: Apparently you get warnings and points for any swearing and are 'banned' for a set length fo time when you reach a certain number of points. :rolleyes:

I'm not making this up...honestly
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The mods have introduced a new 'warning system' about any swearing on the forum as from today! :eek: Apparently you get warnings and points for any swearing and are 'banned' for a set length fo time when you reach a certain number of points. :rolleyes:

I'm not making this up...honestly
Well, if they want to run this place like a nursery school then they can ban me, and I'll come back to helping people when the childish ban wears off..... :rolleyes:

P.S. Nikki, check your PMs....
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Well, if they want to run this place like a nursery school then they can ban me, and I'll come back to helping people when the childish ban wears off..... :rolleyes:

P.S. Nikki, check your PMs....

:eek: No, you can't do that. Who will I pester for advice
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Maybe I'll set up my own forum
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Sounds like an excellent idea to me. You'd have to be a bit more selective than TSR about who you gave membership to though
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sounds like an excellent idea to me. You'd have to be a bit more selective than TSR about who you gave membership to though
Could interview people to get in, I suppose....
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)

Actually I think advertising other forums is a reason for receiving a warning too :eek: You'll definitely have to set up your own now!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Bloody hell; when did this forum morph into Nazi Germany?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (294)
34.23%
No (565)
65.77%

Watched Threads