RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Tornado_Tom
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
I would want to try and get uni sponsorship aswell its just currently im 15 and going on to do sixth form next year so i was interested too find out about it.

Cheers anyway :cool:
vikki
Report 15 years ago
wahey! finally got a date, 27 april! 3 weeks before my finals but never mind.
Tornado_Tom
Report 15 years ago
Good luck Vikki Hope it goes alright.

superted
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by NickNack)
Firstly its NickNack not NikNak, we had that argument earlier Having not even sat the aptitude/leadership stuff yet (going this sunday for meds/apt/int) this is only what I understand to be right: I believe everyone goes through the same leadership tests and need to reach the same standards. However, there are two aptitude tests, one for Aircrew and one for groundcrew. The aircrew one lasts ~6 hours, with different standards required for different roles. The groundcrew lasts for 3 hours, not sure about the standards needed here. Also, the medical is less demanding for groundcrew than aircrew, eg your sight doesnt have to be as good to get in for ground positions.

All i can say for ur nerves is - read up on affairs, raf etc for the last year (the bbc website can help) and remember, the interview is the one thing at Cranwell you can control

Good Luck!

Can you have 25/20 sight? or would that mean you can see through walls...
superted
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
I've been waiting weeks now since 1st interview to hear if i'm going to Cranwell..my character ref's have just been contacted, is this a good sign? Anyone heard anything in the last week or so?
Have you heard anything yet? Maybe I can bother you for some info about things at cranwell because I'm going in March. However, don't want to harass you until you've heard if you like.

Bee
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by superted)
Have you heard anything yet? Maybe I can bother you for some info about things at cranwell because I'm going in March. However, don't want to harass you until you've heard if you like.
All I know is that they are waiting to receive and check my ref's and then they will send me a date, probably end of April or beginning of May. The wait continues!!!
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
All I know is that they are waiting to receive and check my ref's and then they will send me a date, probably end of April or beginning of May. The wait continues!!!
When I say a date for Cranwell I mean for OASC btw! Not sure if you thought id been already - Wzz is your best bet for info on that.
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
At Last!! got my date for OASC...April 27th...3 months to prepare.

Wzz, bearing this date in mind, if I was successful do you think i'd get in for June? If not would I be waiting til Ocotber? And what's all this about C Sqdn, sounds like fun to me!
rizzarazzu
Report 15 years ago
Hi everyone,

Been reading this thread for Pilot/Officer selection with great interest.
A lot of what i need to know with regard to OASC has been answered.

You lot know your stuff !

However, i am slightly off the beaten track here, with wanting to know if anyone has info. on how the OASC differs for those that want to join as Non-Commissioned aircrew - Air Loadmaster in particular. I understand that the tests and interviews are the same as those for Officer, but i need to know how the requirements for NCA differs from those that want a commission?

Have any of you taken part in NCA selection, pased or failed?

Are there any serving,or served, Air Loadmasters out there?

Any thoughts would be well recieved.

Just to fill in my background a bit, i'm a 26 year old male, approx. 5'7" tall (or should thatbe short !!). I have not been to Uni, neither do i have A-levels, but i have the required GCSE grades. After school, i applied for the Army, wanted to join the AAC as an Avionics tech, but a slight colour-visison deficiency was detected and was subsequently refused entry to this particular trade. My naive dream subsequently shattered, i decided against the Army and never really thought about the RAF. I was an Army cadet for 6 years and was kinda blinkered about the 3 services. It was Army or nothing. Nothing is exactly what happened, worked in the despatch dept. of a local factory for nigh-on 4 years, working up to the heady height of dept. assistant manager. Quit this post for a more lucrative position as a senior storeman for the MOD,looked at myself and thought "where the hell am i gonna be in 10-15 years in this dead-end job?" Decide then to retrain as a PC engineer. All was going well,passed the course and got a job as a simulator technician at an Army training establishment. Have been there for 3 years now,earning good money for what i do, but there is no excitement in it, and certainly no promotion prospects as all my superiors are mid-40's, ex-forces, picking up their pensions and looking like their feet are well and truly under the door for the next 20 years until retirement !!

Boredom has set in again, i need excitement in my 9-5. The RAF looks like it has it. I've always been greatly interested in flying and aircraft, Chinooks often make an appearance at my work and i always think what a great job the Loadmaster must have,the next best thing to being the pilot,i suppose.

Sorry to bore you all rigid, but thought i'd try and give as much info. as i can type the mo', in the hope that someone out there can give me the best answer.

I don't have the eyesight problem anymore,subsequent tests have found nothing !! I am of average fitness, not particurlalry well built but not unfit and i'm an ex-smoker.

Any info on thi particular job and i would be eternally grateful.

Thanks,,Best Regards and Good Luck to all of those on their way to OASC.

Darren.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oops
rizzarazzu
Report 15 years ago
Well thankyou.

you are a silly narb
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
At Last!! got my date for OASC...April 27th...3 months to prepare.

Wzz, bearing this date in mind, if I was successful do you think i'd get in for June? If not would I be waiting til Ocotber? And what's all this about C Sqdn, sounds like fun to me!
I think, branch specific, you might be pushing it a little bit for June. It's been a while since I worked in recruiting, so I'm not sure how long current waits are.

If you don't get June, you'll get August.

Darren, I know a fair bit about NCA selection. If I can offer any help, drop me a line.

A gentleman called Richard K wrote to me a while ago asking for some advice on NCA as well; unfortunately in the conversion to a new computer his email appears to have disappeared from my Hotmail account, so if he reads this, please do drop me a line again.

[email protected]
cwarranto
Report 15 years ago
Hi all. (my 1st post - so if it goes pear-shaped, my apologies)

I am currently waiting to go for my filter interview for officer in either RAF Police or Flight Operations. Air Traffic could be another option.

I recently heard that the RAFP was a dead-end job (quoting a senior officer) - Has any else heard this? I know the job role and training had recently changed to bring them into line with the RMP's, but not heard anythig else.

Also, and i know this sounds like a stupid question, but what IS a commission. I know what officers do, and what officers are required to be, but if i am asked, "what does a commission mean to you", i can't honestly reply. I have tried to search for info, but no avail.

Any help out there???

Cheers
Mike
the_sikko
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
Hi all. (my 1st post - so if it goes pear-shaped, my apologies)

I am currently waiting to go for my filter interview for officer in either RAF Police or Flight Operations. Air Traffic could be another option.

I recently heard that the RAFP was a dead-end job (quoting a senior officer) - Has any else heard this? I know the job role and training had recently changed to bring them into line with the RMP's, but not heard anythig else.

Also, and i know this sounds like a stupid question, but what IS a commission. I know what officers do, and what officers are required to be, but if i am asked, "what does a commission mean to you", i can't honestly reply. I have tried to search for info, but no avail.

Any help out there???

Cheers
Mike
A commission, as I see it, is something that the queen gives an officer which relates to his/her personal abilities in leading those below them. Its a way of seperating leaders from squaddies really. They seemed to like that in my OASC interview, so...
Biggles1211
Report 15 years ago
A Commission is a physical piece of paper given to you whilst at Cranwell. It is the Queen's authority for the nominated individual to issue legal orders on her behalf. They look good framed on your toilet wall!!!

In respect of the interview, you could interpret that question as "What does being an Officer mean to you?" They are checking to make sure that you understand the difference between Commissioned and Non-Commissioned ranks. Words such as 'responsibility', 'leadership' and 'duty' should feature prominantly in your answer!!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When they ask you what it means to you, quote some of the words on it. Good ones to pick up are: trust, confidence, loyalty, courage, good conduct, discipline, carefully, dilligently, duty, etc... pop in a few bits about honesty and integrity and you're in.
vikki
Report 15 years ago
Mike
Provost (RAFP) is not a dead end job. I went and had a look round the Tactical Police Wing last summer. They do all the counter intelligence stuff etc which looked really cool. I've ended up applying for Int because I didn't want to do any of the police work stuff, just counter-int etc. Its worth going to the AFCO and seeing if they can set something up for you. If not, try the SCLO (at some AFCOS like Liverpool, they do all the uni liason etc) the Wing Commander at Liverpool sorted 2 fan visits out for me and they were really useful.
beckyphillips
Report 15 years ago
i think that i heard something about there being waiting lists for pilots till 2006, is that right? has anyone passed there aptitude tests, but been told to come back? i heard that the RAF and the Navy are full to capacity with pilots for the next 2/3 years... oh dear..
mark1010
Report 15 years ago
Becky

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...hreadid=116529

That link seems to follow what you say, although it doesn't mention recruiting stopping. I did work experience with someone who had been on a 6 month hold between his flying training. Life sucks. I get to the point when i am going to Cranwell on the 4th April and they decide that they don't need as many pilots.
Biggles1211
Report 15 years ago
When people say "the RAF is full too capacity with pilots" it means that we have the correct numbers of pilots according to our planned requirement. However, ever year a large number of pilots reach the end of their Commissions and leave the Service, creating spaces for new entrants. That means that recruiting will continue to keep pace with those leaving the Service...and that's quite a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (72)
17.65%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (259)
63.48%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.9%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise