RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

High Best Cold
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im only a first year on the uas lol dont laugh but ive got (straight and level 1) as my nxt trip . me is worried about my checks forgot a few since b4 christmas argh
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Holds are a bit different. I guess they're a bit like circuits, but are based on a fix point at height, related to a navaid. They normally look a little out of place doing circuits, as you don't see many things that size doing them
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Andy Caldwell)
im only a first year on the uas lol dont laugh but ive got (straight and level 1) as my nxt trip . me is worried about my checks forgot a few since b4 christmas argh
Well, we all had to do it (albeit on a better aircraft back then ).... then again on the Tucano, then again on the Hawk.....

And don't worry about forgetting your checks. I forgot all mine over Xmas as well. :rolleyes:
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
From a GR7 mate's perspective, it probably doesn't fly in the vertical enough and has too many seats. If you're in a GR4 you probably think it's crap at its job, flies too far away from the ground, and is crewed by a ton of scarf-wearing primadonnas. If you fly the GR3 you're probably too busy applying to Virgin to worry about it, or wondering if you'll get airborne on your next sortie to actually get around to evading them on affil If you're in a Hawk, you're probably religously defending it or insulting it despite very little idea of what it's like to your coursemates, or wishing it would hurry up and die so you get posted to Typhoon instead. If you're an F3 mate, you probably wish it was a little bit more servicable and people realised how good it is with ASRAAM and AMRAAM, and how good you look with your scarf anyway. And wondering what this SEAD stuff's all about, and trying to avoid being posted to 4FTS.
Nice, now having nearly all the view points
Now how do the Canberra people feel, something to do with evenly matched heating in the cockpit and nav pod?
High Best Cold
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oooops
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Nice, now having nearly all the view points
Now how do the Canberra people feel, something to do with evenly matched heating in the cockpit and nav pod?
They're too old to have noticed the F3.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Linton's very nice, but at least 2 -4 years away for someone in your shoes so I wouldn't worry about it too much yet!

Radios are easy. Don't learn things by rote, and just think about what you need to say.
High Best Cold
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah im 1st year uas and 1st year uni only 18 so atleast 3 years away probably four if everything goes too plan think iot has gone up too 9months or is goin up . plus id have be pretty god like too get fast jet anyways . just gotta give this eft my all , seems like its gonna be well stressful with uni work tooo argh ! lol
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oooops
Why the oops?

Mate, find your shift key and your full stop key; your posts are making my head hurt!
High Best Cold
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Grammer isnt a concern of mine while posting on forums lol. Here you go neways a nice sentence with captials and full stops can i have a smiley stamp for my good work? So were you DE or UAS entrant ? What are you on now? Sorry I havnt read that far back yet.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
My parents also pushed me for oxford - I went down there for the interview process (more for them, really) and found that it, too, is a reasonable night out - don't think my interviewers appreciated my alchey breath and jaded eyes though (should I have taken it more seriously?!)
I like manchester (though it's a bit far to the uas at woodvale), liverpool has good ratings from old uas chums (nearer woodvale), and leeds is a top night out (fairly near church fenton - you can slap andy for his smiley!). Don't know how any of these go in terms of medicine though.
Glad to see you got your priorities right

I'd spend 3yrs in Manchester if I went to St Andrew's, which I wouldn't mind really. Leeds is a posibility, but Liverpool's a definite no.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
why not liverpool? is it no good for medics - I would have thought there'd be plenty of trade?!!
High Best Cold
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i do recomend leeds its good for shopping and nightlife , also Yorkshire UAS is quality " premier UAS "

my girlfriend goes too l'pool it was my 2nd choice but i dont really like the place ! it would be ok if it wasnt full of scousers lol
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
nikki, andy, I went to ELUAS, so I was based at leuchars. Nikki, I can tell you that St A's is a top place - I personally went to edinburgh, so I only ever visited, but the pubs are top, and dundee is an easy taxi ride away. I new some people who went to NUAS and found Durham good. My parents also pushed me for oxford - I went down there for the interview process (more for them, really) and found that it, too, is a reasonable night out - don't think my interviewers appreciated my alchey breath and jaded eyes though (should I have taken it more seriously?!)
I like manchester (though it's a bit far to the uas at woodvale), liverpool has good ratings from old uas chums (nearer woodvale), and leeds is a top night out (fairly near church fenton - you can slap andy for his smiley!). Don't know how any of these go in terms of medicine though.
Andy, I've had a few good nights courtesy of YUAS! Thanks to your predecessors! Do you still break into that old abandoned building (think it used to be the all ranks' club) during your town nights?!
You do know my local area well dont you! Are you from the Fife/lothian area or just come up here for Uni?

oh, been guilty of having a night out at the mardi in dundee then?
Im Speaking as a former abertay student, of course
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
why not liverpool? is it no good for medics - I would have thought there'd be plenty of trade?!!

The hospital placements would mean loads of travelling, I'm not too sure about the problem based learning approach to the course, and the uni facilities are only available during term time (not good if you're living in halls).

Plenty of trade for the hospitals though; perhaps a little too much
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
You do know my local area well dont you! Are you from the Fife/lothian area or just come up here for Uni?

oh, been guilty of having a night out at the mardi in dundee then?
Im Speaking as a former abertay student, of course
No, I only know the area from staying at leuchars for camps at UAS. And the odd overnight landaway!!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i do recomend leeds its good for shopping and nightlife

You can't go wrong with those as priorities

It may well be my insurance offer as it has a fairly decent reputation for medicine, although surprisingly a very high ratio of applicants to places. I'll know better when I've been to the open day
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=Nikki J S]The hospital placements would mean loads of travelling, I'm not too sure about the problem based learning approach to the course, and the uni facilities are only available during term time (not good if you're living in halls). QUOTE]

You really are very well researched, aren't you?! I'm sure you'll be fine in cranwell!!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Yeah, been in just over 5 years, pilot.

Were you sponsored through the RAF?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=dirts]
(Original post by Nikki J S)
The hospital placements would mean loads of travelling, I'm not too sure about the problem based learning approach to the course, and the uni facilities are only available during term time (not good if you're living in halls). QUOTE]

You really are very well researched, aren't you?! I'm sure you'll be fine in cranwell!!

Not really. I have a little book called 'The insiders guide to medical school', which gives the low down on uni life at each Unfortunately, I don't have the same for RAF questions likely to come up at OASC!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (203)
12.71%
Excited (139)
8.7%
Worried (290)
18.16%
Terrified (363)
22.73%
Meh (143)
8.95%
Confused (35)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (220)
13.78%
Impatient (204)
12.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise