the army would really not be amused
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Oh, I'm soooo sad I missed all the ***** fighting that went on earlier...BUT I REALLY WAS AT WORK!!! And Wzz, good banter, but don't forget, that really you too are still student scum!! How does that tannoy sound again---"Bing bong! Stude for a driving job to Ops...!!"
you said you were in the south....valley maybe? how was flying your end? It was a no go here which is a shame given the sunshine.
dirts
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
have you seen the bloody weather? I didn't fancy getting flipped backwards during takeoff. These FJ boys would have been flying. Poor tutors can't handle real british weather :rolleyes:
Yeah, but we only flew in the morning - we taffed 41 knots later in the day so had to can it too - peacetime parachute landing limits in case of ejection...
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you said you were in the south....valley maybe? how was flying your end? It was a no go here which is a shame given the sunshine.
No, I'm in East Anglia, Marham. What UAS did you just start - can't be arsed scrolling back!
Well impressed with your checks knowledge though...I didn't learn them properly till much later. Do you do FEEL checks in the Grob? Ahh, the glory day's are coming back! I can still remember my checks on the take off roll from the Bulldog!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Yeah, but we only flew in the morning - we taffed 41 knots later in the day so had to can it too - peacetime parachute landing limits in case of ejection...
yeah we can't go beyond 25K and it was gusting to 38K for the same reason. I could hardly walk the base let alone fly. Better improve next week :mad: You still in training? Sorry if you've answered this as Im still ctaching up on posts.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the army would really not be amused
Oh right...colerne. BUAS? You at Bristol itself then - what are you doing?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
No, I'm in East Anglia, Marham. What UAS did you just start - can't be arsed scrolling back!
Well impressed with your checks knowledge though...I didn't learn them properly till much later. Do you do FEEL checks in the Grob? Ahh, the glory day's are coming back! I can still remember my checks on the take off roll from the Bulldog!
Bristol UAS. What you flying if you don't mind me asking? (understand if you don't wish to say) Yeah I sat in the Grob every second I wasn't in briefs and got the engineers to run through the things that weren't set on paper for me. I went up to ATC for a bit for my R/T learning though I should really so more when I get back on base next week. I just want to show the boss I have the dedication and earn my EFT (which a lot of people don't do) Also I want to go solo by March if I can.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Oh right...colerne. BUAS? You at Bristol itself then - what are you doing?
was doing aero eng but course was 4yrs and Im 20 already so the squadron said change the degree or stay on and go DE. I wanted my EFT before DE so I risked my degree and swapped to something I hate with a passion. Biology. I intend to make myself feel better by bumming around on base.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, Marham is the proud home to 4 front line GR4 sqns and the PR9 Canberra sqn. (Lump in my throat!) Been here for about 2 years now...

We had to stay local because the rest of the country was out for wind or the cloudbase was too low to get any decent training out of it. Except the very very north of scotland which might have been workable, but it's a long way to go for a small area to work...

What do you want to fly later on, sublime?
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well we were drinking in the hanger (shock horror) and when we finished we took off to the mess for last orders in one of the boys cars. Guy behind me pulled my hair, I swung round to catch him in the jaw and punched a wondow. Clever eh?
Dear dear :rolleyes:
You didnt even get to the bar yet before taking a swing

oh and I get severe motion sickness and I have a fear of not knowing things either, hence by the time I went up for my first official flight I knew all my checks to help calm me down. Bit of a perfectionist which really isn't a good thing
To an excent its ok, does mean youve got an eye for detail I feel
But motionsickness, and wanting to be a pilot, bit messy isnt it
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
No, Marham is the proud home to 4 front line GR4 sqns and the PR9 Canberra sqn. (Lump in my throat!) Been here for about 2 years now...

We had to stay local because the rest of the country was out for wind or the cloudbase was too low to get any decent training out of it. Except the very very north of scotland which might have been workable, but it's a long way to go for a small area to work...

What do you want to fly later on, sublime?
I will go for my FJ if I can, if not I am looking to RW. I really am looking forward to getting my hands on a hawk (if I can) and will probably apply to Valley or Leeming for my summer experience. (unless one of you boys wants a shadow!) If I get FJ it would have to be the tornado GR4, if RW then the Merlin....not that Im picky!!!!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Dear dear :rolleyes:
You didnt even get to the bar yet before taking a swing

To an excent its ok, does mean youve got an eye for detail I feel
yes I can be quite irritating with details. As for the motion sickness, Lyneham will give me some perscription of sorts to fix me up and if I get my comission its off to a desensitising course for me!! Hopefully it will clear if I fly regularly though.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Nah, not necessarily! More navs than pilots tend to have trouble with airsickness through training - not because they're not as hard (which is, incidentally, true) - but because they're not in direct control of the aircraft. It's the same on your famil...from what I remember. You don't get as much hands-on time as you do from then on. Some pilots though do run into problems, and then (if you've done a sufficient time flying already) you get put on the sickies' course - which is exactly as it sounds. You do a whole load of stuff in the centrifuge at farnborough, so you puke, then you do a whole load of airborne puke-exes down at the aero-med place in...can't remember - yeovilton or henlow or somewhere... Nikki, lovely job for you perhaps?!
Anyway, I used to know a lad who was sick a bit on the UAS, but they kept on flying him and he got through it fine. He's on rotary now, which really would make me puke. :p:
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
And Wzz, good banter, but don't forget, that really you too are still student scum!! How does that tannoy sound again---"Bing bong! Stude for a driving job to Ops...!!"
Mind you, dude! At least you were in the bar and not around to bite from that one - and I'm off down the pub aswell, now. Goodnight everybody!
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Nah, not necessarily! More navs than pilots tend to have trouble with airsickness through training - not because they're not as hard (which is, incidentally, true) - but because they're not in direct control of the aircraft. It's the same on your famil...from what I remember. You don't get as much hands-on time as you do from then on. Some pilots though do run into problems, and then (if you've done a sufficient time flying already) you get put on the sickies' course - which is exactly as it sounds. You do a whole load of stuff in the centrifuge at farnborough, so you puke, then you do a whole load of airborne puke-exes down at the aero-med place in...can't remember - yeovilton or henlow or somewhere... Nikki, lovely job for you perhaps?!
Anyway, I used to know a lad who was sick a bit on the UAS, but they kept on flying him and he got through it fine. He's on rotary now, which really would make me puke. :p:
The lad that suffered doing rotary now, how ironic is that
I always thought the centrifuge was used to aclimitise to G limits. But then after a bit of thought I can understand how it would make your insides feel
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
I always thought the centrifuge was used to aclimitise to G limits. But then after a bit of thought I can understand how it would make your insides feel
god I havent even hit Gs yet :puke:
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
I always thought the centrifuge was used to aclimitise to G limits.
yeah it is, but it also gives you a horrible tumbling feeling when it slows down - the centrifuge has a cabin on hinges, which you get into. The machine winds you up, and it's the centrifugal force which then tilts the cabin so your arse points outwards and they simply increase the G by then increasing the rotational velocity - g=(mv^2)/r or something - ask those lot in the physics room, it's been way too long since I went to school! But it's when they slow it down again, your ears have got used to the acceleration in one dimension and then they have to cope with the sudden change in the dimension of acceleration when the cabin swings the right way up again. It's the fluid in the ears that send your brain a load of bollox info which your eyes don't agree with.
Or something like that! Makes you feel crap anyway!
Right, I really am off out to the boozer now!
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
god I havent even hit Gs yet :puke:
Like I said, it's fine when you're in control!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
yeah it is, but it also gives you a horrible tumbling feeling when it slows down - the centrifuge has a cabin on hinges, which you get into. The machine winds you up, and it's the centrifugal force which then tilts the cabin so your arse points outwards and they simply increase the G by then increasing the rotational velocity - g=(mv^2)/r or something - ask those lot in the physics room, it's been way too long since I went to school! But it's when they slow it down again, your ears have got used to the acceleration in one dimension and then they have to cope with the sudden change in the dimension of acceleration when the cabin swings the right way up again. It's the fluid in the ears that send your brain a load of bollox info which your eyes don't agree with.
Or something like that! Makes you feel crap anyway!
Right, I really am off out to the boozer now!
oh god, I better get used to it before they cart me off to that place!
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oh god, I better get used to it before they cart me off to that place!
I dont know why, but i'd love to try it, but then most ive experenced is Concorde on take off followed by an A320 on a full pelt take off.

How are you on riding a rollercoaster ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (625)
80.75%
Leave (149)
19.25%

Watched Threads