dirts
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Managed it once in a Tucano, albeit never in the Bulldog. Didn't try to trick him, just had the gall to roll right for a change. Slight "whump" noise over the intercom followed by a fairly sheepish "yeah, remember, tell me which way you're going when you're rolling.........."

Your boss would have loved it!
ALWAYS slow roll to the right! Guaranteed after a few attempts you'll be able to do it better than they ever can, and they big you up for it in their write-ups!
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
sometimes although I am up 5 days a week for some time to come and am living in. Want as much flying as possible before university gets underway again.
Fill your boots while you can!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Weren't taught by an old bloke by the initials PH at Linton were you? Only one I know who taught slow rolls right.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Weren't taught by an old bloke by the initials PH at Linton were you? Only one I know who taught slow rolls right.
"EEERRRGGHHHH NNeeooowww!!!"

The very same - although he never taught me aeros, only did my (B) Instrument Flying (C) test. Cacked myself before-hand - didn't know what to expect! Ledge! Have you ever heard the story involving the return from Cranwell ATC "Err, Lima XX, you appear to be squawking the Cranwell QFE??!!"
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
He was my instructor for about the first third of the course, and he was brilliant. Despite the occasional "neeeeooooww what are you doooooing?" I liked flying with him! The story seems familiar (no doubt stuck in Linton lore!) but I'd love to hear it again; drop me a line.

He's still there :rolleyes:
High Best Cold
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
are right rolls hard or something ? being on effects of controls 2 on EFT i would know . all i do @ mo is set , hold , trim the good old datum attitude :cool: . love it though . making a left turn around near linton me being abit gentle on my first control trip he was like " pull the stick, it wont hurt you "
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Andy Caldwell)
are right rolls hard or something ? being on effects of controls 2 on EFT i would know . all i do @ mo is set , hold , trim the good old datum attitude :cool: . love it though . making a left turn around near linton me being abit gentle on my first control trip he was like " pull the stick, it wont hurt you "
what flight you on :confused: I have the CFI so he lets me do some things. Done that stuff tho it is quite tedious!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not unless you pull it into your leg Everything with a prop has a direction it prefers to roll depending on the way the prop goes.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Not unless you pull it into your leg Everything with a prop has a direction it prefers to roll depending on the way the prop goes.
That's true, and I think as a legacy, people continue to prefer the slow roll left even on a jet! Sort out a slow roll right on a prop and you're laughing!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's down to "handedness" as well. With your right hand on the column, it's easier to move it left as it's a pushing movement rather than pulling.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
It's down to "handedness" as well. With your right hand on the column, it's easier to move it left as it's a pushing movement rather than pulling.
But which way did you prefer to turn (straight and level) in a bulldog? I'll wager it was still left, even though we flew left handed!! Wierd...
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
*yawn* c'mon boys give me some goss or something I can at least relate to!
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Andy Caldwell)
are right rolls hard or something ? being on effects of controls 2 on EFT i would know . all i do @ mo is set , hold , trim the good old datum attitude :cool: .
Yeah, that's right! Select, hold and trim!!
Power, attitude........trim!
you must be doing limitation, operation, indication aswell!! Unless the "trimmers" teach differently nowadays!!
I didn't even know what a "datum" was before I started flying!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
.... but then again, I preferred right hand circuits even sitting on the left!

The "handedness" comment came from the QFI we just discussed, I think. Next time I fly I'll see if I think he's right!
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
*yawn* c'mon boys give me some goss or something I can at least relate to!
Sos! I hope that last was any good...?!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
I didn't even know what a "datum" was before I started flying!!
I'm still frequently not sure. Is it a set of checks?
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
.... but then again, I preferred right hand circuits even sitting on the left!

The "handedness" comment came from the QFI we just discussed, I think. Next time I fly I'll see if I think he's right!
Cos we flew more often on 27!!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
nope its the optimum attitude
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Lol And if you have no idea what they're talking about it's even more like double dutch. Amusing though
haha yeah sorry, all four of us are flying even if 2 are just wannabes in their eyes. I understand it but its a little late to be talking checks!
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
I thought it was plural latin dried fruit!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.1%
No (603)
65.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed