RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Katie Pierce
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
I had my filter interview at the start of January (7th), has anyone who had an interview around then heard back yet? I'm starting to panic a little bit...! Was really hoping to get to OASC in April, but it's not looking likely anymore. Anyone any ideas when the next one is?

Cheers!
mevman
Report 15 years ago
Hi guys,

Very interesting thread. Lots of really useful information.

I've got 2 years left of uni, and was wandering if there's anything I can do other than reserach and get fitter before i finish. I'm abroad at the moment so can't join the UAS as you have to be there for a 5 term minimum.

Again, thanks for the info, and good luck to anyone who has interviews etc.

Ells
Katie Pierce
Report 15 years ago
All I can suggest is to get involved in everything, and make the most of any opportunities that you have. Take on roles of responsibility, and do organised sports (join teams, clubs etc).

And most of all, enjoy it - you don't realise how much you're going to miss daytime TV...!
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Katie Pierce)
I had my filter interview at the start of January (7th), has anyone who had an interview around then heard back yet? I'm starting to panic a little bit...! Was really hoping to get to OASC in April, but it's not looking likely anymore. Anyone any ideas when the next one is?

Cheers!
Hi Katie, my date is for 27th April and I got that over 1 week ago now...I really wanted to go on the 4th April so I know how you feel! I suppose you'll be looking at May now.

Quick Q for you. I've got some family abroad who I want to visit for 2 weeks in May. Do you think I should go or should I be here waiting for my results?
vikki
Report 15 years ago
cathy, i'm going to oasc on the 27th too. supposedly it takes min. 3 weeks til they tell you. i'll get my results in the middle of my finals. if i were i'd go, especially if there's someone at home who would know when the letter came
me99dhj
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Biggles1211)
A Commission is a physical piece of paper given to you whilst at Cranwell. It is the Queen's authority for the nominated individual to issue legal orders on her behalf. They look good framed on your toilet wall!!!

In respect of the interview, you could interpret that question as "What does being an Officer mean to you?" They are checking to make sure that you understand the difference between Commissioned and Non-Commissioned ranks. Words such as 'responsibility', 'leadership' and 'duty' should feature prominantly in your answer!!!
Hey there fellow aviators/wannabe aviators,

Stumbled upon this forum when trying to look for answers to the "What is a commissioned officer?" question. Found exactly what I was looking for. Its heartening to know there are like minded people with the same queries and questions as myself.
I am in my final year of uni, not having done any previous RAF/ATC stuff and realised a couple of years ago driving a desk was not what I wanted to do. Been through the filter interview and due up at Cranwell for OASC on the 1st March. Applying for Pilot, WSO and Engineer (AS) in that order, but on the very upper age limit for pilot so we'll have to wait and see. Anyone else going up then?

There is so much info flying in from every direction it's difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff! But it's all good!

Will definately keep an eye on this forum. Any questions and this will be my first port of call. Good luck everyone!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by me99dhj)
...but on the very upper age limit for pilot so we'll have to wait and see.
That's probably the most flexible bit of all; it's not as hard a limit as you might think. Good luck!
nikolai
Report 15 years ago
Hi,

Just noticed this forum, I am 17, in 6th year at school, and have been accepted for a pilot scholarship. I am due to enter IOT some time later this year, and i was wondering if anyone has any advice on IOT?? Anything would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

Nick
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Wzz, was just worrying a bit that on my app i've only put down Supply...basically because I thought if I can't get in for that then I must be rubbish! But now i'm thinking I should really have out admin or something like that down, because what I really want is to be an Officer. Can I change that or OASC or does that make me look silly?
superted
Report 15 years ago
It's good to see so much info flying around on here. Is anyone attending OASC on March 21st?

Maybe someone could tell me some more about the leadership/hanger ex's... What sort of tasks they had to do, how much time you get, what skills they're looking for?

Also, I've heard that when doing the Group Planning ex's, you get a small crib sheet for S/T/D - is this true or has someone been pulling my leg?

Icklecathy - congrats on passing and good luck at OASC. As you've been and done it, can you tell me what the min. (for females) was for the beep test please?

Looking forward to your answers.
Superted
RifRaf
Report 15 years ago
Hi,

I attended my filter interview on the 6th of Jan and still haven't heard anything from Cranwell. I think I will see if anything arrives before Friday and then give them a ring if I still haven't received anything.

Has anyone else heard anything?

Ed
Katie Pierce
Report 15 years ago
I had my filter interview on 7th, received reply last week. My AFCO said that if I hadn't had anything by last Friday to pop in and see them and they'd chase it up...
icklecathy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by RifRaf)
Hi,

I attended my filter interview on the 6th of Jan and still haven't heard anything from Cranwell. I think I will see if anything arrives before Friday and then give them a ring if I still haven't received anything.

Has anyone else heard anything?

Ed
Have you received the postcard from Cranwell which says they have your application? If you have there is a number on there ypu can ring to ask what's happening - if not, Cranwell still don't have the report on your AFCO interview.
RifRaf
Report 15 years ago
Yes, i have received my card. I think I received that about a week after I went to the filter interview.

I will give them a ring in the next couple of days.

Ed
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nikolai)
Just noticed this forum, I am 17, in 6th year at school, and have been accepted for a pilot scholarship. I am due to enter IOT some time later this year, and i was wondering if anyone has any advice on IOT?? Anything would be greatly appreciated .
Well, it's 24 weeks long (soon to be 32 I keep getting told), so there's a lot to cover. Drop me an email at [email protected] if you have any specific questions, and I'll get a reply off to you and try to tell you a little bit about the various phases etc.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icklecathy)
Wzz, was just worrying a bit that on my app i've only put down Supply...basically because I thought if I can't get in for that then I must be rubbish! But now i'm thinking I should really have out admin or something like that down, because what I really want is to be an Officer. Can I change that or OASC or does that make me look silly?
You can change it, but I don't think it'll be possible after you've been to OASC. I've forgotten what stage you're at; you haven't been yet, have you? At the beginning of the interview, if I remember right, they'll go over your form, and ask if you want to change your branch choices. A nice bright "yes sir, I've since had a look at admin (trg) and admin (sec) (or whatever) and I'd like to add them too, although supply's still my first choice" or whatever will do nicely.

If your main goal is to be an officer in the RAF regardless of branch, OASC will be very happy with that. Your part is therefore to learn as much as you can about as many branches as you can so that you can accept anything they might offer you. You'll need to learn as much as you can about what it means to be an officer more so than what it means to be a supplier. Drop me another email or add me to MSN or something if you'd like some more help.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by superted)
Maybe someone could tell me some more about the leadership/hanger ex's... What sort of tasks they had to do, how much time you get, what skills they're looking for?
Drop me an email at [email protected]. I'll happily discuss the hanger exercises. I might try and put together some OASC FAQs for people on this board if there'd be an interest.

Also, I've heard that when doing the Group Planning ex's, you get a small crib sheet for S/T/D - is this true or has someone been pulling my leg?
If I remember right, there's a little example sheet but not really a crib sheet. It just demonstrates a couple of simple calculations. I haven't sat in on a selection board for 18 months though.

Icklecathy - congrats on passing and good luck at OASC. As you've been and done it, can you tell me what the min. (for females) was for the beep test please?
I've forgotten this; I think it's 6.7 for a 17-24 year old girly, but I could be wrong.

Drop me a line with any more questions.
the_sikko
Report 15 years ago
Does anyone know anything about the obligatory 2 week leadership/adventurous training in the summer for successful 6th form candidates? I was just wondering whether you're given set dates to go, or given a choice? Thanks
nikolai
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by the_sikko)
Does anyone know anything about the obligatory 2 week leadership/adventurous training in the summer for successful 6th form candidates? I was just wondering whether you're given set dates to go, or given a choice? Thanks
I'm due to go to the 2 week course in grantown-on-spey sometime this year too, all i know about it is that it is in july/august, and i can't find dates for it anywhere else.
vikki
Report 15 years ago
superted,
i don't know what the min. is but it's 8.2 or above for excellent - which gets you an extra hal board grade (or something) when it comes to your review thing. i know you need to get below average to 'pass'. afco have a sheet with the table on
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (95)
18.66%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (324)
63.65%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.72%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise