BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Does anyone remember their first post on here? I went looking for mine and I came up with this at the beginning of May. Strange how I can't find one where I introduce myself....Oh well it was a trip down memory lane! Especially looking at the people who were starting training back then or going to oasc.

(Original post by sublime_envy)
In regards to outdoor activities (Wing Commander) I quite enjoy horseriding, running, climbing, and swimming. There are so many sports out there each with different benefits for muscular and fitness development. (I assume that is what you are wanting) Basketball, football and the like are often underrated and are a good way of developing fitness. Though you didn't say your current level of fitness it is hard to say, but I would recommend hill walking, climbing, and running as good outdoor persuits. But definatly don't overlook the benefits of swimming. Going to do steady laps for an hour a day will work wonders!

In response to quesoyyo, if you are planning on joining an armed force, any armed force then you have to be prepared for the fact that you may die. Not only that but you may kill other people. Some of them innocents, and if you are a pilot in a war it could be killing children. It could be anything. Close range, air to ground. Who knows? You never will know until you are there that is why you have to be prepared and make damn well sure that it is what you want to do. I would say that if you have a problem right now then it maybe isn't the right career choice for you. Maybe you need some more time to think about it. I don't know spanish regulations on commercial pilots but here in Britian it is possible to become a pilot if you wear glasses. It is best to go to an optician and get specially tested yourself for a small fee and then check your eye results against regulations for pilots.

Verbal, does it matter what other people 'recommend' you do? If you really want it, then go for it! If you're not sure then take some time out to think about things and I'm sure you will come to the right decision! I myself don't agree much with government policies on oversees territories and Iraq, but I'm not going to let that stop me. If its what you want to do, don't let anyone stop you. Good luck!
melly742
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
I can't remember hun, its been way too long since I fillled my forms in. Did you drop off your applications?
No, I am going to do it tomorrow. I was told I wouldn't have a URN number but I have one on this letter. Maybe I'll just ask them when I get there!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hmmm so I have to go into IOT as a pilot and the switch to special forces? Or do my bit as a pilot? I've never heard of a pilot doing that before.
:rolleyes: Don't know why you'd want to. You'll find out a bit at IOT.

However, do remember it costs a fair packet to train you, so we'll be looking for our return of service before you can gallivant off and do another military job....
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
duh
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Now you're speaking like a special forces member
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I learn from the best of course
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I wouldn't know :rolleyes: Happy with flying, thankyouverymuch...
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
temper temper
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
anyone have an inkling as to what the weather may be like come Wednesday morning?
Can always check on uk.weather.com
If you can trust it that is
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Can always check on uk.weather.com
If you can trust it that is
thanks. reconsidering when Im flying...grrrrr :rolleyes:
Rab
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
When does he start his OCU? I'll know him.
I dont no he joined in 1998 though.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
theres always pilot

As much as I've enjoyed my (very limited) experience in the Grob and the Vigilant, I think I'll stick with medicine.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by melly742)
I rturned an interest form and they have sent me a letter back with a URN numver on it. Do I enter this as the URN on my application form?
Cheers

Yes, you do.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Never known anyone have so many career changes in such a short space of time. I can't keep up!!
I can explain myself.....honest....

nah all I want is the raf. Generally I would do anything to get it. Its the only career for me. Notice none of my choices have been anything on 'civvy street'
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Thought you were considering a couple of careers in the army at one point.
that was only if the RAF didn't want me
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Wow, we're getting a little chatty on this thread, aren't we?

Maybe we should drag this one back on topic, and start a new one for RAF-related chat. Does anyone think the point of this thread, and its usefulness, is affected by 2-3 pages of chat since the last set of questions, or are people happy with it that way?

After about 800-odd posts on it, I'm quite attached to this thread, you see
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)

Maybe we should drag this one back on topic, and start a new one for RAF-related chat. Does anyone think the point of this thread, and its usefulness, is affected by 2-3 pages of chat since the last set of questions, or are people happy with it that way?

I agree - if nothing else, creating a new "non-chat" thread will no doubt be useful for those just joining us and being faced with over 130 pages of messages! Out of interest thought, is it possible to remove the "chatty" posts (i.e. delete them) and leave the pertinent information behind? That way someone can start a chat thread and leave this one with all the info on it (keeps Wzz happy as he's so attached to the thread! )
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Happy New Year. Have you joined the air force yet?

And I wouldn't bother, most of it's crap banter

Not as yet. I'm not expecting to hear anything 'til the middle of Feb at the earliest. Even then, i'm expecting a review board just to keep me waiting that much longer.

Funny what a few weeks off can do to shake your confidence though. I find myself even now thinking "I should have done this, said that" etc...

Time will tell. In the mean time I'd better just concentrate on what I'm doing in the green.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Arch-Angel)
I agree - if nothing else, creating a new "non-chat" thread will no doubt be useful for those just joining us and being faced with over 130 pages of messages! Out of interest thought, is it possible to remove the "chatty" posts (i.e. delete them) and leave the pertinent information behind? That way someone can start a chat thread and leave this one with all the info on it (keeps Wzz happy as he's so attached to the thread! )
we can go back as individuals and delete our own posts, though that is a bit of a mammoth task. Anyway if we keep going it will be interesting to see if a candidate actually reads all the information! I don't mind though, seeing as this thread is a sticky now maybe we could chat in a different thread. Up to you guys.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)

Yeah, you're right. This last week particularly has resembled something from the GC rooms, which has been to the detriment of this thread. I've deleted some of the general chat I've posted this last few days, so hope this helps tidy it up a bit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (268)
34.23%
No (515)
65.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise