Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Hurrah for clarity

ReputationRep:
    well, back on topic then! Im sorting out my Maths course this evening, The one thats needed for me to even put an application in.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have recently received my debrief from OASC (incidentally, I was on the same boarding as REME-Bod) and I got the all too familiar "further consideration" line.

I was wondering however, if anyone could shed any light on the Final Board Gradings. The scores for the interview and various other competencies are self-explanatory, but the Final Board Grade offers no frame of reference. What is good/average/bad?

I was given from my AFCO some Board President's Remarks about a nameless previous candidate from OASC. He achieved a [3-][B-]. I suspect that this candidate did not get into IOT, but I could be wrong. So, any thoughts on the grading scale and their significance?

I won't post what I got (just yet, at least) to save you sugar coating any bad news
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    welcome to the thread ThomA2!

I can't answer your question directly but the score you put up greatly reflects the scores we were given in UAS, in which case the highest mark was 4+. I achieved a score of 4 and consider this satisfactory. Its odd that afco chose to release another candidates information, did you ask if he attended IOT?

ReputationRep:
    It was such a long time ago I can't remember if he made it to IOT or not. I suspect not, as he was only "Weakly Recommended" for IOT and his only branch choice was Pilot.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this thread as driven away form what it initially started as. Does anyone know what time in the year we can have a go at getting a sponsorship from the raf and what exactly we have to do there. However, i am not quite sure what i would to go in as.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eurofighter)
    Yeah, this thread as driven away form what it initially started as. Does anyone know what time in the year we can have a go at getting a sponsorship from the raf and what exactly we have to do there. However, i am not quite sure what i would to go in as.
    Thanks

There are different levels of awards ranging from 6FS to bursaries and cadetships. These depend on where you're at in terms of your studies and what branch/job you're interested in. Can you be a bit more specific?

ReputationRep:
    Well i will be doing my GCSE'S this year, then my a' levels afterwards. There is a few jobs i wouldn't mind doing in the raf - navigator, fighter controller and pilot. I am going to try for the sixth form scholarship.
    Cheers
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Thanks
    I don't recall you posting in this thread before? And we are only human, thus we feel the need to communicate
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Well i will be doing my GCSE'S this year, then my a' levels afterwards. There is a few jobs i wouldn't mind doing in the raf - navigator, fighter controller and pilot. I am going to try for the sixth form scholarship.
    Cheers
    I'm scottish so I am a tad lapse on the English schooling system. How old are you just now and when are you entering your sixth form? I know that AFCOs are filtering possible scholarships at the moment so it may be too late for you this year.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently 15, coming up 16, i would be stating my AS levels in September.
    Thanks for the help
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Thanks for the help
    I *think* you have missed the date for September this year. I remember people applying in November. Have you phoned your local AFCO yet? They will be able to give you tailored information to your needs.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help
    You have to be between 16 and 17yrs 11 months to apply, and your application has to be in by the 30th Nov of your lower 6th year, so the sooner you start the ball rolling the better (Even before you get your GCSE results)!! I applied before I’d got mine and just entered my mock results on the application form.

Go along to your local AFCO and complete the initial application, where you’ll be given loads of info on the RAF, the branches you’ve chosen and the process itself. After you get your GCSE results you’ll be invited along to a (very long!!) presentation on the RAF, which I'd advise you to try and arrange now for after your results are out. From this, a date should be arranged for you to attend a filter interview at your local AFCO, and If successful you’ll be invited to attend OASC at Cranwell between Jan – April of the following year (All boarding for 6FS takes place during this time).

The scholarship package itself is worth between 1-2k in your upper 6th year depending on the branch you want to join. In return you have to join the ATC (if you’re not already a member) and you’re expected to apply for a university bursary.

Have a look on here for the specifics of the branches you're interested in: www.rafcareers.co.uk
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    You have to be between 16 and 17yrs 11 months to apply, and your application has to be in by the 30th Nov of your lower 6th year, so the sooner you start the ball rolling the better (Even before you get your GCSE results)!! I applied before I’d got mine and just entered my mock results on the application form.

Go along to your local AFCO and complete the initial application, where you’ll be given loads of info on the RAF, the branches you’ve chosen and the process itself. After you get your GCSE results you’ll be invited along to a (very long!!) presentation on the RAF, which I'd advise you to try and arrange now for after your results are out. From this, a date should be arranged for you to attend a filter interview at your local AFCO, and If successful you’ll be invited to attend OASC at Cranwell between Jan – April of the following year (All boarding for 6FS takes place during this time).

The scholarship package itself is worth between 1-2k in your upper 6th year depending on the branch you want to join. In return you have to join the ATC (if you’re not already a member) and you’re expected to apply for a university bursary.

Have a look on here for the specifics of the branches you're interested in: www.rafcareers.co.uk
    beeyatch :aetsch:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    hmmm so I have to go into IOT as a pilot and the switch to special forces? Or do my bit as a pilot? I've never heard of a pilot doing that before.
    You are a nutcase for even considering this!!!
    But yes, you would have to join your respective military organisation, in your respective branch, and after a certain time (eg a tour) you can then apply for SF. I do know somebody who is an ex GR1 pilot, that started his SF training and got most of the way before an injury took him out. He's an absolute nutter, too! And now thankfully back flying the GR4. So it's not completely unheard of for aircrew, just that most aircrew aren't quite that mental!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    beeyatch :aetsch:
    I'll take that as a compliment, shall I? :hmpf:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by ThomA2)
    I was wondering however, if anyone could shed any light on the Final Board Gradings. The scores for the interview and various other competencies are self-explanatory, but the Final Board Grade offers no frame of reference. What is good/average/bad?
    The important bit's the number. 3 is acceptable for a commission, 7 is virtually perfect. 1 is terrible, 0 is incompatible with service.

I hasten to add that 3 means acceptable; it doesn't mean a pass!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Thanks
    Any time you like. You can always apply, although sponsorship won't "activate" until the next academic year. Either join your UAS, speak to your UAS, or if not at uni speak to your AFCO.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by dirts)
    just that most aircrew aren't quite that mental!
    Thank God
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    *snip*
    I've trained you well

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.