RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Eurofighter)
Yeah i have but it doesn't seem to be very useful, doesn't contain all the details i need to know. I will have to go down to afco one day.

Contains everything you've asked about so far
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
I will have to search better than.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What information does AFCO actually give you as i dont know whether to visit them now or after my GCSE's.

If you don't start the process unitl after your GCSE's you may be pushing it to meet the Nov deadline.
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
Cheers, i will phone them up soon, what further information do they give you.
maverick_87
Report 14 years ago
I didnt go a meeting at my local AFCO for the first time until after id sat my GCSE's, i was wating for my results at the time. Bare minimum for pilot and any other officer is 5 A-C GCSE's (including maths and English) and Any 2 A levels at A-E.
maverick_87
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Some fairly comprehensive and detailed explanations were given about asthma/inhalers/wheezing etc not too long ago, so I don't think there's a great deal else to tell. The bottom line appears to be that anything to do with these will preclude you from flying. You might find it helpful to search back through the thread.

Why don't you have a chat with your doc and the MO (or appropriate medical staff) from Cranwell before applying, that way you'll know if it's worth applying for
Is it possible to get in contact with the Cranwell medical staff before you apply? If it is that sounds like its worth doing. Thanks, Jamie.
maverick_87
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
They do test you before you join; that's the whole point of OASC! If you can't be bothered to try and get through an interview in order to actually get to the medical side of things, then what's the point?

Get on with it. If you want to join, start working for it, and APPLY! If you fail the medical, too bad; but you'll have done some good stuff getting ready for it.
I mean before you apply, so you can focus on something else if your not eligible! I am going to work for it, only got 1 more exam after tommorow then i can join cadets.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)
Is it possible to get in contact with the Cranwell medical staff before you apply? If it is that sounds like its worth doing. Thanks, Jamie.

I dunno, but if I were in your shoes I know that's what I'd be doing.
D.Hayes
Report 14 years ago
Thanks Wzz for the only sensible reply ! ......

Sublime_envy + Nikki.J.S thanks for the replies but your suggestions have already been tried and as stated all are out of stock ..... The issue was'nt with simply finding them on the internet (I agree it only takes two mins for any idiot) It was finding them in stock !!

But thanks anyway ................
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by D.Hayes)

Sublime_envy + Nikki.J.S thanks for the replies but your suggestions have already been tried and as stated all are out of stock ..... The issue was'nt with simply finding them on the internet (I agree it only takes two mins for any idiot) It was finding them in stock !!

Ooops, sorry. I thought you meant you couldn't find them on the internet!

Unfortunately, a lot of people do ask for easily found information without having done a proper search for themselves first. Obviously misunderstood your question.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by D.Hayes)

Have you come across Tim Garden's website? It doesn't have the books you've mentioned, but it does cover the topics you're after fairly comprehensively;downloadable and up-to-date too.

http://www.tgarden.demon.co.uk/writings/allworks.html
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)
I didnt go a meeting at my local AFCO for the first time until after id sat my GCSE's, i was wating for my results at the time.

Yes, but you weren't applying for a 6FS. If you leave it until the end of August you then have to complete the initial interest form, arrange a presentation (which only takes place monthly), then complete the application for 6FS and then arrange a filter interview. It would be possible to do after your exam results have come out, but you'd be sailing close to the wire to do it wilthin the timescales. Why put additional pressure on yourself?

If you're happy doing it like this, fine, just that I like to plan and organise things in advance where possible.
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
What do you gain from visiting afco and could anyone advise me on whats the best job to apply for on a sixth form sponsorship.
Thanks
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Eh?

The AFCO will tell you how to join the RAF and assess whether you're worth sending down to Cranwell on a full application.

The best job to apply for is the one you want to do!
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
Cheers, how many jobs can you put down on your application form.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
One job; that of an RAF officer!

You can specify a number of branches; I think 6; you'd be interested in.

Should you really be applying for a job you don't know much about? How much research have you done?
nik01
Report 14 years ago
What do you gain from visiting afco and could anyone advise me on whats the best job to apply for on a sixth form sponsorship.
If I were you, I'd try to find out alot more about the RAF before I even considered submitting that application form! As Wzz states the best job is the one you want and if you are having to ask others their opinion on which one is the best, then you don't know nearly enough to submit an application yet.
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
I have done research into the different type of jobs but the job isn't what you expect it to be when you are actually doing it (if that makes any sense).
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't mean to be harsh, but judging by what you've asked on here, you appear to have done very little research.

How do you know the job isn't what you expect when you're actually doing it? What experience have you got of these jobs to make that judgement?

You really should visit your local AFCO to discuss the opportunities available and the detail of what they entail. I'd also advise a more thorough search of the RAF careers website.
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
Do you know any good raf websites except for

rafcareers and
raftarget
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (117)
46.06%
Pro-humanity (137)
53.94%

Watched Threads