Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    I could certainly help you out on what to do in going down to OASC at RAFC Cranwell - the 4 day selection process, having done it myself and come out of it successful. Although I'm not going to be a pilot, I'm going to keep the aircraft in the sky instead and become an Engineer officer, the same selection process takes place for everyone who goes to cranwell. Post a reply if you want me to tell you more.

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in details of the 4 day selection process at RAF Cranwell. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Well, what would you like to know about it? It's in two parts, and you have to pass part 1 to move onto part 2. Part 1 is a suite of aptitude tests, a medical, and a 2-part interview. There's a review if you failed any bit, even a tiny bit of the aptitudes. Part 2 is done in syndicates of around 5 or 6, and involves a group discussion, group and individual planning exercises, a leaderless hangar task, hangar command tasks, an English diagnostic test, and probably a couple of things I've forgotten because it's a late night after night flying and I need to go to sleep.

Drop me an email if you'd like to know anything more in depth. Ask away.

[email protected]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered096)
    Practically impossible, loads of people apply to be officer pilots and all have usually served in the army, navy or RAF for at least 10 years already. They select people who they think have the qualities to become a pilot who are already in the armed forces, not just anybody with a degree in physics etc. The skills required are to join the armed forces, preferably the RAF but not necessarily, I knew someone that applied and was selected to train as a pilot from an army regiment and he was only a staff sergeant. You won't become a pilot simply with a degree though, you need to be military personnel first and 'work your way up'.

Excuse me what the are you on about that is a load of crap you definately don't need to be in th RAF for ten years before you even start where did that come from as long as they think you have the right qualities to be a pilot then they will let you but the compotition is strict i personally know a few pilots that went straight from uni to training with out a day in the forces so i don't have a clue where u got that form i am sorry but your are slightly off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Still)
    Excuse me what the are you on about that is a load of crap you definately don't need to be in th RAF for ten years before you even start where did that come from as long as they think you have the right qualities to be a pilot then they will let you but the compotition is strict i personally know a few pilots that went straight from uni to training with out a day in the forces so i don't have a clue where u got that form i am sorry but your are slightly off
    You need a deep breath to say that all at once!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklecathy)
    You need a deep breath to say that all at once!
    hell yeh!

ReputationRep:
    what are the requiremeents on eyesight for groundtrades such as electronic technician or weopens technician cos i have reall bad eyesight. any information would be a bonus
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    my eyesight is LEFT EYE: -7.75
    RIGHT EYE: -7.25

as i am only applying for a ground trade would the medical examiner be leniant????

ReputationRep:
    The info people posted was helpful but i have a major worry what is the max height for a fighter pilot in the RAF it is based on the average person and thats about 5'10 and i am a little taller than that and my dad is in the RAF as an engineer and he has bee in a fast jet and he is 6'4 and i am 6'0.5 so i was wandering what the max height limit was please and thank you for reding this

Alex Still

ReputationRep:
    i need a sure answer on this one so if you know for sure can you please tell be if people who have had their eyes corrected by laser treatment can join the RAF as pilots? cheers

ReputationRep:
    you need to talk to the afco to check for definite but as far as i was aware, the raf won't accept anyone whos had laser eye surgery, something to do with the unknown longterm effects and apparently it adversely affects your night vision.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by spikey)
    i need a sure answer on this one so if you know for sure can you please tell be if people who have had their eyes corrected by laser treatment can join the RAF as pilots? cheers
    Currently, no. There's no shortage of pilot applicants so they're as picky as they justifiably can be. There aren't any people around who've had laser surgery 20 years ago yet, so there's not enough knowledge of the long term effects, especially in a hazardous environment like aviation. It also does affect your night vision, yes.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The info people posted was helpful but i have a major worry what is the max height for a fighter pilot in the RAF it is based on the average person and thats about 5'10 and i am a little taller than that and my dad is in the RAF as an engineer and he has bee in a fast jet and he is 6'4 and i am 6'0.5 so i was wandering what the max height limit was please and thank you for reding this

Alex Still
    There's not so much of a height limit. There are individual limits on parts of your body; your arms must be long enough, your sitting height within certain limits, and your upper legs and full legs must be within certain ranges to fit in a cockpit. It's also for safety reasons during ejections.

ReputationRep:
    This is a question for anyone out there in the ether.
    Wzz, don't know if you can help?
    Found out what a commission was the other day on this forum, but what is the difference between an officer and a senior NCO?
    Any info would be helpful as I am going to Cranwell for OASC on Sunday!
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me99dhj)
    This is a question for anyone out there in the ether.
    Wzz, don't know if you can help?
    Found out what a commission was the other day on this forum, but what is the difference between an officer and a senior NCO?
    Any info would be helpful as I am going to Cranwell for OASC on Sunday!
    Cheers
    If you found out what a commission was, surely you would know that an officer has one and a SNCO doesn't.

Good luck at Cranwell

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Does anyone happen to know how many apply for Engineer Officer each year and how many are accepted?

gp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Hi, My name is Tom, I am 15 and have always wanted to be a fighter pilot from the age of 3. The RAF careers website does not have its requirements for eyesight any more, last time I checked my eyesight was not up to scratch. Are they considering letting entrants in with laser eye surgery? Does the Army Air corps allow it? I know i have a tiny bit talent and would like to be able to at least try for pilot training, because on a simulator called Falcon 4.0 (not a game!) I managed to shoot down a Italien Tornado pilot in a heated dogfight, he made a basic error and over shot me, I shot him down in a classic example of a 3/9 Line over shoot manuver. This was a very basic error by the pilot and he will probably never repeat it again.

I am sorry tom i dont think they do and laser eye surgery is a total no i think but i am not 100% sure
    Alex Still

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry tom i dont think they do and laser eye surgery is a total no i think but i am not 100% sure
    Alex Still
    I dont think they can discriminate on eyesight as long as you have proper prescription in while flying

ReputationRep:
    hi. ok now im kinda worried, ah this crappy computer doesnt work very well so if the odd letter is missing im sorry. im worried because at 19 im applying for college to get my A-levels, im hoping to do the btec nd in public services, however at that ag i wont have a chance of going to uni then joining. im still going to try as hard as possible but im slightly concerned. does anyone know of anywayto help improve the intelligence aspect, that as phrased dumb i know. the fitness wont be a problem as i have 2 years, also i wanted to kow the requirements for a sponcership. im living away from home and will have to support myself. im doing this course for the sole reason of becoming a pilot. email me if anyone has anything to haelp ease my now troubled mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark1010)
    If you found out what a commission was, surely you would know that an officer has one and a SNCO doesn't.
    Yeah knew one had a commission and the other didn't! But wondered if there were more subtle differences between the two (E.g. is SNCO the highest rank you can get to without being commissioned?).

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.