Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Fifth)
    Hello,

I'm a second year UAS stude, under a bursary, just getting towards the end of the syllabus. I'm having a great time, and had this forum recommended to me to come and get/share some info!

So if anyone's currently on a UAS drop me a line.

For the more experienced people, I had a couple of questions myself! First, can you be on a UAS if you've gone back to uni to do your second degree? Secondly, how much should bursaries pay; I've always thought it was fixed by branch, but I've been told that they're on a sliding scale depending on how you do?
    maybe I didn't explain this enough. I don't really spend enough time on that other forum. I wasn't sponsered for my first degree so therefore I can be on a UAS now. I'm not even sponsered at the minute. I will apply when I finish this current degree. Until then I am on a UAS. During my last degree I could have been on a UAS and still be on my current one now, as Im not sponsered so therefore I have no commitment as of yet. As for bursaries they vary with trade although most are a set amount. Engineering bursaries can go up to a high of £9,000 though the norm is around £4,000 with £9k being very very rare.

sounds like you're checking up on me rather than asking your own questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    maybe I didn't explain this enough. I don't really spend enough time on that other forum. I wasn't sponsered for my first degree so therefore I can be on a UAS now. I'm not even sponsered at the minute. I will apply when I finish this current degree. Until then I am on a UAS. During my last degree I could have been on a UAS and still be on my current one now, as Im not sponsered so therefore I have no commitment as of yet. As for bursaries they vary with trade although most are a set amount. Engineering bursaries can go up to a high of £9,000 though the norm is around £4,000 with £9k being very very rare.

Far from it; if I was suspicious enough to check up on you I wouldn't have done it on the forum you invited me to come and join

I was just very surprised; wanted to make sure that I wasn't being ripped off with my small bursary! We turned away people at our Freshers fairs this year because it was their second degree, and everyone on my UAS with a bursary has the same amount by branch. When did they change it??

What made you turn down sponsorship?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Fifth)
    I'm a second year UAS stude, under a bursary, just getting towards the end of the syllabus. I'm having a great time, and had this forum recommended to me to come and get/share some info!
    Welcome I'm sure you're enjoying the latter parts of the syllabus. Been a long time since I did it, but finally getting into LL and formation was nice. Makes you feel a bit more like a military pilot!

Let us know how you're getting on.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I wasn't sponsered for my first degree so therefore I can be on a UAS now. I'm not even sponsered at the minute. I will apply when I finish this current degree. Until then I am on a UAS. During my last degree I could have been on a UAS and still be on my current one now, as Im not sponsered so therefore I have no commitment as of yet.
    You've confused me a little as well; I didn't realise you had done another degree prior to this one?? An entry requirement to a UAS is definately that you're an undergrad on your first degree with the appropriate educational qualifications. I've turned away people from freshers' fayres myself as duty grown-up or as a senior student because they've been on masters or have gone back to uni. Generally they were busting the age limits too; with a max age of 23.5 I don't see how you can fit in two degrees anyway?

Sponsorship's got squat to do with it; entry to the RAFVR as a UAS Off Cdt requires you to be on your first degree, unless they've changed the rules over the last academic year. Did you finish your first degree; and if so, what did you say about it to your current UAS? A couple of mates of mine are holding on UASs so I'll give them a bell and get some current gen dug up.

As for bursaries they vary with trade although most are a set amount. Engineering bursaries can go up to a high of £9,000 though the norm is around £4,000 with £9k being very very rare.
    Certainly not the case when I worked there! They were fixed by branch. Originally they were a blanket £2100pa, but then aircrew ones dropped to £1050pa and engineering ones rose to £4000pa to reflect supply and demand. Who told you they slid? The closest thing to £9kpa you could get was as a first year university cadet, but that scheme doesn't exist anymore. Doctors and dentists have their own separate pay scales, so the old APO(UC) grade is defunct.

It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you, I suppose
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wzz)
    You've confused me a little as well; I didn't realise you had done another degree prior to this one?? An entry requirement to a UAS is definately that you're an undergrad on your first degree with the appropriate educational qualifications. I've turned away people from freshers' fayres myself as duty grown-up or as a senior student because they've been on masters or have gone back to uni. Generally they were busting the age limits too; with a max age of 23.5 I don't see how you can fit in two degrees anyway?

Sponsorship's got squat to do with it; entry to the RAFVR as a UAS Off Cdt requires you to be on your first degree, unless they've changed the rules over the last academic year. Did you finish your first degree; and if so, what did you say about it to your current UAS? A couple of mates of mine are holding on UASs so I'll give them a bell and get some current gen dug up.

Certainly not the case when I worked there! They were fixed by branch. Originally they were a blanket £2100pa, but then aircrew ones dropped to £1050pa and engineering ones rose to £4000pa to reflect supply and demand. Who told you they slid? The closest thing to £9kpa you could get was as a first year university cadet, but that scheme doesn't exist anymore. Doctors and dentists have their own separate pay scales, so the old APO(UC) grade is defunct.

It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you, I suppose
    thought I mentioned this before but I did one year of a different degree. Biomed and so now that Im changing from engineering, they want me to go back into biomed. UAS know all about it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    thought I mentioned this before but I did one year of a different degree. Biomed and so now that Im changing from engineering, they want me to go back into biomed. UAS know all about it.
    I was under the impression that you had started uni this year, and switched degrees not long after starting. As long as it's your first degree, that's not an issue.

Sponsorship wise, who told you that? Have you been to OASC other than for initial UAS selection?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wzz)
    I was under the impression that you had started uni this year, and switched degrees not long after starting. As long as it's your first degree, that's not an issue.

Sponsorship wise, who told you that? Have you been to OASC other than for initial UAS selection?
    AFCO told me that :confused: nevermind I probably misunderstood

ReputationRep:

I thought you did Chemistry and are now doing Biology?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    I thought you did Chemistry and are now doing Biology?
    Biomed. When I said I did chem at uni when you mentioned a chem exam a bit back I meant chem credits. I had to do two courses in chem in my first year, chemistry and real world applications and chemistry level 1. I haven't decided what to do this year yet but it has to be in the biology faculty. Biomed kinda stands out at the minute though I don't like the idea of going back to it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    AFCO told me that :confused: nevermind I probably misunderstood
    Which AFCO? I used to be part of the team that stopped AFCOs making mistakes like this!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Which AFCO? I used to be part of the team that stopped AFCOs making mistakes like this!
    Aberdeen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Common sense rules with branch choices. Would you accept a job if offerred to you? If so, put it down. If you only want to be a pilot, just put that down. If you're medically unfit, then you can add extra branches during your end-of-part-one review.

There's no "system" to make sure that they offer you what you want, and there's no underhand moves to offer you your second choice because it's undersubscribes when you really want your first.

Put down anything you'd be happy accepting. They'll tell you why you're offered what you are.
    True - but if you only put down one branch choice (particularly if it's an aptitude branch - ATC, Pilot, etc.) then you run the risk of failing the aptitude tests. Whilst you can add extra branches (as Wzz has highlighted above), it may be worth at least considering other branches - even if you don't enter them on the application forms. That way, you can at least highlight your single branch choice more favourably as you will be able to show that you considered other branch options as well - adding weight to your application.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    .... and it always looks good to be able to say that you want to be an officer first. However, if you fail aptitude tests on your first shot (talking to pilots) I'd advise getting off to a UAS and joining. You stand a higher chance of getting through after a couple more years, rather than banging out all your attempts in a couple of years and winding up as a fighter controller.

ReputationRep:
    Biomed. When I said I did chem at uni when you mentioned a chem exam a bit back I meant chem credits. I had to do two courses in chem in my first year, chemistry and real world applications and chemistry level 1. I haven't decided what to do this year yet but it has to be in the biology faculty. Biomed kinda stands out at the minute though I don't like the idea of going back to it.

Ah, right. You'd probably be best going back to do Biomedical Science if you've already done a year. I should imagine you'll get exemptions from some parts of the course if you've got credits from your first year (means you'd be eligible to join the RAF earlier, and would be well within the age boundaries to apply for pilot too!!).

Why put yourself through three years of Biology if you hate it (how can anyone hate Biology???), if you've already got a year of something else that's closely related under your belt? There're lots of advantages to you finishing the Biomedical Science degree.

If you've not started anything else yet, does that mean you're still on the foundation engineering course? You'd have to be enrolled as an undergrad on something to be in a UAS wouldn't you? :confused:

How come you're doing the foundation year of the engineeering degree? I'd have thought you'd have pretty decent 'A' levels in Maths, Physics, Chem, Biology to get onto a Biomed course? Surely these would've been good enough for undergrad engineering?

I'm not being funny, honestly, just genuinely interested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    .... and it always looks good to be able to say that you want to be an officer first. However, if you fail aptitude tests on your first shot (talking to pilots) I'd advise getting off to a UAS and joining. You stand a higher chance of getting through after a couple more years, rather than banging out all your attempts in a couple of years and winding up as a fighter controller.

I can understand what they're looking for in aptitude tests for pilots, and certain other posts, but less so for other branches. If you take out the pilot battery of aptitude tests, what else are they testing for? Is it IQ based? How would they test whether I'm potentially suitable for the branch I've chosen, aptitude wise?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    There aren't any aptitude tests for your branch; everyone sits all of the tests so that if you were found to be medically or professionally unfit for your first choice, they have evidence to show what you might be good at. It gives you the option to continue.

For example, if you sit all the aptitude tests, but turn out to be blind as a bat in the medical, they can tell you after part one that you'd make a really good air traffic controller. You don't have to sign your life away immediately, but it gives you the option to carry on to part two and get it out the way now, rather than returning to an AFCO in a few months saying that you'd now like to give ATC a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    For example, if you sit all the aptitude tests, but turn out to be blind as a bat in the medical, they can tell you after part one that you'd make a really good air traffic controller.

lol i was under the impression that you had to have fairly good eyesight to be ATC :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by steve_nels)
    lol i was under the impression that you had to have fairly good eyesight to be ATC :p:
    Thanks for the valuable contribution :rolleyes:

If you fail the medical for pilot, you can be etc etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Thanks for the valuable contribution :rolleyes:

If you fail the medical for pilot, you can be etc etc...

np

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    I found the Hawk and Harrier sims are very good, although I'm sure the medium support helicopter sim at Benson's good, and the new Typhoon one'll be top.
    They sound good. Do you think I might be able to get them from PC World?

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.