Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    There aren't any aptitude tests for your branch; everyone sits all of the tests so that if you were found to be medically or professionally unfit for your first choice, they have evidence to show what you might be good at. It gives you the option to continue.

For example, if you sit all the aptitude tests, but turn out to be blind as a bat in the medical, they can tell you after part one that you'd make a really good air traffic controller. You don't have to sign your life away immediately, but it gives you the option to carry on to part two and get it out the way now, rather than returning to an AFCO in a few months saying that you'd now like to give ATC a try.

Thanks for that. I'll stop worrying about them then.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    They sound good. Do you think I might be able to get them from PC World?
    They might have to order them in. Ask, and when they finally give you a little cardboard box, moan that your multi-million pound full-freedom 3 axis sim doesn't appear to be there. And can they home deliver?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    They might have to order them in. Ask, and when they finally give you a little cardboard box, moan that your multi-million pound full-freedom 3 axis sim doesn't appear to be there. And can they home deliver?
    That's what I thought you might say

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought you might say
    He forgot to mention the ones that appear on ebay from time to time

ReputationRep:
    Ok, back to something productive after the silly joke

Today ive sorted out the maths course, so ive got a couple of months of maths intermediate 1 to do as a refresher, then I start on intermediate 2 maths with the exam a year in May. Which at that point i'll finally be able to put my application in.

Now knowing how quickly that time will probably pass, I need to work on other area's as well. Now ive got my field training every week, taking up skiing lessons next month (with the aim to continue it afterwards) and improving on education. Im looking to add to this, as I suspect this wont be enough for afco to be happy with me.
    What ive been thinking over is volunteering for something, be it as a civil instructor for atc although unsure how that works time wise. The other is volunteering at say a charity shop, has anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    He forgot to mention the ones that appear on ebay from time to time

:eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    Ok, back to something productive after the silly joke

Today ive sorted out the maths course, so ive got a couple of months of maths intermediate 1 to do as a refresher, then I start on intermediate 2 maths with the exam a year in May. Which at that point i'll finally be able to put my application in.

Now knowing how quickly that time will probably pass, I need to work on other area's as well. Now ive got my field training every week, taking up skiing lessons next month (with the aim to continue it afterwards) and improving on education. Im looking to add to this, as I suspect this wont be enough for afco to be happy with me.
    What ive been thinking over is volunteering for something, be it as a civil instructor for atc although unsure how that works time wise. The other is volunteering at say a charity shop, has anyone

There're people on here that can probably give you far better advice than I can, but the only thing I'd say is take up some things that involve you working as part of a team. After all, that's what the RAF is all about (imo), so anything that can develop those kind of skills has to be a good thing.

The civilian instructor idea is good (I think you mentioned you were thinking about it a few months ago). Just go along and tell them you're interested (That's what most of the CI's at my ATC did). It'll involve lots of planning and organising for cadets, as well as giving something to the community and demonstrating an interest in the RAF. You'll also get loads of opportunities to be involved in all the adventurous training and camps you could want!!

I think timewise it's very much up to you how much of it you give; you are a volunteer at the end of the day.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    Time wise, you are expected give whetever you can. CIs are not restricted to a set number of hours each week, regardless of what a Squadron Commander may say. What they would ask is that you give them as much notice as possible if you cannot make it, or set out from the start what you intend to give/do timewise.

There is a national adult recruitment campaign running troughout February. The ATC are vastly understaffed so keep an eye out for the adverts. (The Army Cdts are doing something similar).

If you can't wait until Feb, have a look on the ATC website (risk of gettting a warning: www . aircadets . org . uk / news_adultrecruitment . html ) without the spaces of course!

Anything outside of this, feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    Thought some people might find this interesting (although some people'll already know it). http://www.tgarden.demon.co.uk/

Edit: You need to click on the link to 'Writings' and then to 'Eurofighter Typhoon'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Doctors and dentists have their own separate pay scales, so the old APO(UC) grade is defunct.

Just thought I'd mention, for anyone that's remotely interested, the cadetship package for sponsored medical students is currently worth 42k over years 3, 4 and 5 at uni.

I bet they must be amongst the richest students on campus!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    some strange things have appeared on ebay, including F104's, Vulcan bombers, missile silo's and nuclear bunkers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    some strange things have appeared on ebay, including F104's, Vulcan bombers, missile silo's and nuclear bunkers

Scary :afraid: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I've just read that cadets and UAS's are under threat because of defence budget cuts. :eek: Anybody knwo how true this is, and timescales for any reductions/cuts?

ReputationRep:
    There're people on here that can probably give you far better advice than I can, but the only thing I'd say is take up some things that involve you working as part of a team. After all, that's what the RAF is all about (imo), so anything that can develop those kind of skills has to be a good thing.
    I ask to hopefully get as many different view points as possible, leave no options unlooked if I can
    I guess its more is always good with the working in a team situation. At the moment im in two distinct teams at work for normal work and a separate project while my fitness training is team based as well.

The civilian instructor idea is good (I think you mentioned you were thinking about it a few months ago). Just go along and tell them you're interested (That's what most of the CI's at my ATC did). It'll involve lots of planning and organising for cadets, as well as giving something to the community and demonstrating an interest in the RAF. You'll also get loads of opportunities to be involved in all the adventurous training and camps you could want!!
    Probably is a good idea to go along, I just need to do it. Always takes me to do something when im either unsure about what's involved or is something totally new to me. You mention about planning and organising for the cadets. That catches my attention, its two of the area's my degree covered.
    The adventurous training and camps do sound interesting, although these are only done at weekends by chance? just with the way my work is my weekends become lost due to it (although weekends off can always be booked off in advance)

I think timewise it's very much up to you how much of it you give; you are a volunteer at the end of the day.
    I had just been thinking that they may have a minimum amount of time or that they would think its just not worth while for them or for me. I can spare a day or two anyway.

Good luck
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cwarranto)
    Time wise, you are expected give whetever you can. CIs are not restricted to a set number of hours each week, regardless of what a Squadron Commander may say. What they would ask is that you give them as much notice as possible if you cannot make it, or set out from the start what you intend to give/do timewise.
    That sounds fine to me, athough is there any idea if there is a set amount of days the cadets runs during the week and on set days?

There is a national adult recruitment campaign running troughout February. The ATC are vastly understaffed so keep an eye out for the adverts. (The Army Cdts are doing something similar).

If you can't wait until Feb, have a look on the ATC website (risk of gettting a warning: www . aircadets . org . uk / news_adultrecruitment . html ) without the spaces of course!

Anything outside of this, feel free to PM me.
    Thats very useful to know and I will watch out for adverts (press, tv?) and i'll also follow the spaced address as well and have a look.

Thanks for offering further information via PM if needed, i'll definetly keep that in mind

ReputationRep:
    I've just read that cadets and UAS's are under threat because of defence budget cuts. :eek: Anybody knwo how true this is, and timescales for any reductions/cuts?
    where did you see that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    where did you see that?

Tim Garden's website http://www.tgarden.demon.co.uk/

You'll need to click the link to 'Writings' and then to 'Defence Debate'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    is there any idea if there is a set amount of days the cadets runs during the week and on set days?
    Most ATC squadrons parade two evenings per week on weekdays. Mine, for example, parades on Tuesdays and Fridays. They usually start around 7p.m -9/9.30p.m

The adventurous training and camps do sound interesting, although these are only done at weekends by chance? just with the way my work is my weekends become lost due to it (although weekends off can always be booked off in advance)
    Depends really. Quite a few of the adventurous training trips run at weekends because most cadets have school commitments and wouldn't be able to take time out to attend them otherwise. A lot of RAF camps and expeditions (usually five days plus) are timed to run with school term times, again so that people don't miss out on their education.

You usually know quite well in advance what's available, so you can make the necessary arrangements. For example, I'll be away for five weeks over summer this year due to expeditions etc. (I've left two weeks spare just in case I get on the 'Preparation for Leadership' ccourse following my visit to OASC!!)

ReputationRep:
    Most ATC squadrons parade two evenings per week on weekdays. Mine, for example, parades on Tuesdays and Fridays. They usually start around 7p.m -9/9.30p.m
    In that situation i'd have friday free but tuesdays is taken up by the maths course.

Depends really. Quite a few of the adventurous training trips run at weekends because most cadets have school commitments and wouldn't be able to take time out to attend them otherwise. A lot of RAF camps and expeditions (usually five days plus) are timed to run with school term times, again so that people don't miss out on their education.

You usually know quite well in advance what's available, so you can make the necessary arrangements. For example, I'll be away for five weeks over summer this year due to expeditions etc. (I've left two weeks spare just in case I get on the 'Preparation for Leadership' ccourse following my visit to OASC!!)
    That was what I was thinking about, with school term. Come summer i'd be more flexable as well. Well with enough notice and its something I could help towards it would allow me enough time to book a weekend off of work.

Now I thought you where up on work placement in my neck of the woods this summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    In that situation i'd have friday free but tuesdays is taken up by the maths course.
    If you can only make a Friday I'm sure they'll be glad of it

That was what I was thinking about, with school term. Come summer i'd be more flexable as well. Well with enough notice and its something I could help towards it would allow me enough time to book a weekend off of work.

Now I thought you where up on work placement in my neck of the woods this summer?
    Yes, I'm at Leuchars Med Centre for two weeks 21st June to beginning of July. Then I have a week at RAF Gibraltar Med Centre immediately following this, before going on a two week expedition to Norway (Glacier walking and sea kayaking!!). If I pass OASC and go to Grantown on Spey, I wont be at home for more than a couple of days all summer!!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.