Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    I wouldn't worry too much in your position. By the time they come to replacing you I would've thought you'd be somewhere near to retirement anyway!! It's the next generation of FJ pilots that should be worried really!!
    If thats this coming generation of fighters then thats till around 2035 at a guess, if its next after that, then 2060 ? looks like there is nothing to worry about there Dirts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirts)
    Really?! That's massive! Bigger than the entire Officer Corps of the RAF!! I've not checked the most recent numbers, but probably not too far off the future projected entire size of the Air Force!!!
    Quite so.

It's ironic too, that, eventually there will be more ATC cadets wearing an RAF uniform than the regulars. (albeit with an ATC beret badge and brassard)

ReputationRep:
    sent my enqiry to the ATC today, god knows what the responce will be, but looks like i might actually be joining soon!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=103331

thought this was quite funny, people were actually debating on wether or not these were real shots ! They look well done, but i cant see it being true, not with the authorities surely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve_nels)
    http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=103331

thought this was quite funny, people were actually debating on wether or not these were real shots ! They look well done, but i cant see it being true, not with the authorities surely
    Those pictures are for real, these are from Philipsburg / St. Maarten - Princess Juliana airport in the Netherlands Antilles. Also Airliners.net will not host images that are fakes. They will show modified images but they must be declaired as such
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...pages=71&page=

there are lots of those photos. I don't see how so many could be doctored.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    Ah, right. You'd probably be best going back to do Biomedical Science if you've already done a year. I should imagine you'll get exemptions from some parts of the course if you've got credits from your first year (means you'd be eligible to join the RAF earlier, and would be well within the age boundaries to apply for pilot too!!).

Why put yourself through three years of Biology if you hate it (how can anyone hate Biology???), if you've already got a year of something else that's closely related under your belt? There're lots of advantages to you finishing the Biomedical Science degree.

If you've not started anything else yet, does that mean you're still on the foundation engineering course? You'd have to be enrolled as an undergrad on something to be in a UAS wouldn't you? :confused:

How come you're doing the foundation year of the engineeering degree? I'd have thought you'd have pretty decent 'A' levels in Maths, Physics, Chem, Biology to get onto a Biomed course? Surely these would've been good enough for undergrad engineering?

I'm not being funny, honestly, just genuinely interested
    yes I was on a foundation year of engineering. It was my deans decision and I never quite agreeed with it. I have highers from school and I did chemistry and a maths/physics course at university. Due to the fact maths and physics weren't seperate classes I was told I wasn't qualified enough for 1st year :rolleyes:

I do get exemptions from the faculty if I go back and do something with biology, which apparently means I can skip my exams this year due to my credits. Then I will be on an undergrad and within the timescale which will keep UAS ticking over nicely.

I'm putting myself through Biology for three years because I figure three years isn't a lot in the scheme of things and I am prepared to do whatever it takes to achieve my career goals. Its not that I hate it I guess, just that I have no interest in it whatsoever. I just can't see an application for it in my life.

sorry if thats hard to understand. I'm confusing myself really.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Just got back from a week on base. Had about 4 flights but have since stopped myself from flying anymore due to quite bad motion sickness. I can only take 1 1/4 G. Pathetic I know. Off to get some meds from another base on Friday and fingers crossed it will work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    I'm putting myself through Biology for three years because I figure three years isn't a lot in the scheme of things and I am prepared to do whatever it takes to achieve my career goals. Its not that I hate it I guess, just that I have no interest in it whatsoever. I just can't see an application for it in my life..
    Why not just join as a DE pilot? If you've already done some uni stuff, are worried about getting old, and think it's the job for you, you could just go straight in?

It's now a lot harder than it used to be to get a good EFT result through UAS with trying to do a degree at the same time. Why not just go in and get to do it constantly under pay?

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from a week on base. Had about 4 flights but have since stopped myself from flying anymore due to quite bad motion sickness. I can only take 1 1/4 G. Pathetic I know. Off to get some meds from another base on Friday and fingers crossed it will work.
    Don't worry too much; it's just not for everyone, really

Good luck with the kwells!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fifth)
    Don't worry too much; it's just not for everyone, really

Good luck with the kwells!
    Its ok, she's getting sent off for centrifugeconditioning or so dirts tells us

ReputationRep:
    Centrifuge training for UAS studes??

I didn't realise they did that. I mean, if you've got a trainee at Valley or an OCU who starts getting sick, then it's worthwhile sending him on an expensive desensitisation course, but why send a UAS stude on one?

ReputationRep:
    Hi sublime , sorry too hear it , i just got back from base done a couple more flights. i was weird on my first flight but im fine now. maybe same will happen too you but might take longer... Bit of inspiration for me after just stepping off the wing of the aircraft i spotted a GR.4 coming over it came right over our hanger FAST and LOW !
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Scorg)
    Its ok, she's getting sent off for centrifugeconditioning or so dirts tells us
    not unless I get into IOT Until then its just some meds. Stuff like that is far too expensive to be spending on mere cadets.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Andy Caldwell)
    Hi sublime , sorry too hear it , i just got back from base done a couple more flights. i was weird on my first flight but im fine now. maybe same will happen too you but might take longer... Bit of inspiration for me after just stepping off the wing of the aircraft i spotted a GR.4 coming over it came right over our hanger FAST and LOW !
    wow that must have been amazing. Can you handle G forces then? I stepped out onto the wing on my third flight and was narly sick all over it

ReputationRep:
    not unless I get into IOT Until then its just some meds. Stuff like that is far too expensive to be spending on mere cadets.
    That was what I meant my own fault for leaving it a bit open ended
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Scorg)
    That was what I meant my own fault for leaving it a bit open ended
    well hopefully *fingers crossed* these meds will work or I shall be well and truely screwed. Up the creek without a paddle and whatnot

ReputationRep:
    yes I was on a foundation year of engineering.

Then I will be on an undergrad and within the timescale which will keep UAS ticking over nicely.

sorry if thats hard to understand. I'm confusing myself really.

Now you really have confused me. On the uni-forum you said you'd done a degree and were now doing a masters! You also said that you're receiving 5k sponsorhsip from the RAF. When did you go to OASC and what did you get sponsorship for? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)
    sent my enqiry to the ATC today, god knows what the responce will be, but looks like i might actually be joining soon!

You'll probably get a much quicker response by calling in person. You'd be able to complete the application on the spot and arrange to join immediately!

Have you managed to get in touch with the medical staff at Cranwell yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fifth)
    Centrifuge training for UAS studes??

I didn't realise they did that. I mean, if you've got a trainee at Valley or an OCU who starts getting sick, then it's worthwhile sending him on an expensive desensitisation course, but why send a UAS stude on one?

I think Dirts was referring to commissioned pilots who had some flying experience under their belt.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.