Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
not unless I get into IOT Until then its just some meds. Stuff like that is far too expensive to be spending on mere cadets.

Hope you're o.k What med do you have to take?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Fifth, what UAS are you on?
High Best Cold
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fifth)
Why not just join as a DE pilot? If you've already done some uni stuff, are worried about getting old, and think it's the job for you, you could just go straight in?

It's now a lot harder than it used to be to get a good EFT result through UAS with trying to do a degree at the same time. Why not just go in and get to do it constantly under pay?

LOL ! That easy is it mate? I mean to get in as a DE pilot ? LOL Not anytime is it easy especially not at the moment !
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Andy Caldwell)
LOL ! That easy is it mate? I mean to get in as a DE pilot ? LOL Not anytime is it easy especially not at the moment !

Not scared of the competition are you Andy?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Just means you have to work harder, and be better than the rest;piece of cake
Fifth
Report 15 years ago
Overall over the next few years it's a lot easier to wind up at Linton by going in as a DE pilot than it is staying on a UAS. At least as hard to get sponsorship as it is to get in DE, plus you have to do a degree while doing EFT, and who knows how well you'll do compared to if you were doing it over 6 months instead of 3 years?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fifth)
plus you have to do a degree while doing EFT, and who knows how well you'll do compared to if you were doing it over 6 months instead of 3 years?

Probably me having a blonde moment, but you've lost me there tbh. Are you talking about EFT or the degree?? :confused:
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Hope you're o.k What med do you have to take?
no idea yet. I can let ya know on Friday after my appointment
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
anyone doing ten tors this year?
peegee
Report 15 years ago
Here's one for the book... has anyone heard of WSO commissions only being short service and not permanent? OASC says its fact, and wont offer PCs to any potential WSOs!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by peegee)
Here's one for the book... has anyone heard of WSO commissions only being short service and not permanent? OASC says its fact, and wont offer PCs to any potential WSOs!
isn't that due to the fact most are being phased out?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by peegee)

I know you argued quite vehemently a couple of months ago about everyone who had gone through Pilot/6Fscholarship, having to go back and do the whole of OASC again, but Ive been informed twice now by AFCO that isn't the case for potential med students. I've been told that although successful pilot scholarships (and many other branches) have to go through OASC again, potential med students receive an automatic bursary for uni if they successfully pass 6FS for OASC because of the difficulties in recruitment in this branch.

In addition, as a med student, I have received literature from the RAF's marketing arm that states:

"If you've been awarded an RAF 6FS and choose to continue your studies to degree level. you will automatically be offered a bursary, while you're at university."

(PUB 569. Published by COI communications for the RAF, COI Communications).
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I know you argued quite vehemently a couple of months ago about everyone who had gone through Pilot/6Fscholarship, having to go back and do the whole of OASC again, but Ive been informed twice now by AFCO that isn't the case for potential med students. I've been told that although successful pilot scholarships (and many other branches) have to go through OASC again, potential med students receive an automatic bursary for uni if they successfully pass 6FS for OASC because of the difficulties in recruitment in this branch.

In addition, as a med student, I have received literature from the RAF's marketing arm that states:

"If you've been awarded an RAF 6FS and choose to continue your studies to degree level. you will automatically be offered a bursary, while you're at university."

(PUB 569. Published by COI communications for the RAF, COI Communications).
Think as has been said in the past, medical, law and church services are kept seperate from the main selection boards so will do things differently, this being another of those ocations.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I've been told that although successful pilot scholarships have to go through OASC again, potential med students receive an automatic bursary for uni if they successfully pass 6FS for OASC because of the difficulties in recruitment in this branch.

I think my best bet is to ask for a direct answer when I'm at Cranwell in couple of weeks time
Blue_Wolf75
Report 15 years ago
I know you argued quite vehemently a couple of months ago about everyone who had gone through Pilot/6Fscholarship, having to go back and do the whole of OASC again, but Ive been informed twice now by AFCO that isn't the case for potential med students. I've been told that although successful pilot scholarships (and many other branches) have to go through OASC again
I'm not sure if its the case now but Pilot Scholars don't have to do all of OASC again. They do both parts of OASC in one go and so if they get a scholarship they have a place on IOT. You might be getting confused with a 6FS where by you can apply for any branch for a 6FS including medical, but you have to do OASC again if you want to go for direct entry or a uni bursary. Medical Cadetships guaruntee you a place on IOT.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Wolf75)
I'm not sure if its the case now but Pilot Scholars don't have to do all of OASC again. They do both parts of OASC in one go and so if they get a scholarship they have a place on IOT. You might be getting confused with a 6FS where by you can apply for any branch for a 6FS including medical, but you have to do OASC again if you want to go for direct entry or a uni bursary. Medical Cadetships guaruntee you a place on IOT.

I don't know enough about Pilot Scholarships to comment on them, but I'm certainly not confusing the 6FS with the Pilot scholarship. I also have a good understanding of how the processes for bursaries and cadetships work. Sponsored med studes would get both a bursary and a cadetship, as the course is five years.

I've been given the same info twice now from my local AFCO, but I'll check it out with Cranwell when I'm there, to get the definitive answer.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Probably be useful to post these here too, so that they don't get lost!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
A few of the RAF beancounters went to the Chief of Staff (I think is was COS?) to propose cutting the budget. They we're instantly denied their request. It appears that COS values the work and the effort put in.
It's CAS, Chief of the Air Staff. And he doesn't control the budget like this, actually, it's all done internally through the MoD.

That's a total of 119,000 12-20 year olds off the streets!
Do remember the MoD's happy to put in place cuts and restrictions that put the lives of servicemen at risk sometimes. The type of kids who tend to be cadets are not the type who would otherwise turn to crime! I'd happily have 119 000 on the streets and have the money in the defence budget closer to the front line.

They saved a lot of money from the grounding of the Grobs last year as well.
... Grobs that belong to HQ PTC's budget; not the ATC!

The only thing I was aware of was the difficulty faced with the Airfield Review Project. Where are the AEF's going to go, and hence the UAS'.
The Defence Airfield Review is an excellent idea; instead of being moved through my career between 40 small, underfunded, undersupported airfields, I'll be moving between 15 excellent, large, well equipped ones.

And you do realise AEFs are flights within UASs, right? The UASs; if they survive current reviews and work strands in their current form; will move to where they're required, and AEFs will follow or fold.

Additionally, even though the ATC are NOT a recruiting organisation for the RAF per say, I was told that the Marketing Budget for the RAF would have to be increased if the ATC didn't exist. The increase would be more than what the ATC currently get.
What branches and trades does the RAF currently have a recruiting problem with, and how many cadets join those? What percentage of cadets actually join the RAF?

It's a little crass to spuriously say that the RAF would need to spend more on marketing than it does on an entire cadet organisation if it were to fold. Who gave you those figures?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rich_greeny)
It's not the end of the world not getting pilot, i know i've been there, all my life i wanted to be a pilot, but there are alternatives.
Another thing wannabe pilots should remember is that they haven't tried the job yet. It's not always wonderful!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've just read that cadets and UAS's are under threat because of defence budget cuts. :eek: Anybody knwo how true this is, and timescales for any reductions/cuts?
Yes, they're both being/have been looked at, but the timescales are fairly slack.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads