RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
In fact, why bother with pilots - the operation could all be done from the ground...! Don't be too surprised if this or the next is the last generation of military fast jet pilots :hmpf:
(I wonder if this opens a can of worms... )
Why bother with pilots? Same reasons we don't just rely on sims; it's not the same! And if you have a UCAV doing its stuff, it still can't match the sensor ability and decision making of a human being.....
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
I can only take 1 1/4 G. Pathetic I know. Off to get some meds from another base on Friday and fingers crossed it will work.
Is it really +Gz that's the problem? G force isn't that likely to make you throw, it's normally general motion sickness. Do you suffer from "stomach awareness" during flight?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Andy Caldwell)
LOL ! That easy is it mate? I mean to get in as a DE pilot ? LOL Not anytime is it easy especially not at the moment !
I agree with him, actually. It's trickier to do it now through a UAS than ever, now there's no difference between you and your DE mate.

He lives in the mess, gets paid, and does it day in day out with excellent continuity and priority.

You do it whenever you can cram it in around a degree, with only the occasional IA to ease the breaks, and are expected to be streamed on the same platform as him at the end.

You used to get a 90 hour course better tailored to the UAS student.

Back to the point Fifth made, in sublime_envy's case, why put yourself through 3 years of uni just to get into the RAF as a pilot? If you don't want a degree it's silly.

I went through uni because I wanted to and knew I could. If I didn't want to spend years at uni and just wanted to fly, I would have gone direct.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Probably me having a blonde moment, but you've lost me there tbh. Are you talking about EFT or the degree?? :confused:
I should imagine EFT. I think we read from the same prayer book
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think my best bet is to ask for a direct answer when I'm at Cranwell in couple of weeks time
You've got one. Vicars and tarts are separate from the rest of us; while it's been yonks since I dealt with any of them at OASC, I know that's the case, just not how it manifests itself.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Is it really +Gz that's the problem? G force isn't that likely to make you throw, it's normally general motion sickness. Do you suffer from "stomach awareness" during flight?
what do you mean by 'stomach awareness'? Generally I feel sick to my stomach as as though I may faint.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's when you're surprisingly aware of your stomach and whatever's going on in it.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
that would be it then
dirts
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Why bother with pilots? Same reasons we don't just rely on sims; it's not the same! And if you have a UCAV doing its stuff, it still can't match the sensor ability and decision making of a human being.....
You're right, it's not the same! But from whose perspective are we looking at?
First of all, you aren't taking the man out of the loop, so the decision making still rests with a human being. Sensors are getting better and better all round, you want to see what the predator can see - can't go into it here, obviously, but next time I see you Wzz, I'll do some comparisons for you!! We don't just rely on sims because they're made to fly like the real thing, and although most are very good, they can never quite crack it...you know what I mean. However, everything about UAVs/UCAVs was designed around the control consol being remote from the aircraft (very remote, by the way!) and that is how it's optimised. You're right in the sense that there's little substitute for not actually being there in the thick of it, aircrew might be that bit more alert to the situation than someone sitting cosy on the ground. Conversely, people on the ground would not be as fatigued. Take it from me, it's reasonably knackering spending 8 hours strapped to an ejection seat without a stretch of the legs and a cup of tea!
Then of course, I suppose you could argue that if something were to happen to the UAV, the controller may not be quite as bothered about sorting the situation and bringing the wounded bird home, as opposed to someone whose pink body may depend on it. Then again, so what?! I'll wager there's a financial benefit of losing a UAV over a manned aircraft too!!
I don't think we need worry too much at the moment though, UCAVs are still a reasonable way behind manned military aviation - but catching up fast!
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Another thing wannabe pilots should remember is that they haven't tried the job yet. It's not always wonderful!
Yeah, the 8 hours without a cup of tea and a stretch of the legs!
Not to mention the "ease springs" situation!
Groan - aircrew are never happy! :p:
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
The Defence Airfield Review is an excellent idea; instead of being moved through my career between 40 small, underfunded, undersupported airfields, I'll be moving between 15 excellent, large, well equipped ones.
That's true, but now we just need to move them to centres of civilisation! The yanks have got it right - DMAFB, you drive out of the main gate straight into Tucson! Nellis AFB, right into Vegas!
RAF Lossiemouth, into the heart of...Elgin.
Valley...Bangor.
We still have a couple around london for the trukkies, but what happened to RAF Manchester? Or RAF Slap-in-the-Middle of Leeds?!!
Bloody Whinging Aircrew! Still, it's the blunties who get more choice over where they go!
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
That's true, but now we just need to move them to centres of civilisation! The yanks have got it right - DMAFB, you drive out of the main gate straight into Tucson! Nellis AFB, right into Vegas!
RAF Lossiemouth, into the heart of...Elgin.
Valley...Bangor.
We still have a couple around london for the trukkies, but what happened to RAF Manchester? Or RAF Slap-in-the-Middle of Leeds?!!
Bloody Whinging Aircrew! Still, it's the blunties who get more choice over where they go!
Get a transfer to F3 (me hides!) and try move to Leuchars then its right next to St andrews and Dundee is just 10 minutes away
Edinburgh is just an hour in the other direction, exit the main gate, turn right and head towards the train station
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just got back from a week on base. Had about 4 flights but have since stopped myself from flying anymore due to quite bad motion sickness. I can only take 1 1/4 G. Pathetic I know. Off to get some meds from another base on Friday and fingers crossed it will work.
I didn't realise that MO's on the base would have patient responsibilities for UAS studes, I thought it was just RAF personnel and their families? :eek: Does that mean all UAS studes are automatically registered with the MO on a base? I thought you had to be registered with a doc for them to prescribe medication, or doesn’t it work that way for military docs. :confused:
peegee
Report 14 years ago
"I'm not sure if its the case now but Pilot Scholars don't have to do all of OASC again. They do both parts of OASC in one go and so if they get a scholarship they have a place on IOT."

Yea, they do... the difference between Pilot scholars and Sixth form scholars who are fb(p) is that the sixth form scholar can then choose to go for a uni bursury... both studes do pt1. no idea wat uni bursary studes do, but i believe the lot again... pilot scholars and DE sixth form scholars who are pilot branch, both go back to OASC to do full selection (including pt1 again) with the rest of the DE candidates (trust me, i jus got back!)
peegee
Report 14 years ago
isn't that due to the fact most are being phased out?
yea... definatly.. according to the 'liason officer' NCA is expanding, and the WSO role is shrinking fast, and he was coming up to his OEP, so he should know!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I didn't realise that MO's on the base would have patient responsibilities for UAS studes, I thought it was just RAF personnel and their families? :eek: Does that mean all UAS studes are automatically registered with the MO on a base? I thought you had to be registered with a doc for them to prescribe medication, or doesn’t it work that way for military docs. :confused:
you have to go in and register with them but UAS students can use them. You have to have a good reason though, you can't just adopt them as your doctor while you a student. Like I injured my hand on base so thats where they took me. When I went to the same base for my hand and they made me an emergency appointment with a MO and registered with me. My QFI made my appointment for my motion sickness which has to go through a MO so thats who I'm off to see again.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
on a lighter note, I changed my degree and spent the last 3 hours learning about the sexual organs of fungi :rolleyes:
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
on a lighter note, I changed my degree and spent the last 3 hours learning about the sexual organs of fungi :rolleyes:
I'm sure you'll find certain 'dedicated' websites for that kinda thing!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
anyone doing ten tors this year?
Quite a few of the ATC's in my area are doing it. I'm doing the three peaks 3-5 June instead

Is there a team from your UAS doing it?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you have to go in and register with them but UAS students can use them. You have to have a good reason though, you can't just adopt them as your doctor while you a student.

My QFI made my appointment for my motion sickness which has to go through a MO so thats who I'm off to see again.

Ah, right, that's how it works It's obviously a bit different ftrom civvy docs then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.66%
Excited (154)
9.11%
Worried (303)
17.92%
Terrified (376)
22.24%
Meh (162)
9.58%
Confused (37)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (232)
13.72%
Impatient (213)
12.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise