Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
on a lighter note, I changed my degree and spent the last 3 hours learning about the sexual organs of fungi :rolleyes:

I assume from that you've chosen to do Biology?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
I'm sure you'll find certain 'dedicated' websites for that kinda thing!
You sound very knowledgeable about it REME? :p:
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Ha! Ha! I'm just glad you didn't post this the day after I got back home at half past midnight after a 13 hour day! I might have bitten then!!

Yeah, yeah, it's a hard life; especially the mess and happy hour!! :p:
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
I had alot of that over christmas, with a friend in the black watch who had just arrived back from dogwood and a work mate who's brother was lost in the warrior incident. Two of the fallen BW members went to the same school as me as well. Makes you stop and think
It's always a little more poignant when it's closer to home or someone you know.
Not nice.
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
You sound very knowledgeable about it REME? :p:
well erm.... a fat bloke in the pub told me... allegedly
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well erm.... a fat bloke in the pub told me... allegedly

Of course he did
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm quite euphoric... today was the very last day of my degree course . No more... never... finished... kaputt!
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm quite euphoric... today was the very last day of my degree course . No more... never... finished... kaputt!
Whats your degree in? Nice knowing its all done eh
I remember that feeling 1 and half years ago, was great. But here I am back at college doing Maths! just so I can get an application in.
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Whats your degree in? Nice knowing its all done eh
I remember that feeling 1 and half years ago, was great. But here I am back at college doing Maths! just so I can get an application in.
Electronic engineering.

Now I find myself wondering what to do every night until midnight! My wife and daughter saw me in the living room last night instead of at my desk, and thought I was a burglar!

I can see myself applying for a few adv trg courses and jollies to get me away from the system for a while.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Electronic engineering.

Now I find myself wondering what to do every night until midnight! My wife and daughter saw me in the living room last night instead of at my desk, and thought I was a burglar!

I can see myself applying for a few adv trg courses and jollies to get me away from the system for a while.

Aaaww, well done REME. I hope you celebrated in a suitable manner at the pub? But once you've finished celebrating (and I've heard these things can go on for weeks!!), I'm sure yor family will appreciate the extra time you'll have to spend with them.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Sensors are getting better and better all round, you want to see what the predator can see - can't go into it here, obviously, but next time I see you Wzz, I'll do some comparisons for you!!
I know what you mean. I've had a quick brief on Predator, and it's impressive, but again it's only got targetted sensors. I really don't think you can beat the extra benefit of the old Mk1 eyeball swinging around. If you aren't pointing a sensor over your shoulder, you won't see anything there unless you look!

(Original post by dirts)
We don't just rely on sims because they're made to fly like the real thing, and although most are very good, they can never quite crack it...you know what I mean.
Yes. And if you saw me in it this morning, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Boing......

(Original post by dirts)
You're right in the sense that there's little substitute for not actually being there in the thick of it, aircrew might be that bit more alert to the situation than someone sitting cosy on the ground. Conversely, people on the ground would not be as fatigued. Take it from me, it's reasonably knackering spending 8 hours strapped to an ejection seat without a stretch of the legs and a cup of tea!
Have done 4 hours and thought my back was already broken by the time we landed.....!

(Original post by dirts)
Then of course, I suppose you could argue that if something were to happen to the UAV, the controller may not be quite as bothered about sorting the situation and bringing the wounded bird home, as opposed to someone whose pink body may depend on it. Then again, so what?! I'll wager there's a financial benefit of losing a UAV over a manned aircraft too!!
I don't think we need worry too much at the moment though, UCAVs are still a reasonable way behind manned military aviation - but catching up fast!
All good arguments. It's one of those frustrating things that you can sing for both sides if you like.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sounds like a good idea to me! Partly what's making my decisions about which uni to go to so difficult;I don't want to be stuck on a UAS in the middle of nowhere!

Guess, it'd be even worse to be stuck on a UAS that was really quiet in the middle of nowhere! :eek:
Yeah, get one near your uni and on a front line base if you can.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
to the services, "come up with reccomendations. True, the uniforms do not like it, but that is what they are paid to do. They have to weigh up the pros and cons and out of which they make a list of prefereable options. What i was saying was the ATC was "proposed" but CAS knocked it back.
The workstrands put in place to come up with cost saving measures are part of MoD teams rather than service specific. That's why they come up with some fairly terrible ideas, but the veto lies within the usual MoD chain of command up to Cheifs level. So when they proposed closing Cranwell and Dartmouth colleges and sending everyone to Shrivenham, everyone wisely said that was a ridiculous plan. When they suggested retiring Jaguar early and cutting our IPS to 45, it got through. In this case it's not likely to be an RAF team looking at cost saving within the RAF.

How do you know this? (the crime bit).
Personal experience with cadets at various levels. It's impossible to put a generalisation on this, but I hardly think that there'd be a massive explosion in crime if all cadet organisations folded.

Again, quite correct. But PTC refunded money saved from fuel etc. to the ATC for them to be able to procure 90% more Flying Scholarships last year.
If PTC decided to hand out flying scholarships using money we desperately need to pay for kit at my base, then I'd like to meet the accountant who authed that! As Dirts said earlier, it doesn't quite add up.

Branches/Trades not a problem (except regiment, but i wouldn't class that as a problem a the moment) Ex/Current Cadets becoming officers/NCOs = ~68%, Ex/Current Cadets becoming airmen/women = 48%
Do you mean 68% of officers and NCOs are ex-cadets? That's certainly not borne up by and of the stations I've served on. Probably more like 15%.

Have you any idea how much money is spent on marketing for the RAF each year? (including the presentation teams work) and how much is spent by the ATC?
Yes, I worked at OASC a few years ago and was with the marketing people for a while

Anyway, as you say no sense in arguing. I don't like the thought that PTC's fuel budget pays for cadet flying scholarships (we should stop them for a while; we've too many pilots!!), but that's something for me to ask the blunties.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
That's true, but now we just need to move them to centres of civilisation!
We still have a couple around london for the trukkies, but what happened to RAF Manchester? Or RAF Slap-in-the-Middle of Leeds?!!

Excellent idea for RAF personnel, but wouldn't City Centres then become prime targets, increasing risks for civilian casualties?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Yeah, get one near your uni and on a front line base if you can.

You managed to get back on then

Which, in your opinion, would rate as the best four UAS's?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Excellent idea for RAF personnel, but wouldn't City Centres then become prime targets, increasing risks for civilian casualties?
There's no threat like that anymore, with the cold war over. That's why we've moved from living in bunkers to nice airy buildings
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You managed to get back on then

Which, in your opinion, would rate as the best four UAS's?
Errr... to avoid riling anyone, I'll PM you.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Errr... to avoid riling anyone, I'll PM you.
Gutless!!
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
There's no threat like that anymore, with the cold war over. That's why we've moved from living in bunkers to nice airy buildings
Tell that to those poor sods working in the bunker at High Wycombe.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, Wzz is right, and besides, there are loads of RAF stations around london, not to mention the MoD, MIs, the Horse Guards, No 10, etc. I think it's more to do with the noise FJs make. The yanks are a lot more pro military and seem to accept flying bases near big cities. Having said that, the noise complaints go up every time a tornado detachment is sent to Tucson, one thing the Tonka is very good at, it's making a loud noise!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (268)
34.23%
No (515)
65.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise