RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

ferg
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Does anyone hear belong to a UAS?

Are undergraduates with bursaries from the RAF given preference in the UAS recruitment procedure?
mark1010
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ferg)
Does anyone hear belong to a UAS?

Are undergraduates with bursaries from the RAF given preference in the UAS recruitment procedure?
I might be wrong, but i think if you get a bursary you have to join the UAS
papasmurf
Report 15 years ago
hi
im 14 and are currently still at school. but i am trying to get a sponsorship from the RAF to beome a pilot. If there are any RAF pilots reading this can u email me some details on the Airforce and their standards (their website did not include much). [email protected] (the space is an under score on my email address)
dingbat46
Report 15 years ago
Hi is anyone else off down to OASC on 9th March?? I'm pretty nervous so any advice on interviews (i.e Questions and Suitable Answers) would be very gratefuly recieved
DaveWhiteside
Report 15 years ago
I am 21 studying for my PPL and I am wanting to apply to the RAF to become a pilot. I was wondering if there are any practice tests I can get hold off?
This "Test Prep" mentioned, can anyone email me a copy please?
QUOTE=Unregistered]Thanks for the info!

I managed to obtain a copy of self test software for pilots called "Test Prep". It has 473 questions that feature in the theory test.

If any readers are qualified pilots there's no point, otherwise if you email me at [email protected], I will email you a copy.

Dale[/QUOTE]
zug
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i went into the raf preston careers office for some information (who were very helpful, cheers). i was given a couple of cd's to look at which were very helpful. now my question. to be perfectly honest im crap at maths and wish to become a pilot (laugh everyone else has, *******s) but would like some tips on improving both multitasking and mental arithmetic as these both worry me.alot. help would be great. oh and i just found a great site for anyone wishing to know about OASC.

www.airmenaircrew.freeserve.co.uk
Alex Still
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Hi everyone,
I'm 18 at the moment. I attended OASC last august and was awarded the pilot scholarship, which is direct entry as a pilot on a permanent commission (until im 38), plus £1000 for my upper sixth year, and a reserved place on the 'In-service' degree scheme (several years down the line i do an OU degree, paid for by the RAF, of course). Out of 277 pilot applicants only 2 of us were chosen, so listen in!
Go to RAF careers website, click on missions, then old missions. These are jazzed up versions of the 1st half hour of the aptitude tests. Practice these every day.
I recommend playing on a flight sim a much as you can, these will hone any innate ability you may (or may not) have. Knowing how an aircraft instrument panel looks will help loads.
Learn to do mental arithmetic almost subconsciously, by practice! You will have to do sums whilst doing a memory task and a vigilance task.
Get an IQ-type-test book. improve your problem solving abilities. Know how to read and estimate compass bearings, and how to read figures from charts and tables very rapidly.
About 40 candidates were at breakfast on my OASC course the 1st morning, after the first 5 hours (the aptitude test) all but 11 of us were on the bus back to grantham station! its pretty ruthless.
The rest of the day is medical tests (not a lot you can change there, but ensure you are roughly the right weight for your height and frame).
More medical checks the next day, and an INTERVIEW!!
Know everything about raf equipment, bases and operations overseas. Know current affairs, recent military campaigns (of any country), domestic affairs, cultural issues, political issues. Know sincerely why you want to join the RAF. Learn how to carry yourself in an i/v (posture, body language, eye contact). You'll have 20 minutes to answer questions about yourself, so sell yourself! The interview is blag-proof, be direct, confident and concise!
The fitness test is 20 metre shuttle runs (bleep test) which is hard as it is a maximal test. Train like a soldier for this, an run till your hanging out of your arse! Good fitness shows dedication and a mature approach to your application as a military officer.
In the leadership tasks have plenty of confidence and drive, get involved and dont be afraid to be vocal. What use is an idea if you keep it to yourself?
The planning task is all about good arithmetic (speed/distance/time) and speedy thought and accurate calculations. Dont let them rip your plan to shreds, they will try!
If you are successful at this stage, give yourself a pat on the back. They will, however, recall you after a period of time for more in depth medical checks.
Oh and by the way, you need 5 GCSE's and 2 A levels at the very least. A Good CV goes a long way. You cannot wear glasses, have asthma, hayfever, epilepsy, migraines or be outside weight and height limits.
Best of luck to anyone who tries OASC for entry as a pilot, its damn selective!
I hope this advice helps,
Godspeed!

The info was really helpful the only question i want to ask is wat the max height for a pilot in the RAF please e mail me at [email protected] if u knw any 1 thanks
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Take the numbers etc in the above quote with a pinch of salt. I was working at OASC at the time of most of the pilot scholarship boards, and they were, well, disasterous. It seems that they attracted a lot of people who weren't necessarily capable of going to university, hence decided that they'd try the RAF. That's why there were hardly any given out, and why the failure rate was so high. It ended up with an IOT course with hardly anyone in it, as so many places were set aside for them.

Basically, selection is not that hard; when I joined originally, there was only 3 out of 39 sent home. Two medical fails, and one aptitude fail. The pilot scholarship seemed to attract poor candidates.

Be careful about being too vocal in leadership tasks too. Shouting out your colleagues is an extremely bad idea.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by zug)
but would like some tips on improving both multitasking and mental arithmetic as these both worry me.
Practice!

The website in question deals with non-commissioned aircrew.
zug
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i hope i speak on behalf of everyone when i say thankyou for all the help and advice we recieve on this site. its a great place for all up and coming pilots to discuss things, and a special thankyou to all thequalified pilots who take the time to help. this is awesome and most appriciated.
superted
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dingbat46)
Hi is anyone else off down to OASC on 9th March?? I'm pretty nervous so any advice on interviews (i.e Questions and Suitable Answers) would be very gratefuly recieved
Dingbat,
I heard from a friend who sat his board recently that they have somewhat changed the format at OASC now. Whereas you had to complete an individual AND a group planning scenario excercise - now it is just the one group scenario. You'll have to confirm if this is true because I have my board at the end of March.

Good luck.
superted
Report 15 years ago
Hi Wzz,
Thanks - think I might just drop you an email. However, I just found out some pretty bad news - may have broken my toe (2 weeks before i am due to attend OASC)!! I am gutted and this may cause serious problems - am on crutches awaiting more info from doctors!

Still, want to know things in case I can defer so, I'll definately email you.

Superted.
me99dhj
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by superted)
Dingbat,
I heard from a friend who sat his board recently that they have somewhat changed the format at OASC now. Whereas you had to complete an individual AND a group planning scenario excercise - now it is just the one group scenario. You'll have to confirm if this is true because I have my board at the end of March.

Good luck.
I'm not Dingbat......as you may well have guessed, but I have just returned from OASC 2 days ago having made it through the whole process, so maybe I can help.
Having completed the group discussion as part of a syndicate you progress straight into the group planning excercise. Following the group planning exercise you return on an individual basis to display that you understand the plan and that you can confidently alter the route given different circumstances. It is a 5 minute affair tops.
Once complete you retire to for the day and all that remains is the leaderless and leadership hangar excercises.
Hope that helps and all the best with your application
Jack_dee
Report 15 years ago
Hey guys,

Been plodding over the idea of joining the RAF since i was a kid!!? Having only just decided that after all these years this is something i could truely dedicate myself to, i realise that i may now be to old or too under qualified!!? Is it too late??

Im 21 and have 10 GCSE's(A-C) and 3 A levels!!?

Where would i even begin to start looking into the possibility of becoming a pilot in the RAF??

A little advice would be greatly appreciated guys!!?

Pete
zug
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hey it sounds like we are in a simillar postion, im 19 and going back to college to get my A levels. Try the RAF careers website, also visit your local RAF careers office and keep posting and browsing here because its really helpful. hope that helps.
skyler
Report 15 years ago
I've wanted to be a pilot all y life but the thing is my eyesight isn't brilliant, do u htink i'd still be able to be a pilot even if i wear contacts?
gliderpilot
Report 15 years ago
skyler if you read through the thread you would find the answer to your question.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Skyler, I'm afraid probably not, but ask an AFCO for exact medical limits. I believe it's 6/6 vision to be front seat, 6/24 corrected to 6/6 rear seat.
superted
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by me99dhj)
I'm not Dingbat......as you may well have guessed, but I have just returned from OASC 2 days ago having made it through the whole process, so maybe I can help.
Having completed the group discussion as part of a syndicate you progress straight into the group planning excercise. Following the group planning exercise you return on an individual basis to display that you understand the plan and that you can confidently alter the route given different circumstances. It is a 5 minute affair tops.
Once complete you retire to for the day and all that remains is the leaderless and leadership hangar excercises.
Hope that helps and all the best with your application
Thanks - hope it went well for you...? I thought that they were going to give me a whole scenario to do on my own so, i'm quite glad that's not the case. I expect they chuck in a few extra's to try to make you change the group's plan? Did you stick your plan? I'd be intrigued if you can offer any hints for this part of OASC. Also, on the aptitude tests (for non-pilot).
Let us know when you find out your result.
me99dhj
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by superted)
Thanks - hope it went well for you...? I thought that they were going to give me a whole scenario to do on my own so, i'm quite glad that's not the case. I expect they chuck in a few extra's to try to make you change the group's plan? Did you stick your plan? I'd be intrigued if you can offer any hints for this part of OASC. Also, on the aptitude tests (for non-pilot).
The group planning exercise is very full on and requires you to take in and record a lot of information. You will find it very hard to record all the important points but have a read through without writing anything down first, to get the scenario clear in your own mind. Once you are allowed to confer with the group information flies from every direction and it is a challenge to keep up with it all. My particular group worked and ultimately scrapped 2 route ideas before reaching a final one. Whether it was optimum or not is irrelevant, but what was important is that we were all "singing from the same songsheet!"
Upon returning individually for the questioning I was asked to suggest other possible routes, of which there were not many, then asked to change the route or choose a new one give an extra criteria.
Don't worry about whether what you are suggesting is completely right or completely wrong, just make sure that what you are saying is sensible!
As for aptitude you either have it or you don't, unfortunately! My line of study helped me a great deal with the mathematics and the problem solving, but there are areas in which everyone is on a level playing field and a degree of luck becomes involved. My biggest hint is READ the questions FULLY and UNDERSTAND the problem! You will be told, but it is very easy to become blase about what seems like an easy problem. I fell into that trap and it almost cost me my branch choice.
Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (24)
17.14%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (22)
15.71%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (29)
20.71%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (55)
39.29%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (3)
2.14%
No particular grades needed (7)
5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise