Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Gutless!!

Ouch!!
AK-47
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Hey all,

I ve finally managed to bring myself up to date with this thread after about a month of reading it in small chunks! Thanks to everone who has contributed as i have found much of the information extremely useful. I have my filter interview at my local AFCO in a couple of weeks. Just wondering if anyone could help me out by recommending any good websites/books etc on NATO other than the home site obviously. Mainly I am having trouble finding information on what the RAF is currently contributing to NATO, its role etc. Any help on this or any tips on the interview would be greatly apprecited.

Thanks.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
News of an RAF Hercules lost in Iraq

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/4220649.stm
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
Tell that to those poor sods working in the bunker at High Wycombe.
Well, we're slowly moving to nice airy buildings rather than bunkers.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
News of an RAF Hercules lost in Iraq

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/4220649.stm
oh **** I was speaking to some of the guys who were going out there last month
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
oh **** I was speaking to some of the guys who were going out there last month

Do you know some of them? :eek: Hope your fiance isn't out there?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Do you know some of them? :eek: Hope your fiance isn't out there?
no, he's back. Was wounded 2 weeks ago so flew home. I don't know them but it is our home base and I was up on friday speaking to a few of the lads and we tend to go up there quite a bit. I spoke to two pilots a couple of weeks ago who were of out there. Its just a shock. Even if I don't know them, just to have it happen is a shock. Thats all.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just saw on skynews (thats me back in from work now since the original post) that its between 10 - 15, and unknown reason for her going down (which is fair, cant expect instant answers in air investigation).

I met some Nimrod crew when I was at Leuchers, they where saying they where going to be over in Iraq for this time of year.

This type of accident you never want to hear of happening and hope they never do and i'd have to say thoughts are with their families and colleague's who knew them.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
This type of accident you never want to hear of happening and hope they never do and i'd have to say thoughts are with their families and colleague's who knew them.

Absolutely
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Got my first driving lesson today, so if you're round my area this afternoon, it might be wise to keep off the roads
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Got my first driving lesson today, so if you're round my area this afternoon, it might be wise to keep off the roads
thats ok, i'll be in bed and my car will be resting as well

anyway, enjoy it, cant think of not being able to drive here

:driver:
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Have any details been released about the Herc, or are they still waiting to inform the families?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Have any details been released about the Herc, or are they still waiting to inform the families?
I think the families have been informed http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...464314,00.html
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
one of the guys has three kids under the age of 10
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
one of the guys has three kids under the age of 10
Also marks a horrible milestone as being the first australian lost
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Also marks a horrible milestone as being the first australian lost

I feel utterly sickened by it, and can't begin to imagine what the guys in the job are feeling
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I feel utterly sickened by it, and can't begin to imagine what the guys in the job are feeling
Unfortunately that is one of the perils of the job. Each and every serviceman/woman knows that by drawing the wage, one must at times put oneself in a position of danger.

My thoughts go out to the families and loved ones of the victims, as it is they who do not have the choice of putting their family member at risk, but invariably support them throughout. As a small comfort they will know that the Forces community will always rally round to help and support them when they need it.

Any conflict is never pleasant, but these airmen and soldiers, along with thousands like them, are doing an important job in order that millions of others can live in relative peace. The vast majority of service personnel would not let this deter them from going to troublespots around the world and doing what is asked of them, even knowing the inherent dangers that exist.
Locost Builder
Report 13 years ago
Unfortunately that is one of the perils of the job. Each and every serviceman/woman knows that by drawing the wage, one must at times put oneself in a position of danger.

My thoughts go out to the families and loved ones of the victims, as it is they who do not have the choice of putting their family member at risk, but invariably support them throughout. As a small comfort they will know that the Forces community will always rally round to help and support them when they need it.

Any conflict is never pleasant, but these airmen and soldiers, along with thousands like them, are doing an important job in order that millions of others can live in relative peace. The vast majority of service personnel would not let this deter them from going to troublespots around the world and doing what is asked of them, even knowing the inherent dangers that exist.
Hi Jim,
Exactly right. I have always felt worse for my Mrs. You tend not to give the perilous aspect a second thought whilst out there yourself. It's harder for the family left behind.
JMC
Report 13 years ago
A bit off the topic, but why do military planes not carry black boxes?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well what if we weren't the ones to find the plane....?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise