RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by peegee)
Yeah, ive looked into this - the US wont let anyone who has previously served in another countries armed forces join theres. And its a totally balnket policy, even for NATO nations or the UK.
No, not what I was referring to. As a pilot, you have to be British from birth; due to some issues involving working with the RAF. Whether or not that's extended across other officer branches I'm unsure.
canuck
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nik01)
Then try phoning one of the numbers on the RAF website and asking them direct!

Yes, considering that i live over 10,000 km away. Imagine the phone bill.
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by canuck)
Try CFB Suffield, AB. I'm not sure where Port McNeil is with respect to Calgary, but if you can get in touch with Suffield there are a lot of British Service personnel there who may be able to steer you in the right direction.

PM me if you want more details.
Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, I've just got back and am knackered! There were around 30 people on my board, with almost all going for pilot, and just one other guy going for med officer.

The aptitude tests seemed to go well, and because I knew there was no pressure on me, I quite enjoyed them. I was the second person to finish, taking just under two and a half hours to complete them, including all my breaks. Don't know what I scored, as it's not really relevant to med officer, but I was told that I'd passed for every branch, including pilot. Surprisingly, only 4 out of the 30 passed. :eek: I passed the medical for pilot as well, so if I don't get in as a doc I might consider a career change (only joking!).

The interview seemed to go o.k too, although I was expecting them to ask me much more about myself than they did. They seemed to concentrate mostly on my knowledge of current afffairs, and the RAF itself. Gave me quite a grilling on the Asian Tsunami, and Aids in Africa, but I knew those quite well, so was able to answer all their questions about them.

In my debrief they said I was confident and came across well. The only criticism I got was that my knowledge of RAF aircraft and weapons could be improved (which it could). Although the guy doing the debrief said he didn't know why that was particularly relevant to med officers!

So, all in all, it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd expected, and I quite enjoyed it (although I don't want to repeat the experience anytime soon !!)
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sgt_Sezzle)
he he cool , must remember those! i know this seems a weird question but i feel i should know! but do you wear a bra to ur medical or not? :rolleyes:

I know girls often want specific advice etc about things that don't apply to the guys (for example I had to ask whether it'd be o.k to wear my hair down in the mess, because its very long), but the 'personal' type questionsn are probably better posted in a PM (there's some strange people around on the internet!). I'd be happy to help with any others you have.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Just a few questions, what stuff shall i take e.g. essentials, i know the basics but any more info would be much appreciated!

Sgt Sezzle[/FONT]

Well, I was freezing, so your own duvet might not be a bad idea, or failing that a hot water bottle!! If neither are practical, give Cranwell a ring and tell them to turn their bloody heating up!! :rolleyes:
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
... and if you decide to head out bowling on one of the nights of your selection, perhaps you should be taking the 16 year hotly-contested career you're after a little more seriously

Besides, it's in the airmens' club! I'd take it easy in the bar too. Plenty of time to get pissed on the cheap once you've joined, rather than when you're trying to. Smell of beer on your interview and see how far you get.

I don't think anyone from my board had an alcoholic drink over the two nights. I suppose everyone knew how bad it would look so were happy not to bother. No-one went out either, in fact, some were a little unsociable, heading straight off to their rooms immediately after dinner!! :eek:
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Sgt Sezzle

Oh, and another thing;anyone on O2 might want to consider taking a different phone with them, because we couldn't get a signal from Cranwell on this network!! :rolleyes:
Blue_Wolf75
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Oh, and another thing;anyone on O2 might want to consider taking a different phone with them, because we couldn't get a signal from Cranwell on this network!! :rolleyes:
You can get a signal at Cranwell... as long as you stand within 4 foot of the big lampost just outside the Candidates Mess.

But yeah apart from that you're scuppered.
Sgt_Sezzle
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
its good to hear everything went so well Nikki, welcome back! cant belive you passed all branches! thats great, and you didn't even have to :p:. So you met Nick then?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Wolf75)
You can get a signal at Cranwell... as long as you stand within 4 foot of the big lampost just outside the Candidates Mess.

But yeah apart from that you're scuppered.

I wish someone had told me that before I went!! I'd arranged for people to call me and they obviously couldn't get through so must have thought I was ignoring them (I wasn't honestly)!!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
its good to hear everything went so well Nikki, welcome back! cant belive you passed all branches! thats great, and you didn't even have to :p:. So you met Nick then?
Yeah, I did meet him. Sorry to hear things didn't go so well for him!!

Good luck with yours on the 20th.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
O2, Orange... cellphones in general! Welcome to RAF Stations! Some areas are better for some networks than others.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
O2, Orange... cellphones in general! Welcome to RAF Stations! Some areas are better for some networks than others.

Guess it's something I'd better get used to then!! :rolleyes: Hopefully, the speed of advances in technology will see things improved by the time I get there!!
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
No, not what I was referring to. As a pilot, you have to be British from birth; due to some issues involving working with the RAF. Whether or not that's extended across other officer branches I'm unsure.
Not quite true. Recently, a lot of kiwis crossed over from the RNZAF when they scrapped all of their fast jets. In addition, there are examples of ex RAAF F111 WSOs cross over to tonkas. And I know it's slightly different, but we have plenty of exchange officers who have served with us out in the gulf. But you're right in that the yanks, let's say, work much closer with brits than others, so sometimes our guests/crossovers have to close their ears to some bits!
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hey, i was pondering if the Royal Airforce still accepts commonwealth applicants. Anyone know if that policy changed too last November?
So yes, the RAF does still accept commonwealth applicants, and I think canadians/aussies/kiwis are particularly employable in most trades in terms of the commonwealth.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Not quite true. Recently, a lot of kiwis crossed over from the RNZAF when they scrapped all of their fast jets. In addition, there are examples of ex RAAF F111 WSOs cross over to tonkas. And I know it's slightly different, but we have plenty of exchange officers who have served with us out in the gulf. But you're right in that the yanks, let's say, work much closer with brits than others, so sometimes our guests/crossovers have to close their ears to some bits!
All the Commonwealth guys at Linton had their ears bent about it. It's not a case of throwing out all the Commonwealth guys already in training or on the front line (like the ex-RNZAF Combat Wing guys), but more a case of not recruiting any more.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, imagine. Look, if you don't want to join, that's fine, but if you're really interested, it's certainly no more than $3 a minute and wouldn't take long to sort it out. What's it worth?
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, I've just got back and am knackered! There were around 30 people on my board, with almost all going for pilot, and just one other guy going for med officer.
Good going Nikki, glad you done well
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Good going Nikki, glad you done well

'Done well' is relative though. I may have done o.k, but others going over the next few weeks may do far better. Given that this is a competitive process, I may not do well in comparison, so I'll just have to wait and see what happens!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (111)
14.19%
Excited (75)
9.59%
Worried (148)
18.93%
Terrified (181)
23.15%
Meh (50)
6.39%
Confused (22)
2.81%
Putting on a brave face (94)
12.02%
Impatient (101)
12.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise