RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Scorg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
'Done well' is relative though. I may have done o.k, but others going over the next few weeks may do far better. Given that this is a competitive process, I may not do well in comparison, so I'll just have to wait and see what happens!!
Well that is true, but then, got to keep a positive outlook as well(I know this could be dificault if youve got 101 thoughts in your head over what youve done, what you could of done and so on).
Is there a time frame set for when you will hear anything back ?

Just a question about the interview, when asked about the aircraft and the weapons, what did they ask you?
And did they ask you about the roll your looking at as well?
ravnos
Report 13 years ago
Hi all.

Just a quick question. If you are unsuccessful at the RAF selection you have to wait a year to re-apply back to the raf right? Does this mean you have to wait a year to re apply to any force or could you proceed and apply straight to the army if unsuccessful in the raf??
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ravnos)
Does this mean you have to wait a year to re apply to any force or could you proceed and apply straight to the army if unsuccessful in the raf??
Well, you could do, but the Army's first question would be "why were we your second choice?" They'd question your commitment to an Army career if you've just come straight from an attempt to join the RAF.

Also, if the RAF say you're not quite cut out to be an officer, the Army will have to take that on board. If the RAF say you need to grow up a bit, or do some more stuff with your life, why would you pass the Army's selection?
ravnos
Report 13 years ago
I understnad what you are saying. Was just a hard decision because the branch in the RAF is just as applealing to me as the simular branch in the army, and they cannot process aplications to different forces at the same time.
canuck
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
Try CFB Suffield, AB. I'm not sure where Port McNeil is with respect to Calgary, but if you can get in touch with Suffield there are a lot of British Service personnel there who may be able to steer you in the right direction.

PM me if you want more details.

Well, its over 1500 km away. I know where suffield is, its where British forces train, and its a former British chemical testing facility. If you actaully knew what happened there during WW2, its pretty shocking.

I'm asking you guys because its frugal in costs and its more conveniant
Danny_AQA
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by canuck)
Well, its over 1500 km away. I know where suffield is, its where British forces train, and its a former British chemical testing facility. If you actaully knew what happened there during WW2, its pretty shocking.

the cost of learning to fly is about £5000 for a ppl
another £2000 for a multi engine rating
a further £4000 for a night rating
and about £35,000 for a cpl/Frozen ATPL
hayelz81
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ricurtis)
I am right at the start of my process to *hopefully* join the RAF (I want to join as a weapons systems officer), but reading this thread raises some questions.
I have my initial 3 hour presentation at AFCO on the 17th, so I know I have a long way to go yet... Any tips for the presentation ? I guess it is just a case of turn up smartly dressed and take a many notes as possible ???? Are we even allowed to take notes ?
Definitely wear a suit. They look for that even at this stage. You are expected to take notes 0- altho they provide a pad and pen, would look great if you have your own. Usual stuff about smiling, being polite turning up early etc! And DO talk to others in the waiting room with you. LOTS and LOTS - they are watching your interaction with others right from the start.
Goodluck - get to know your planes before hand so you can answer the questions in recognising the photos.
Hope it goes well, Hayley
hayelz81
Report 13 years ago
I had my filter on 1 Dec - passed with flying colours, and received confirmation that my forms had got to Cranwell on 16 December. Since then I have heard nothing from them - when are the next selections at OASC? Just so I have an idea.
And if they didnt like me, when would I hear from them? This waiting is killing me!
Just a short question - whats the format for womens sit ups and press ups?
Thanks!
hayley
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Originally Posted by canuck

(Original post by Danny_AQA)
and the relevance of this posting is... ?
ricurtis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by hayelz81)
Goodluck - get to know your planes before hand so you can answer the questions in recognising the photos.
Hope it goes well, Hayley
Thanks for the advice.. one question though... The staff at AFCO led me to believe that the 3 hour presentation was just a presentation. What kind of questions can I expect to be asked at the presentation ?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hey guys. Just back from a few days on base and may have my motion sickness problem sorted now. Anyone fly today? Bloody wind nearly tipped us at takeoff and almost diverted. Not something I would like to repeat in a Grob!

Nikki- well done, glad to here everything went well for you!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
For a moment there I thought this was an RAF thread. How silly of me. :rolleyes:
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ricurtis)
Thanks for the advice.. one question though... The staff at AFCO led me to believe that the 3 hour presentation was just a presentation. What kind of questions can I expect to be asked at the presentation ?
The presentation is a chance for you to ask questions and learn something. You won't be asked anything directly though they may have a bit of fun and ask you an aircraft or two as a group. Dress smartly and take notes. If you are ready to arrange an interview let them know that on the day. And have fun when I had my presentation we all went out for lunch afterwards.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
and the relevance of this posting is... ?
Seconded.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
hey guys. Just back from a few days on base and may have my motion sickness problem sorted now. Anyone fly today?
On a Saturday? Do be brief. Any military mate worth his salt is sleeping off happy hour.....

Bloody wind nearly tipped us at takeoff and almost diverted. Not something I would like to repeat in a Grob!
Man up :P Nothing wrong with diverting!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)

Man up :P Nothing wrong with diverting!
depends if it is anywhere decent I suppose!
aboyall
Report 13 years ago
Hi. I'm new here, but I just want to ask a couple of q's about the RAF and careers; 1) What are their views on Laser Eye treatment? and 2) Are Pilots (Officers) the only people that fly the planes, ever, because I heard that some ground engineers fly the planes to test them etc...

Thanks,

Alex Boyall
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hey guys. Just back from a few days on base and may have my motion sickness problem sorted now. Anyone fly today? Bloody wind nearly tipped us at takeoff and almost diverted. Not something I would like to repeat in a Grob!
Nice! no more curdled dinner

Nikki- well done, glad to here everything went well for you!
Eek!! careful, nikki told me off for saying something along those lines
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The presentation is a chance for you to ask questions and learn something. You won't be asked anything directly though they may have a bit of fun and ask you an aircraft or two as a group. Dress smartly and take notes. If you are ready to arrange an interview let them know that on the day. And have fun when I had my presentation we all went out for lunch afterwards.
Went out for lunch with the people that went to the presentation with you?
Got the feeling everyone leaving the dundee afco will be wanting out of dundee asap, though it would be a plesent suprise if everyone did want to grab lunch
canuck
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

Christ, its seems my question will never be answered
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (3)
42.86%
No - I got the required grades (3)
42.86%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads