RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Sofa King
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wow, long thread...

anyone know if the RAF give university bursaries for potenial law students?
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by canuck)
I'm asking you guys because its frugal in costs and its more conveniant
I'm not sure that really was the correct response. If you really want to pursue a career in the RAF then I'm sure that buying an international phone card ($20 gives you about an hour and a half, as I recall), and staying up a little later at night to offset the time difference wouldn't be too much of a hardship.

I appreciate it's more convenient to ask on here, but if nobody has given you an answer, then it shows that nobody HAS a definitive answer. I'm not going to bust a gut hunting around the AFCOs and websites to find your answer for you just because it's "more convenient", and I'm pretty certain that nobody else on this thread would be overkeen at the prospect either.

Sorry if this sounds offensive, but sometimes you just need to get off your arse and do it yourself... the kind of drive and determination they look for in a budding officer.
peegee
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by aboyall)
Hi. I'm new here, but I just want to ask a couple of q's about the RAF and careers; 1) What are their views on Laser Eye treatment? and 2) Are Pilots (Officers) the only people that fly the planes, ever, because I heard that some ground engineers fly the planes to test them etc...

Thanks,

Alex Boyall
1) Laser treatment is a no-no for flying at the moment, im reliably told thats not the case for the ground branches, but it is for the flying branches. 2) In the RAF and Royal Navy, all pilots are officers, and in the army there are a number of SNCO pilots - however, the hoops you have to get through to fly as an army NCO are very very very hard. If there are EngO's flying, then i havent seen it.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sofa King)
wow, long thread...

In short; yes. I don't know anything else about it though, sorry.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Went out for lunch with the people that went to the presentation with you?
Got the feeling everyone leaving the dundee afco will be wanting out of dundee asap, though it would be a plesent suprise if everyone did want to grab lunch
yeah it was nice, I never saw them again but nice all the same.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Nice! no more curdled dinner
well hopefully! Last two sorties with no sickness! Though I would be hesistant to mention it anymore as I went to speak to a SMO who said that if I dont get it sorted sharpish I can forget flying. Apparently with the type I have the desensitising course would more than likely do nothing for me.
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
well hopefully! Last two sorties with no sickness! Though I would be hesistant to mention it anymore as I went to speak to a SMO who said that if I dont get it sorted sharpish I can forget flying. Apparently with the type I have the desensitising course would more than likely do nothing for me.
Ok, thats two so far, lets hope thats it kept in check now and it doesnt come to the worst.
I never realised they had different types :eek:
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Eek!! careful, nikki told me off for saying something along those lines

Just pointing out that there's a difference between someone saying "Well done, glad everything went well' and "Glad you done well" But thanks for your vote of confidence anyway.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by canuck)
Christ, its seems my question will never be answered

Hardly surprising with that attitude:rolleyes:
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
Sorry if this sounds offensive, but sometimes you just need to get off your arse and do it yourself... the kind of drive and determination they look for in a budding officer.

Exactly :rolleyes:
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wow, long thread...

Have you looked on www.rafcareers.co.uk I'm pretty sure they do.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Ok, thats two so far, lets hope thats it kept in check now and it doesnt come to the worst.
I never realised they had different types :eek:
yes, you know what medics are like :rolleyes: Even the slightest of motion is enough to make me ill. I wonder if the UAS will pay for a trip to Alten towers to conduct a DIY desensitising course
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm pretty sure they still give sponsorship for everything other than PEdOs.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by peegee)
If there are EngO's flying, then i havent seen it.
None deliberately, and none accidentally since an incident at Lyneham involving a Lightning. Only people with wings get to shake the pole around.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Though I would be hesistant to mention it anymore as I went to speak to a SMO who said that if I dont get it sorted sharpish I can forget flying.
Err... integrity? When the auth asks if you're fit to fly I highly recommend telling the truth. What's worse; getting chopped, or stacking it and killing yourself because you've wound up too sick to stay in control? If sickness causes distraction, it's dangerous. If it doesn't, man up and get on with it

Apparently with the type I have the desensitising course would more than likely do nothing for me.
What type would that be? I know some medics who'd be interested in that opinion of their desens course! It should work for anything which causes nausea relating to motion.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hey guys. Just back from a few days on base and may have my motion sickness problem sorted now.

What med are you on?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just found out that if I get accepted I won't be able to go to RAF Gibraltar in the summer,as it clashes with the Grantown-on-Spey course. Oh well, I suppose I can always rearrange the visit to Gib for next year.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Err... integrity? When the auth asks if you're fit to fly I highly recommend telling the truth. What's worse; getting chopped, or stacking it and killing yourself because you've wound up too sick to stay in control? If sickness causes distraction, it's dangerous. If it doesn't, man up and get on with it

What type would that be? I know some medics who'd be interested in that opinion of their desens course! It should work for anything which causes nausea relating to motion.
I said hesistant. I would just wait until it got bad rather than mentioning when its managable.

and she said that if sickness tablets wouldn't work for me then the course more than likely wouldn't seeing as I get motion sickness very easily. Something like a 5 minute bus ride up my road is enough to turn my stomach. But she said its also a good sign that I have made progress with sorties, before I could only go for 20mins now I can get up to 45mins.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
What med are you on?
just some quells over the counter stuff that she gave me. Nothing fancy. I just needed a perscription to say I could fly with it while an instructor is present.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I said hesistant. I would just wait until it got bad rather than mentioning when its managable.
Good. Exposure makes the biggest difference; just fly more! Carry a handful of sickbags and volunteer for SCT etc etc. It's alright if you feel a little queasy when you're learning climbing and descending, but I should imagine you don't want it during your first solo or spin-aeros check.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.91%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (326)
63.55%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.68%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise