BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Good. Exposure makes the biggest difference; just fly more! Carry a handful of sickbags and volunteer for SCT etc etc. It's alright if you feel a little queasy when you're learning climbing and descending, but I should imagine you don't want it during your first solo or spin-aeros check.
thanks for the advice. I'm looking to fly with some of the AEF instructors so that I can fly while it doesn't interrupt my exercises. I have to say I am dreading the spin exercises. I'm on S&L which is probably why I haven't been ill still feel proud though!
sleepy student
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
thanks for the advice. I'm looking to fly with some of the AEF instructors so that I can fly while it doesn't interrupt my exercises. I have to say I am dreading the spin exercises. I'm on S&L which is probably why I haven't been ill still feel proud though!
Not read much of the above but you can take air sickness pills you know. Quells I think are the best. A couple of people I know take them and they seem to do the trick. Also try to build up your g tolerance. A loop on every flight will help.
One thing that I sore on the TV once was a US navy pilot who had suffered from motion sickness. He cured himself by sitting on a desk chair and spinning around on it for an hour every day.
Not sure if I would fancy doing that but if you do, don't forget your sick bag.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sleepy student)
Not read much of the above but you can take air sickness pills you know. Quells I think are the best. A couple of people I know take them and they seem to do the trick. Also try to build up your g tolerance. A loop on every flight will help.
One thing that I sore on the TV once was a US navy pilot who had suffered from motion sickness. He cured himself by sitting on a desk chair and spinning around on it for an hour every day.
Not sure if I would fancy doing that but if you do, don't forget your sick bag.

You can't take pills without a perscription, even over the counter stuff as it affects your preformance. I went to an M.O for it and was told I could use quells. Also, doing loops helps but I can't just do them everytime I go up as I'm supposed to be doing work, hence my problem. My G tolerence stands at 2 1/2 at the moment, which may seem like nothing but is mammoth to me from 2 weeks ago when I could only take 1 1/4. So I may go up with some AEF pilots who at the moment seem very keen to see who can make me the sickest! I have been doing balance exercises, like standing up with my eyes closed on one leg. Makes me look like a muppet but I'll try anything if it may help!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
1 1/4? Surely you pull more than that by jumping?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
1 1/4? Surely you pull more than that by jumping?
more than likely! Thats what it was. Im such a whoosy :rolleyes:
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You can't take pills without a perscription, even over the counter stuff as it affects your preformance. I went to an M.O for it and was told I could use quells. Also, doing loops helps but I can't just do them everytime I go up as I'm supposed to be doing work, hence my problem. My G tolerence stands at 2 1/2 at the moment, which may seem like nothing but is mammoth to me from 2 weeks ago when I could only take 1 1/4. So I may go up with some AEF pilots who at the moment seem very keen to see who can make me the sickest! I have been doing balance exercises, like standing up with my eyes closed on one leg. Makes me look like a muppet but I'll try anything if it may help!

Have a look on here http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/907367055.html

and if doesn't help you might want to consider this site http://www.chuckiebags.com/ :p:

Ginger's supposed to be very good as a natural remedy.
Chewy
Badges: 1
Report 15 years ago
Hey people, im new here and this is my first post :P

i also (fingers crossed) want to try and apply as a pilot in the RAF, I have been through Sea Cadets (would have joined Air Cadets but its way to far for me to get to and i didnt have any contacts to join at the time) Well my father was in royal signals in the army and i understand all the disciplin malarky and that... nuff said lol...

For work experience i was lucky to spend a couple of weeks up at RAF Wyton which is just up the road from me and is home to students who attend the UAS: ULAS and CUAS. I got to fly and everything and was really fun, also some of the guys i met where a great laugh and told me briefly about UAS.

currently my career options have gone haywire, i have myself to blame on some parts but the main blame is the head of my Sixthform. I was wanting to take ICT 12 UNIT and physics for my As etc and i was told at my options day etc that they would be fine and would not clash, i start off the year and guess what? they clash and the teachers have been no help what so ever. So i am only going to achieve 2 A levels.. well a qualification thats equal to 2 A levels. I was hoping to get a scholorship with the RAF and while at uni try and get into UAS and at the mean time do a course in something to do with computer graphics (3D modelling/animation (thats another story lol...)...)...

well im pretty stuck on what to do and i am looking for advice.. i am going to go to my local connexions down town but i feel they kno naff all to be honest but ill see what they have to say.

so if anyone can give me some advice on what they think of my situation etc? i dont mind giving more information.. i just didnt want to write loads and bore the hell out of ppl reading this :P

anyhow cheers and thanks in advance
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chewy)
Hey people, im new here and this is my first post :P

i also (fingers crossed) want to try and apply as a pilot in the RAF, I have been through Sea Cadets (would have joined Air Cadets but its way to far for me to get to and i didnt have any contacts to join at the time) Well my father was in royal signals in the army and i understand all the disciplin malarky and that... nuff said lol...

For work experience i was lucky to spend a couple of weeks up at RAF Wyton which is just up the road from me and is home to students who attend the UAS: ULAS and CUAS. I got to fly and everything and was really fun, also some of the guys i met where a great laugh and told me briefly about UAS.

currently my career options have gone haywire, i have myself to blame on some parts but the main blame is the head of my Sixthform. I was wanting to take ICT 12 UNIT and physics for my As etc and i was told at my options day etc that they would be fine and would not clash, i start off the year and guess what? they clash and the teachers have been no help what so ever. So i am only going to achieve 2 A levels.. well a qualification thats equal to 2 A levels. I was hoping to get a scholorship with the RAF and while at uni try and get into UAS and at the mean time do a course in something to do with computer graphics (3D modelling/animation (thats another story lol...)...)...

well im pretty stuck on what to do and i am looking for advice.. i am going to go to my local connexions down town but i feel they kno naff all to be honest but ill see what they have to say.

so if anyone can give me some advice on what they think of my situation etc? i dont mind giving more information.. i just didnt want to write loads and bore the hell out of ppl reading this :P

anyhow cheers and thanks in advance
What about applying to college? You can do a couple of A levels there and take a year out that way. You could also get involved in some sports and even volunteer with the ATC if you are too old to join. This way you will have another year to build up your skills and really promote yourself to the RAF. Then apply for a university sponsership. Don't be disheartened if you don't get it, you can still join a UAS and fly.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Have a look on here http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/907367055.html

and if doesn't help you might want to consider this site http://www.chuckiebags.com/ :p:

Ginger's supposed to be very good as a natural remedy.
thanks nikki! Will definatly try the ginger even though I hate the stuff. Tastes awful!

lol at the second link! thanks for the thought
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I wonder if the UAS will pay for a trip to Alten towers to conduct a DIY desensitising course
That may not be as silly as it sounds
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
That may not be as silly as it sounds
and just remember to take some chuckiebags with you
rich_greeny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i'm a bit slow on these forums, but in response to Ten-Tors, we're in training for it at our uas atm. But the team still has to be selected.

Also what was being said about pilot bursars and 6fs's having to go back and do full oasc again, i'm just glad i'm an engineering bursar :P
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rich_greeny)
i'm a bit slow on these forums, but in response to Ten-Tors, we're in training for it at our uas atm. But the team still has to be selected.

Also what was being said about pilot bursars and 6fs's having to go back and do full oasc again, i'm just glad i'm an engineering bursar :P
I may see you on the course then! I will enjoy the friendly competition
hayelz81
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ricurtis)
Thanks for the advice.. one question though... The staff at AFCO led me to believe that the 3 hour presentation was just a presentation. What kind of questions can I expect to be asked at the presentation ?
oh, yes, it is just a presentation. With lots of info! They will show pics of the main aircraft grouped into, eg, jets, propeller and rotary aircraft, and ask for people to shout out (with hands up) for the answers. I didnt know any at that point! It doesnt *really* matter, but obviously as good an impression you can make early on is only as bonus. Dont worry about it - I really enjoyed it, and try to think of a question to ask (privately) at the end - you might end up getting into a general chat with the RAF staff you talk to, whic is always good to find out more info.
As i said, dont worry. Enjoy it!
Hayley
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Also, doing loops helps but I can't just do them everytime I go up as I'm supposed to be doing work, hence my problem. My G tolerence stands at 2 1/2 at the moment
Hang on, that's not your G tolerance; unless you're dropping unconscious at 2.5G. If it's solely G-induced that's rather bizarre; normally it's raw motion, yawing, flying IMC etc that gets people the most. Rotation's generally a lot worse than G, as G tends to keep everything in the stomach in one place.

Also, rubbish; there's enough time for a loop on every flight!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chewy)
(would have joined Air Cadets but its way to far for me to get to and i didnt have any contacts to join at the time)
Get that excuse brushed up for your AFCO

(Original post by Chewy)
I was wanting to take ICT 12 UNIT and physics for my As etc and i was told at my options day etc that they would be fine and would not clash, i start off the year and guess what? they clash and the teachers have been no help what so ever. So i am only going to achieve 2 A levels.. well a qualification thats equal to 2 A levels.
Confusing. Why didn't you move your third choice to another subject? I find it tricky to believe that an entire school's staff would just stiff you with 2 A levels when you wanted 3. What did you do to try and sort it?

I've seen candidates at OASC who had 2 A levels who were fine; but there were also a lot of sob stories like the above which, under investigation, turned out to be a bit rubbish. Don't expect any sympathy; if you could do 3 A levels, you should be doing 3; if your school won't let you, you should be dealing with them rather than worrying about how it'll look on a job application!

(Original post by Chewy)

so if anyone can give me some advice on what they think of my situation etc?
I must admit I have no idea what you're actually asking. If you want to join the RAF, then go do it; an AFCO is naturally the place to go for formal advice, and if you want to know about 6th form or university sponsorship ask away here. If you want to know about uni courses with 2 A levels, then ask on the appropriate forum. What do you want?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chewy)
currently my career options have gone haywire, i have myself to blame on some parts but the main blame is the head of my Sixthform. I was wanting to take ICT 12 UNIT and physics for my As etc and i was told at my options day etc that they would be fine and would not clash, i start off the year and guess what? they clash and the teachers have been no help what so ever. So i am only going to achieve 2 A levels.. well a qualification thats equal to 2 A levels.

Wouldn't one 12 unit and one AS only give you one and a half A levels, or are you doing some other subjects besides these?
Chewy
Report 15 years ago
i am taking 12 unit ICT AVCE mate it is equal to 4 A/S levels = 2 A Levels.

I dont feel strong enough to take any other subjects because i kno i would not do well in them and ones that i wanted to like Art i couldnt take because i enver took at at GCSE level and they wanted me to show them what i could do via old work etc, but the only art i have is computer graphic art etc.

Wzz i appreciate you trying to help but i think you where slightly harsh... it is no sob story... i also stated i have myself to blame but thats only in some parts of the situation i am in, but when you are told that everything will work out fine and then at the last minute they say no it wont... its too much trouble to get out of it then u are pretty much screwed.

If i got all the current students taken ICT 12 unit they will tell you how bad the teaching is you would understand that our sixth form has become really really crap and the teachers dont want to kno. I agree that we are suppose to be doing a lot through initiative etc and learn ourself. They have also spread the ICT 12 unit between the 2 years rather than doing the first 6 units 1 year and then the next 6 the enxt year... I was wanting to go to Longsroad which is a SixthForm college but would mean a waste of several months at the time i found out about it all.

I am just finding it hard on what i should do because i cant leave SixthForm now otherwise ill loose all my current work etc because they have split it over 2 years. The college accross the road from the school which is a regional college is a load of crap and is where all the school drop outs go... plus there are no courses i wish to do...

anyhow thanks for the replies
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE]
(Original post by Chewy)
i am taking 12 unit ICT AVCE mate it is equal to 4 A/S levels = 2 A Levels.

Have you checked whether the RAF consider this as the equivalent of 2 A levels? A lot of places won't take 2 AS levels as 1 A level.

Wzz i appreciate you trying to help but i think you where slightly harsh... it is no sob story... i also stated i have myself to blame but thats only in some parts of the situation i am in, but when you are told that everything will work out fine and then at the last minute they say no it wont... its too much trouble to get out of it then u are pretty much screwed.
Yeah, well sometimes reality can be a bit harsh! You've even said yourself that you were partly to blame. I'm currently doing AS level, and am pretty sure that anyone wanting to change courses within a few weeks of starting would have been able to do so relatively easily. Why have you waited until you're five months into the course? Why couldn't you sort it out earlier?

I am just finding it hard on what i should do because i cant leave SixthForm now otherwise ill loose all my current work etc because they have split it over 2 years. The college accross the road from the school which is a regional college is a load of crap and is where all the school drop outs go... plus there are no courses i wish to do...
Is it better to lose a year, or carry on with something that's not going to be a great deal of use to you? If your nearest College is crap, find another one out of area; mine is 20 miles away, and I make the effort because it's an excellent college!!

I think Wzz is right;you need to stop making excuses and start making things happen!!
Chewy
Report 15 years ago
uhm there is no such thing as A levels no more.. 2 A's = 1 A level...

i couldnt choose other subjects as ICT was the only one that i could do and would give me more grades and i would achieved higher in... seriously if u really think i am making excuses ill invite you all over and let you join in at our sixthform mate. I dont want to sound harsh in saying will shut the hell up that im making excuses cuz i dont want to make myself look a rite ******... seriously though if you knew the whole situation rather than briefly what ive wrote you would think otherwise... i have many other problems atm which i wont write about cuz i have valid reasons for...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (86)
27.48%
No (227)
72.52%

Watched Threads