BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chewy)
i am taking 12 unit ICT AVCE mate it is equal to 4 A/S levels = 2 A Levels.

I dont feel strong enough to take any other subjects because i kno i would not do well in them and ones that i wanted to like Art i couldnt take because i enver took at at GCSE level and they wanted me to show them what i could do via old work etc, but the only art i have is computer graphic art etc.

Wzz i appreciate you trying to help but i think you where slightly harsh... it is no sob story... i also stated i have myself to blame but thats only in some parts of the situation i am in, but when you are told that everything will work out fine and then at the last minute they say no it wont... its too much trouble to get out of it then u are pretty much screwed.

If i got all the current students taken ICT 12 unit they will tell you how bad the teaching is you would understand that our sixth form has become really really crap and the teachers dont want to kno. I agree that we are suppose to be doing a lot through initiative etc and learn ourself. They have also spread the ICT 12 unit between the 2 years rather than doing the first 6 units 1 year and then the next 6 the enxt year... I was wanting to go to Longsroad which is a SixthForm college but would mean a waste of several months at the time i found out about it all.

I am just finding it hard on what i should do because i cant leave SixthForm now otherwise ill loose all my current work etc because they have split it over 2 years. The college accross the road from the school which is a regional college is a load of crap and is where all the school drop outs go... plus there are no courses i wish to do...

anyhow thanks for the replies
did you even read my post about going to college :rolleyes:
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chewy)
Wzz i appreciate you trying to help but i think you where slightly harsh... it is no sob story... i also stated i have myself to blame but thats only in some parts of the situation i am in, but when you are told that everything will work out fine and then at the last minute they say no it wont... its too much trouble to get out of it then u are pretty much screwed.
Well, I worked for a while recruiting people, so it's people harsher than me who'll be interviewing you.

The line "it's too much trouble to get out of it" would be something I'd home in on during an interview. How much do you care about your education and future career if that's the case?

Whenever people post things here I do tend to be slightly on the harsh side; but only so people don't moan when military interviewers are worse
Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chewy)
uhm there is no such thing as A levels no more.. 2 A's = 1 A level...

If there's no such thing as A levels anymore, you'd best inform UCAS and the universities because they're mistakenly still asking students to achieve them as entrance requirements!! :rolleyes: And 2 A's at AS level would normally be accepted as 1 A level for most, but by no mean all, university courses.

i couldnt choose other subjects as ICT was the only one that i could do and would give me more grades and i would achieved higher in... seriously if u really think i am making excuses ill invite you all over and let you join in at our sixthform mate. I dont want to sound harsh in saying will shut the hell up that im making excuses cuz i dont want to make myself look a rite ******... seriously though if you knew the whole situation rather than briefly what ive wrote you would think otherwise... i have many other problems atm which i wont write about cuz i have valid reasons for...

Well of course you had the option to do others and chose not to, for whatever reasons. Again, I'd say look at whether AVCE is seen as equivalent to A levels in whatever course you want to do, or within the RAF, as not all accept it as equal.

It's not me you need to convince, it's the RAF. If things aren't working out where you are, look at what you can do to change it.

Look at the minimum qualifiactions you need for the RAF branch you're interested in and visit your local connexions adviser to see how they can help you achieve them. You should also consider joining the ATC, or a similar youth organisation; even if that means a lot of effort.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chewy)
uhm there is no such thing as A levels no more.. 2 A's = 1 A level...
There're no such thing as A levels?

(Original post by Chewy)
seriously if u really think i am making excuses ill invite you all over and let you join in at our sixthform mate. I dont want to sound harsh in saying will shut the hell up that im making excuses cuz i dont want to make myself look a rite ******... seriously though if you knew the whole situation rather than briefly what ive wrote you would think otherwise... i have many other problems atm which i wont write about cuz i have valid reasons for...
Alright, but that's not the best attitude to take, is it? If you have lots of problems affecting your education then you can't expect objective advice on this sort of thing if you only tell us half the picture. At the end of the day, what you've given so far is a sob story with a few excuses. What would you tell an AFCO CO? "Sorry I don't have quite the right qualifications, but mate, you should have seen my sixth form?"

Do an extra year. Move colleges. Do an entirely new set of A levels. Do a degree with a foundation year. Demand that your school board helps for screwing with your education and future. Go to night school. Do distance learning. Catch up through the OU.

A military interviewer's interested in what you've done with the **** and challenges life throws at you; not the reasons you couldn't circumvent them.
Chewy
Badges: 1
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Alright, but that's not the best attitude to take, is it? If you have lots of problems affecting your education then you can't expect objective advice on this sort of thing if you only tell us half the picture. At the end of the day, what you've given so far is a sob story with a few excuses. What would you tell an AFCO CO? "Sorry I don't have quite the right qualifications, but mate, you should have seen my sixth form?"

Do an extra year. Move colleges. Do an entirely new set of A levels. Do a degree with a foundation year. Demand that your school board helps for screwing with your education and future. Go to night school. Do distance learning. Catch up through the OU.

A military interviewer's interested in what you've done with the **** and challenges life throws at you; not the reasons you couldn't circumvent them.
now that was what i was after

sorry i sound a pain in the arse or whateva lol.. just hard to word it etc... anyhow... im still around and will no doubt post more information on how things go at a later date...

thanks
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I can probably relate to this, having never felt I had it good at school either, taken down wrong paths, bad information given (im still bitter over the maths! grr)
But one thing sticks in my mind, I chose to do the NC units of Physics instead of the higher.
They said no problem, except on the first day of the new time table the physics teacher said, sorry no module, can either change subject or try the higher. Well I sucked at the higher really but after trying to hunt out other colleges that could do the NC module, the teachers finally capitulated and let me take the module within the higher class, so result!
Made a complete balls up of my higher computing, lack of support by the teacher really. but I couldn't care about that, managed to obtain an hnc in computing and a BA in Information Management, so more then made up for it now with IT quals (Novell 4 cna, win NT mce (both expired now)). Times on your side anyway and take whatever opportunities comes your way, im learning that one now(too involved with IT, didn't care for anything else).

Oh yeah, the Maths, having to do intermediate 2 maths due to whatever I done at 5th year at school expiring, handy that init (still bitter, grr)
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chewy)
now that was what i was after

sorry i sound a pain in the arse or whateva lol.. just hard to word it etc... anyhow... im still around and will no doubt post more information on how things go at a later date...

thanks

Nevermind about my post then eh? And I don't know if you know you're doing it but coming across as 'oh life is so hard and I can't do anything about it' isn't the attitude to take. Everyone in life has their problems mate its the attitude you take to overcoming them that is important. You shouldn't let anything stand in the way of your career if you are truely passionate about it. If you think the school you are at isn't helping you, do as Wzz said and move schools. Ultimatly the school are unconcered with a sole student so its you who needs to take charge of your own life.

And for gods sake, join the cadets. When you go onto university you may want to join a university air squadron for whatever trade and being in the ATC gives you a very-small-but-still-there edge. Plus, Cranwell will ask why you didn't join if you had the chance to.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Whenever people post things here I do tend to be slightly on the harsh side; but only so people don't moan when military interviewers are worse
You, harsh? Never!! :p: A reality check now and again can't do people too much harm.
hayelz81
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
You, harsh? Never!! :p: A reality check now and again can't do people too much harm.
They are bound to give us a right grilling, so best to learn what kind of questions to expect now and have some answers prepared! Well done on your time at Cranwel, Nikki.
ricurtis
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just got back from the AFCO Presentation.
I was the only one to take a pen and paper (from what I saw) so that was a good thing. Made plenty of notes. I am a little dissapointed tho as I have now found out that I am not eligible to apply to the role I wanted I had hoped to apply for WSO but I was informed that the absolute earliest I would be able to start IOT (if I passed Cranwell OASC) would be November - and by then I will have hit 25 so will be too old ! My fault for leaving it too long but I am still a bit gutted. I am going to look at some of the other roles because I still really like the idea of a career with the RAF!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by valu)
Hi All....jsut got my OASC date...end of april...just wondering whether there was anyone in the Cardiff area who wanted to do some prep with me...

Text me

Val
Christ get your blody number off of here. Do you know how open this site is to anyone passing by? You can google that post for god sake. If you want to get in touch with people, get to know them first and send private messages to each other. Even then I wouldn't advise giving a number out over the internet to just anyone.
hayelz81
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ricurtis)
Just got back from the AFCO Presentation.
I was the only one to take a pen and paper (from what I saw) so that was a good thing. Made plenty of notes. I am a little dissapointed tho as I have now found out that I am not eligible to apply to the role I wanted I had hoped to apply for WSO but I was informed that the absolute earliest I would be able to start IOT (if I passed Cranwell OASC) would be November - and by then I will have hit 25 so will be too old ! My fault for leaving it too long but I am still a bit gutted. I am going to look at some of the other roles because I still really like the idea of a career with the RAF!
Sorry to hear about the age limit, but the age old question comes up - if you want to do that job (in the RAF) or ifyou want be in the RAF (and do that job). Subtle difference etc. I am sure your AFCO can talk through your options if you have a couple of other ideas as to where you;d like to go. Nice one about the pen and paper! If anything else, those little things just make you as a person feela bit more confident, even if the personnel weren't to notice.
Good luck anyways I am still waiting to hear from Cranwell...
Sgt_Sezzle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
I can probably relate to this, having never felt I had it good at school either, taken down wrong paths, bad information given (im still bitter over the maths! grr)
But one thing sticks in my mind, I chose to do the NC units of Physics instead of the higher.
They said no problem, except on the first day of the new time table the physics teacher said, sorry no module, can either change subject or try the higher. Well I sucked at the higher really but after trying to hunt out other colleges that could do the NC module, the teachers finally capitulated and let me take the module within the higher class, so result!
Made a complete balls up of my higher computing, lack of support by the teacher really. but I couldn't care about that, managed to obtain an hnc in computing and a BA in Information Management, so more then made up for it now with IT quals (Novell 4 cna, win NT mce (both expired now)). Times on your side anyway and take whatever opportunities comes your way, im learning that one now(too involved with IT, didn't care for anything else).

Oh yeah, the Maths, having to do intermediate 2 maths due to whatever I done at 5th year at school expiring, handy that init (still bitter, grr)
I can COMPLETELY sympathazie with you (excuse the spellings! I just blame it on me being Bi-lingual :rolleyes: )!

But anyway, yea, for some strange reason (when i was still more or less top of my class for maths) they moved me down a set just before my GCSE's and the teacher was usless! So i could only take the intermediate! I'm feeling very bitter too! becuase i'd love to do engineering, but now i cant!!

Another thing they messed up for me was my dutch GCSE..... they FORGOT (lol???) to give me my speaking test so i got a big fat ZERO for that section for 'absence'... which caused me to get a D#

I'll find a way to make them pay!! he he
valu
Report 15 years ago
"But anyway, yea, for some strange reason (when i was still more or less top of my class for maths) they moved me down a set just before my GCSE's and the teacher was usless! So i could only take the intermediate! I'm feeling very bitter too! becuase i'd love to do engineering, but now i cant!!"

What's stopping you retaking if you'd like to do engineering all that much...check out your local FE college...most do evening classes...
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hayelz81)
They are bound to give us a right grilling, so best to learn what kind of questions to expect now and have some answers prepared! Well done on your time at Cranwel, Nikki.

The interview wasn't too bad at all. I didn't get too much of a grilling, just on a couple of topics I'd mentioned in my current affairs;so don't be too worried about it. At the end of the day, if you don't know something, they're not out to embarrass or humiliate you, they'll just move on (as they did with my limited knowledge of aircaft).

And thanks;all depends on the competition over this next couple of weeks now!! Fingers crossed!
Sgt_Sezzle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by valu)
What's stopping you retaking if you'd like to do engineering all that much...check out your local FE college...most do evening classes...
Well it would mean me taking the GCSE again, and then taking AS/A level. I just dont think i'll have the time for any of this! especially evening classes... mb i dont want it that much, i mean the ATC is still a big part of my life too, as well as trying to get into the RAF and studying A levels... Your right but i think its too much for me.

Sarah
Sgt_Sezzle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
The interview wasn't too bad at all. I didn't get too much of a grilling, just on a couple of topics I'd mentioned in my current affairs;so don't be too worried about it. At the end of the day, if you don't know something, they're not out to embarrass or humiliate you, they'll just move on (as they did with my limited knowledge of aircaft).

And thanks;all depends on the competition over this next couple of weeks now!! Fingers crossed!
Hey Nikki what were your motivation questions like then?
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sgt_Sezzle)
I can COMPLETELY sympathazie with you (excuse the spellings! I just blame it on me being Bi-lingual :rolleyes: )!
no worries, I had to edit the post to correct a field of errors

But anyway, yea, for some strange reason (when i was still more or less top of my class for maths) they moved me down a set just before my GCSE's and the teacher was usless! So i could only take the intermediate! I'm feeling very bitter too! becuase i'd love to do engineering, but now i cant!!

Another thing they messed up for me was my dutch GCSE..... they FORGOT (lol???) to give me my speaking test so i got a big fat ZERO for that section for 'absence'... which caused me to get a D#

I'll find a way to make them pay!! he he
schools really do suck major donkey....
Its good ive got the time to spare to redo the maths or it may of proved difficult, also gives me extra time to do voluntary work and try some sporting stuff out
ricurtis
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hayelz81)
Sorry to hear about the age limit, but the age old question comes up - if you want to do that job (in the RAF) or ifyou want be in the RAF (and do that job). Subtle difference etc. I am sure your AFCO can talk through your options if you have a couple of other ideas as to where you;d like to go. Nice one about the pen and paper! If anything else, those little things just make you as a person feela bit more confident, even if the personnel weren't to notice.
Good luck anyways I am still waiting to hear from Cranwell...
I have a dilema now..... From the AFCO presentation, one thing that is obvious is that my age is completely against me.
I still want to join the RAF - but I also realise that i have to be realistic.. from the RAF's point of view, younger people will be better to them as they can be moulded more than someone like me.
I am just weighing up my options now.. I am thinking I might have more luck if I apply as N C Aircrew.
Just a big decision to make - while I would love to go in as an officer, I am less and less confident that I would make the grade. Anyway, I will post back here when I have made a decision.

I hope you hear back from cranwell soon - good luck to you, and also, good luck to everyone else on here in whichever role you apply for.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ricurtis)
I have a dilema now..... From the AFCO presentation, one thing that is obvious is that my age is completely against me.
I still want to join the RAF - but I also realise that i have to be realistic.. from the RAF's point of view, younger people will be better to them as they can be moulded more than someone like me.
I am just weighing up my options now.. I am thinking I might have more luck if I apply as N C Aircrew.
Just a big decision to make - while I would love to go in as an officer, I am less and less confident that I would make the grade. Anyway, I will post back here when I have made a decision.

I hope you hear back from cranwell soon - good luck to you, and also, good luck to everyone else on here in whichever role you apply for.
age against you? its not stopping myself which i'll be 25/ 26 when I apply, or the likes of Reme bod or locust builder who (and i'll apologise now if im wrong!) late 20's or early 30's who have already had a career as none commissioned staff.

Im going for admin officer, and that branch is open to anyone applying upto the age of 38, alot of branches are like that, dont rule yourself out, just keep going for it no matter what.
Its something you have to aim for first and formost, if settling for anything else you could always in the future be thinking, that could of been me if I persued it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads