Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Im going for admin officer, and that branch is open to anyone applying upto the age of 38, alot of branches are like that, dont rule yourself out, just keep going for it no matter what.

I can keep applying for the next 38 years!! Hopefully they'll get sick of me banging on the door and take pity on me :rolleyes:
Sgt_Sezzle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
just a quick question... where the OCU for the Tristar? and VC 10? and what is the squadron number?

trying to search but not getting very far!
ricurtis
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sgt_Sezzle)
just a quick question... where the OCU for the Tristar? and VC 10? and what is the squadron number?

trying to search but not getting very far!
From my "RAF Today" leaflet in the packup given to me yesterday, it looks like 10xVC10 at 10sqn RAF Brize Norton, 7xVC10 at 101 sqn RAF Brize Norton, and 1xVC10 at 1312 Flight on Falklands, and 216sqn RAF Brize Norton for Tristar...
ricurtis
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
age against you? its not stopping myself which i'll be 25/ 26 when I apply, or the likes of Reme bod or locust builder who (and i'll apologise now if im wrong!) late 20's or early 30's who have already had a career as none commissioned staff.

Im going for admin officer, and that branch is open to anyone applying upto the age of 38, alot of branches are like that, dont rule yourself out, just keep going for it no matter what.
Its something you have to aim for first and formost, if settling for anything else you could always in the future be thinking, that could of been me if I persued it.
As I said, I am just weighing up my options. I just got the impression from the presentation that the younger bunch have more chance...
I fully agree with your comment about thinking it could have been me... whats the saying "Better to regret things you have done, than live to regret things that you havent". I am not ruling anything out - just trying to step back and look at the wider picture... ultimately, RAF Officer is still one of my main goals...
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
age against you? its not stopping myself which i'll be 25/ 26 when I apply, or the likes of Reme bod or locust builder who (and i'll apologise now if im wrong!) late 20's or early 30's who have already had a career as none commissioned staff.
Late 20's ? I wish! try late late LATE 20's. (So late, my wife insists that I'm mid 30's, but what does she know?)

To quote a Sqn Ldr from Cranwell when the subject of age cropped up...

"If we only wanted younger entrants, why would we advertise for applicants up to the age of 39?".

She was referring to engineers, but it's the same for all branches. Perhaps the presentation in question was aimed at younger folk because that is indeed where the higher percentage of recruits lie - in the 18-23 age bracket. Don't forget that even if you join at 30, there's still a good 25 years before you're put out to pasture at the ripe old age of 55.
Sgt_Sezzle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ricurtis)
From my "RAF Today" leaflet in the packup given to me yesterday, it looks like 10xVC10 at 10sqn RAF Brize Norton, 7xVC10 at 101 sqn RAF Brize Norton, and 1xVC10 at 1312 Flight on Falklands, and 216sqn RAF Brize Norton for Tristar...
I'm sorry i meant just OCU's, i mean is it just me or are there actually no OCU's for the Tristar, VC-10 and C-17? Or am i missing a bit of a very big picture here? lol

i'm a little confuzzled atm...
ricurtis
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm sorry i meant just OCU's, i mean is it just me or are there actually no OCU's for the Tristar, VC-10 and C-17? Or am i missing a bit of a very big picture here? lol

Sorry - just my inability to read what you wrote originally
Cant answer your question tho !
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I was watcing a blast from the past the other day... the 80's version of Biggles. In the film there was a scene on the banks of the Thames where Biggles was about to fly a helicopter. When asked if he knew how to, he retorted "If you can fly a Sopwith camel, you can fly anything!"

That started my brain ticking over. If the MOD are trying to save millions, if not billions of pounds over the next decade, why waste money training all the RAF, Army and RN pilots to fly in fast jets and helicopters and such like.

Instead, why not get some bearded old bloke to knock up the plans for a Sopwith camel, and manufacture a couple of hundred or so. these could be used to train all the pilots, and once trained on these relics, they will be able to fly anything.

I'll write to my MP with this suggestion. (I wqon't mention the time travel stuff on the film cos that will be totally implausable!)

This post is sponsored by Jack Daniels and coke.
carrierlanding
Report 15 years ago

i think that they conduct the OCU for the aircraft within the squadron itself. sure like wzz or someone can give u a proper answer tho!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
I was watcing a blast from the past the other day... the 80's version of Biggles. In the film there was a scene on the banks of the Thames where Biggles was about to fly a helicopter. When asked if he knew how to, he retorted "If you can fly a Sopwith camel, you can fly anything!"

That started my brain ticking over. If the MOD are trying to save millions, if not billions of pounds over the next decade, why waste money training all the RAF, Army and RN pilots to fly in fast jets and helicopters and such like.

Instead, why not get some bearded old bloke to knock up the plans for a Sopwith camel, and manufacture a couple of hundred or so. these could be used to train all the pilots, and once trained on these relics, they will be able to fly anything.

I'll write to my MP with this suggestion. (I wqon't mention the time travel stuff on the film cos that will be totally implausable!)

LOL Excellent idea, you should get onto it right away.Just how many Jack Daniels have you had???
hayelz81
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
LOL Excellent idea, you should get onto it right away.Just how many Jack Daniels have you had???
Brandish me if I am being facecious - its all very well us saving money with Sopwith Camels, resurrecting veteranpilots, but isnt the whole idea about keepin up with current threats - ie, what the rest of the world may throw at us?!?!...

hayley
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I'd think you'd need a few JD and Coke's to be able to watch that film
my god, where did you find that that film
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hayelz81)
Brandish me if I am being facecious - its all very well us saving money with Sopwith Camels, resurrecting veteranpilots, but isnt the whole idea about keepin up with current threats - ie, what the rest of the world may throw at us?!?!...

hayley
thats ok, can just brainwash the pilots to think everyone they are after is a Baron, has a red aircraft and a german logo on its side and no, I dont mean Michael schumacher
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Late 20's ? I wish! try late late LATE 20's. (So late, my wife insists that I'm mid 30's, but what does she know?)
oo er

To quote a Sqn Ldr from Cranwell when the subject of age cropped up...

"If we only wanted younger entrants, why would we advertise for applicants up to the age of 39?".

She was referring to engineers, but it's the same for all branches. Perhaps the presentation in question was aimed at younger folk because that is indeed where the higher percentage of recruits lie - in the 18-23 age bracket. Don't forget that even if you join at 30, there's still a good 25 years before you're put out to pasture at the ripe old age of 55.
yup, my sentements there too.
Sqn Ldr I chatted with at Leuchers openday said, most trades are fine up until 38, your 24, so time is definetly on yourside, just work on expanding on your interests and so forth.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

i'd asume they would all be at Braze since thats the only place C17's are stationed for one and the majority of nimrods, vc10's and tristars
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ricurtis)
I am just weighing up my options now.. I am thinking I might have more luck if I apply as N C Aircrew.
Just a big decision to make - while I would love to go in as an officer, I am less and less confident that I would make the grade. Anyway, I will post back here when I have made a decision.
They're not interested in "moulding" people; they have certain qualities they like, but they're not trying to produce clones. We're a service built on personality, being the cheeky young junior service

Apply for what you want to do. Don't pre-select yourself, leave it to the professionals!! They'll ask you in an interview as a pilot candidate what a). you'd do if unsuccessful (I'd consider NCA, sir!) and b). you think of NCA (I'd definately consider it if I didn't make the grade as an officer candidate sir; but I want to stretch myself, and aim as high as I can to begin with!).

If you want to be a pilot, apply as a pilot, and tell them you'd consider WSO and NC WSOp as 2nd and 3rd choices.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by carrierlanding)
i think that they conduct the OCU for the aircraft within the squadron itself. sure like wzz or someone can give u a proper answer tho!
They have training flights within the established squadrons for all the multi-engine aircraft other than Nimrod and Hercules. Same in the rotary world; each base has an OCF (Flight rather than Unit) subsumed within the squadrons there, other than the Sea King, which trains initially on SARTU (SAR Trg Unit) at Valley then 203(R) Sqn at St Mawgan (shortly to move to Valley).
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
i'd asume they would all be at Braze since thats the only place C17's are stationed for one and the majority of nimrods, vc10's and tristars
No Nimrods at Brize; just the MR2 at Kinloss and the R1 at Waddington. All the '10s, Tris and C17s are at Brize, and the Herc replacement and FSTA will be there too.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
No Nimrods at Brize; just the MR2 at Kinloss and the R1 at Waddington. All the '10s, Tris and C17s are at Brize, and the Herc replacement and FSTA will be there too.
Oh, I was close
I should of known better on the Nimrod though
FSTA being the new air tankers project?
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
They're not interested in "moulding" people; they have certain qualities they like, but they're not trying to produce clones. We're a service built on personality, being the cheeky young junior service

Apply for what you want to do. Don't pre-select yourself, leave it to the professionals!! They'll ask you in an interview as a pilot candidate what a). you'd do if unsuccessful (I'd consider NCA, sir!) and b). you think of NCA (I'd definately consider it if I didn't make the grade as an officer candidate sir; but I want to stretch myself, and aim as high as I can to begin with!).

If you want to be a pilot, apply as a pilot, and tell them you'd consider WSO and NC WSOp as 2nd and 3rd choices.
So they would look at that, as if you where being very open minded about your future options then?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (162)
15.58%
Uncertainty around my education (170)
16.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (100)
9.62%
Isolating with family (71)
6.83%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.75%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.65%
Loneliness (103)
9.9%
Financial worries (46)
4.42%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (95)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.12%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.65%

Watched Threads