Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    So they would look at that, as if you where being very open minded about your future options then?
    Is it a case of being focussed without being blinkered, or adaptable without being indecisive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    Is it a case of being focussed without being blinkered, or adaptable without being indecisive?
    I could go for that, they both sum it up rather well
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    Both. And flexible without being a flapper

It mostly shows that you're willing to accept the board's recommendations. You want to be officer aircrew; but if they say you're not fit for that, you'd accept either an officer ground branch, or NCO aircrew. The difficult thing is deciding which is most important; but you can justifiably say that you'd accept NCA if you were deemed poor as an officer candidate, or ground branches if deemed poor as a pilot candidate.

If you think you'd take an NCO aircrew position over an officer ground branch, you'll need to think of a nifty answer why; there's nothing wrong with it, but they'll ask "why?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Both. And flexible without being a flapper

It mostly shows that you're willing to accept the board's recommendations. You want to be officer aircrew; but if they say you're not fit for that, you'd accept either an officer ground branch, or NCO aircrew. The difficult thing is deciding which is most important; but you can justifiably say that you'd accept NCA if you were deemed poor as an officer candidate, or ground branches if deemed poor as a pilot candidate.

If you think you'd take an NCO aircrew position over an officer ground branch, you'll need to think of a nifty answer why; there's nothing wrong with it, but they'll ask "why?"
    best not to look like a flipflopper then
    Well I know that I cant be a pilot due to my age and my eye sight, and it seems a gray area for NCO aircrew. The way you put it over does cover both grounds nicely

oh and off topic, looks like you hit your 1000'th post with that one Wzz there is a little milestone for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    There was always a scores matrix, which changed between letters, numbers, totals, whatever. A weak acceptance is probably a 3- out of 7.

I've been told that scoring for 6FS is out of 4 instead of 7 because they only do part 1 of the process. Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    thats ok, can just brainwash the pilots to think everyone they are after is a Baron, has a red aircraft and a german logo on its side and no, I dont mean Michael schumacher
    hehe - if only it were that easy. I think those pilots will take some brainwashing though - from my reckoning, they;re pretty sharp... (Wzz?...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayelz81)
    hehe - if only it were that easy. I think those pilots will take some brainwashing though - from my reckoning, they;re pretty sharp... (Wzz?...)
    He's locked out again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    He's locked out again
    locked out? how do you mean, his ID for here not working, his net connection messed up or something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    locked out? how do you mean, his ID for here not working, his net connection messed up or something else?
    TSR have temporarily banned certain proxy servers until they sort out some security issues. Hopefully it won't be for too long!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Scorg)
    Oh, I was close
    I should of known better on the Nimrod though
    FSTA being the new air tankers project?
    Yup, Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft. It's a PFI deal whereby we'll have a couple of tankers and a leased capability from a company who'll lease the jets to airlines when we're not using them. We get the few tankers we need on the ground every day, and when we go on ops we ring them up and say "come on then; we need another 4" and they rip the seats out, stick in fuel, paint them grey, and we get them within a certain timescale.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Scorg)
    oh and off topic, looks like you hit your 1000'th post with that one Wzz there is a little milestone for you
    Hurrah. Almost exclusively on this thread, too........
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've been told that scoring for 6FS is out of 4 instead of 7 because they only do part 1 of the process. Is this true?
    Can't recall for the life of me; so "maybe."
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by hayelz81)
    :rolleyes: No comment. Most of us like to think we are at least.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    :rolleyes: No comment. Most of us like to think we are at least.........

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Can't recall for the life of me; so "maybe."

Where can I find out?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Where can I find out?
    To be honest you won't need to. If you see your report it'll explain it within it.

ReputationRep:
    I wear glasses fdue to being short sighted. Is this allowed or not?
    I've wanted to be an airline pilot ever since I could remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hero)
    Dearest Hero,

I am really having to bite my tongue with this one - it's best that you browse this thread to find out the detailed answer for this one! BUt the short answer is: no, it is not allowed! :eek:
    Look RAF website for careers other than pilot. UNfortunately its the first requirement! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but someone had to be.
    ONce you've gotmore of an idea, there are lots of nice people on here who can give you further advice, I am sure.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hero)

In order to be a pilot in the Royal Air Force, you must have an eyesight of 6/6. New regulations say that you can wear contacts to be an airman but I don't know the requirements. You can be as blind as a bat in anything else. You may be short sighted in the case of being a civvy commercial pilot, indeed many are. Now-a-days you would be looking at paying tens of thousands of pounds to get you license. (In the region of £70,000 I think)Training is done in special colleges where you can either study at home on a long distance course or study at college. You would also have periodic exams. A bank may fund you to do this provided you make a good case, but although some airlines offer sponserships, these are very very rare and you would be expected to be a graduate in the least to stand a good chance at them.

Why on earth do you want to be an airline pilot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Yup, Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft. It's a PFI deal whereby we'll have a couple of tankers and a leased capability from a company who'll lease the jets to airlines when we're not using them. We get the few tankers we need on the ground every day, and when we go on ops we ring them up and say "come on then; we need another 4" and they rip the seats out, stick in fuel, paint them grey, and we get them within a certain timescale.
    this has me curious if the aircraft end up being dual commercial airliner and military air tanker. Wouldn't that compromise the space within the aircraft for either amounts of seats available and cargo space or the size of the tanks that could be fitted to the aircraft. Or is this something where the seats can be exchanged for tanks without major reworking?
    I recall the airtanker people where talking of using A330's for this, so this aircraft is about the same size as a tristar. How does the tristar stand when its set to dual roll within the raf?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.