Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hero)
I wear glasses fdue to being short sighted. Is this allowed or not?
I've wanted to be an airline pilot ever since I could remember.

If you've always wanted to be a pilot, why have you applied for medicine?? :confused: I don't intend to be mean, but if you'd always wanted this as a career, you'd have researched it thoroughly and wouldn't have waited until you'd received rejections from med school before deciding (Don't know how your Leicester interview went)!!

If you've changed your mind because you think becoming a pilot is an easier option, then you're mistaken;I think you'll find the competition is equally as fierce as it is for medicine!You don't really appear to have a commitment to either profession if you can change from one to the other so easily!
ricurtis
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I am in the process of filling out the AFCO Forms ready for my screening interview.
On AFCO Form 4 "Application Form for service in Her Majestys Armed Forces", when a question is not relevant (i.e, 2.6c in my case), are we still supposed to write "Not Applicable", or do we just skip it ? It will look a bit strange if I write Not Applicable in all these boxes. The AFCO Form 5 which is the guidance for filling out this form does not mention anything about writing N/A, Nil, Not Known etc, but Form 103 General Instructions suggests that All boxes must be filled - but does this apply to Form 4 ?
hayelz81
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ricurtis)
I am in the process of filling out the AFCO Forms ready for my screening interview.
On AFCO Form 4 "Application Form for service in Her Majestys Armed Forces", when a question is not relevant (i.e, 2.6c in my case), are we still supposed to write "Not Applicable", or do we just skip it ? It will look a bit strange if I write Not Applicable in all these boxes. The AFCO Form 5 which is the guidance for filling out this form does not mention anything about writing N/A, Nil, Not Known etc, but Form 103 General Instructions suggests that All boxes must be filled - but does this apply to Form 4 ?
Don't leave any boxes blank - that is what I remember from my form. Your best bet is to go through the whole thing, then compile a list of Q for any you are unsure of, phone your AFCO and ask them all in one go. Although my AFCO seemed a *little* tired of the phonecall (they must gat us keenies on the phone all the time!!), they were very helpful. Get his or her name, and ask for them each time - it is always useful to have a contact.
Good luck
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
you must fill in all the boxes. If it does not apply to you put 'Not applicable'
ricurtis
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
you must fill in all the boxes. If it does not apply to you put 'Not applicable'
Does this even apply to questions such as 1.12 (Previous Application For Service) ? .

The question is "In the past have you ever applied to join the Armed Forces" Yes/No, but then it goes on, "If YES then please give the date" etc etc. In the boxes which are for "IF yes", should I still be writing Not Applicable ?

Sorry to sound thick but I just dont want to mess this up.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Does this even apply to questions such as 1.12 (Previous Application For Service) ? .

The question is "In the past have you ever applied to join the Armed Forces" Yes/No, but then it goes on, "If YES then please give the date" etc etc. In the boxes which are for "IF yes", should I still be writing Not Applicable ?

tick no if you haven't, if you have applied again, are in the process of applying again, or have made a previous application even without proper screening tick yes and put the date. If this is your first application put No.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

If you tick 'No' to "...have you ever applied to join the Armed Forces" , you have answered the question, so wouldn't need to put "Not Applicable" in the "If yes" questions. That isn't the same as leaving any questions unanswered;you have answered it by saying "No".

Hope that makes sense;at least it does to me!! :rolleyes:
ricurtis
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
If you tick 'No' to "...have you ever applied to join the Armed Forces" , you have answered the question, so wouldn't need to put "Not Applicable" in the "If yes" questions. That isn't the same as leaving any questions unanswered;you have answered it by saying "No".

Hope that makes sense;at least it does to me!! :rolleyes:
Right thanks. That makes perfect sense.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hero)
I wear glasses fdue to being short sighted. Is this allowed or not?
I've wanted to be an airline pilot ever since I could remember.
Well, it's allowed, but not if you fancy being a military pilot. Assuming you're not effectively blind, you'll pass a JAR Class 1 medical.

However, some might say a thread entitled "RAF Officer/Pilot entry" might not be the best place to ask about civilian flying
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
this has me curious if the aircraft end up being dual commercial airliner and military air tanker. Wouldn't that compromise the space within the aircraft for either amounts of seats available and cargo space or the size of the tanks that could be fitted to the aircraft. Or is this something where the seats can be exchanged for tanks without major reworking?
I recall the airtanker people where talking of using A330's for this, so this aircraft is about the same size as a tristar. How does the tristar stand when its set to dual roll within the raf?
The latter; they rip big chunks of the interior out and fit huge tanks, then refit the interior when they're not in use.

No idea what the Tri does with regard to dual-roling. I'll ask; presumably they either have some for pax and some for fuel or refit like this.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Don't worry too much about it. Just fill in everything you can, and anything you can't, put N/A.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

The boxes which ask "If Yes" are, literally, not applicable to you because you've ticked "no."

Hence I'd write N/A in them
hero
Badges: 1
Report 15 years ago
If you've always wanted to be a pilot, why have you applied for medicine?? :confused: I don't intend to be mean, but if you'd always wanted this as a career, you'd have researched it thoroughly and wouldn't have waited until you'd received rejections from med school before deciding (Don't know how your Leicester interview went)!!

If you've changed your mind because you think becoming a pilot is an easier option, then you're mistaken;I think you'll find the competition is equally as fierce as it is for medicine!You don't really appear to have a commitment to either profession if you can change from one to the other so easily!
I know becoming a pilot is a lot harder than trying to get into medicine thats why when I started college a year and a half ago I decided that I should find something else that I am interested.
My Leicester interview went ok I think but I can't really say for sure as the interviewers just kept smiling they'll contact me in 3-4weeks time of my result.
I was just wondering about how to become a pilot through the RAF because if I dont get into med school I am planning to do some biological related course at Liverpool and I was thinking maybe I could join the University Air Squadron whilst I was studying in Liverpool but wasnt sure about my eye sight so I asked here.
If I get into med school and end up becoming a doctor I will still learn to fly at my own expensives but only as a hobby
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
No idea what the Tri does with regard to dual-roling. I'll ask; presumably they either have some for pax and some for fuel or refit like this.
Having sat in and behind a few Tristars at various times now, I can tell you it goes like this:
There are 2 variants, one which is primarily a people carrier, and one which predominantly provides fuel - or at least that was the conops. However, I have sat in both variants across the Atlantic, and I'm pretty sure I've taken fuel from both variants also. ie you can still hold a fair number of pax in the ones which have great big metal boxes in the cabin, and for routine UK training, the unmodified Tristars still hold ample fuel to provide enough "give."
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
The boxes which ask "If Yes" are, literally, not applicable to you because you've ticked "no."

Hence I'd write N/A in them
Funny, I agree with Nikki here! No need to answer the second question at all, because the instruction is only to write something if it applies to you! Hence I would leave it blank!
I don't really think anyone cares that much...no right answer here! Don't worry about it!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Funny, I agree with Nikki here! No need to answer the second question at all, because the instruction is only to write something if it applies to you! Hence I would leave it blank!
I don't really think anyone cares that much...no right answer here! Don't worry about it!

I can understand what Wzz means though, because if you take it literally those questions are 'Not applicable' But like you said I don't think you'd be wrong answering either way.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
the instruction is only to write something if it applies to you!
But if it doesn't apply, you could always specify it's not applicable?

Seriously though, I had a wonderful time sorting through some forms while holding, and I didn't really give a stuff what people had written. I remember on my own form "N/A"-ing everything I didn't write in.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
But if it doesn't apply, you could always specify it's not applicable?

Seriously though, I had a wonderful time sorting through some forms while holding, and I didn't really give a stuff what people had written. I remember on my own form "N/A"-ing everything I didn't write in.
Belt and braces, I suppose.
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Having sat in and behind a few Tristars at various times now, I can tell you it goes like this:
There are 2 variants, one which is primarily a people carrier, and one which predominantly provides fuel - or at least that was the conops. However, I have sat in both variants across the Atlantic, and I'm pretty sure I've taken fuel from both variants also. ie you can still hold a fair number of pax in the ones which have great big metal boxes in the cabin, and for routine UK training, the unmodified Tristars still hold ample fuel to provide enough "give."
cheers for that Dirts, ive got a better idea now how it goes
and Wzz as well on the Airbus tanker
hero
Badges: 1
Report 15 years ago
I can't speak for the pilots on here, but I'd consider a career in medicine as a vocation rather than just something else that you have an "interest" in. After all, you're talking about spending a lifetime doing this job.

As has beeen said your eyesight would preclude you from being a pilot in the RAF, although you could still apply to join a UAS (but not to fly with your eyesight). If you are thinking of joining a UAS, you'd have to be seriously considering a career in the RAF, it's not just a hobby whilst you're at uni, and again it's a very competitive process. If pilot's not an option, have you considered any other branch?

So do you want to be a pilot, join the RAF, or be a doctor?
Well an airline pilot has always been my first choice but since I started college I have taken medicine to a liking. BUt i have to think of a back up plan to medicine incase I dont get an offer. I dont really want to work for the RAF and my eyesight doesnt allow me anyway so my only option is to become a pilot via sponsorship from airlines but this is extremely rare and millions of times harder to get compared with medicine so I no longer see getting a sponsorship from an airline as an option for me since hardly any airlines are now doing full sponsorships that I know of.
So if I get an off from Leicester then I will off course accept it and work as hard as I can to get the grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (95)
26.99%
No (257)
73.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed