Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hero)
    Well an airline pilot has always been my first choice but since I started college I have taken medicine to a liking. BUt i have to think of a back up plan to medicine incase I dont get an offer. I dont really want to work for the RAF and my eyesight doesnt allow me anyway so my only option is to become a pilot via sponsorship from airlines but this is extremely rare and millions of times harder to get compared with medicine so I no longer see getting a sponsorship from an airline as an option for me since hardly any airlines are now doing full sponsorships that I know of.
    So if I get an off from Leicester then I will off course accept it and work as hard as I can to get the grades.
    how do you know how hard it is if you haven't tried? Yes it is hard to get sponsership but that is not the only option. You can draw up a plan and go and see your bank manager who may lend you the money in the form of an overdraft. You don't really seem to have done your research if you want to become a commercial pilot. Have you really looked into the job? It is one of the most boring mudane jobs you can do nowadays.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by hero)
    since hardly any airlines are now doing full sponsorships that I know of.
    Try "none" right now.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    You can draw up a plan and go and see your bank manager who may lend you the money in the form of an overdraft.
    Yes, and with your £60 000 overdraft and frozen ATPL plus 500-odd hours, you can sit unemployed because big airlines are looking for 2500 hours + and a type rating.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Yes, and with your £60 000 overdraft and frozen ATPL plus 500-odd hours, you can sit unemployed because big airlines are looking for 2500 hours + and a type rating.
    a few people I know are doing the course without the hope of flying for an airline. They seem to be going the instructor route. The market is open but not for those just finishing courses. My CFI is off to join an airline and has thousands of hours under her belt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Try "none" right now.
    Some private company bursaries and scholarships are available. Usually in segregated sections. Obviously this doesn't guarantee you a full ATPL, but you can work to it?

Try having a look in the public section of the British Airline Pilots Association website (www.balpa.org) or perhaps here, http://www.balpa.org/intranet/How-to...or.doc_cvt.htm

(Risking a thrashing for posting a link, but begging that it is related to the discussion.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    Then why didn't you go for what you always wanted to do in the first place? I thought your back up plan was biomedical sciences? Why would you do that if you really want to be a pilot? Seems bizarre!!

Then what were you wanting to join a UAS for? It's not a club for free flying lessons, it's for people wanting to join the RAF as a career!!

How do you know this? It's certainly not academically, although competition may well be tougher. Getting into either isn't exactly easy!

Doesn't sound as though you're all that committed to medicine in the first place. :rolleyes:
    Well I did go and do 88hours of voluntry work at a local hospital which I enjoyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cwarranto)
    Some private company bursaries and scholarships are available. Usually in segregated sections. Obviously this doesn't guarantee you a full ATPL, but you can work to it?

Try having a look in the public section of the British Airline Pilots Association website (www.balpa.org) or perhaps here, http://www.balpa.org/intranet/How-to...or.doc_cvt.htm

(Risking a thrashing for posting a link, but begging that it is related to the discussion.)
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirts)
    Having sat in and behind a few Tristars at various times now, I can tell you it goes like this:
    There are 2 variants, one which is primarily a people carrier, and one which predominantly provides fuel - or at least that was the conops. However, I have sat in both variants across the Atlantic, and I'm pretty sure I've taken fuel from both variants also. ie you can still hold a fair number of pax in the ones which have great big metal boxes in the cabin, and for routine UK training, the unmodified Tristars still hold ample fuel to provide enough "give."
    i thought there were 4 variants of tristar in service. at least thats the impression i gained from my mate who flys them.....
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4288383.stm

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    that reminds me of the belly landing that one of the F3's at leuchers had to do a year ago, which was being flown by someone that was converting to that type of aircraft at the time, talk about a learning curve there :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It's things like that which make me happy to take a ground branch. Each to their own I suppose :rolleyes: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    It's things like that which make me happy to take a ground branch. Each to their own I suppose :rolleyes: .
    http://news.mod.uk/news/press/news_h...wsItem_id=3104

This has pics of the fire service doing their thing.
    Everyone safe, thank goodness.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    nah, I'm sure it adds to the excitement. (once they're sure that they are going to get out of it find and dandy!!) Still doesn't put me off.....and it is tornados that I am interested in.

ReputationRep:
    nah, I'm sure it adds to the excitement.

Scares the hell out of me!! How can anyone be excited about their life being in danger? :eek: :eek: :confused:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    Scares the hell out of me!! How can anyone be excited about their life being in danger? :eek: :eek: :confused:
    ...once they're sure that they are going to be fine. Anyway I would rather have my life in danger doing something I love rather than walking down the street and almost getting hit by a bus.

ReputationRep:
    ...once they're sure that they are going to be fine. Anyway I would rather have my life in danger doing something I love rather than walking down the street and almost getting hit by a bus.

Well, doing a job I love in a dangerous situation is a bit different to being excited by the danger of doing the job. Each to their own I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Well hey everyone, i'm back from OASC! Evil, my application didn't get put through for the sponsership

I'm unfit to fly and the only apitude test i passed was for pilot lol great!

But whats really gutting is my interview went absolutely great and they recommended me stupid aptitude and medical!

but fear not! i will be back when i'm 19.5 years old! on the dot!

:eviltongu
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Sgt_Sezzle)
    Well hey everyone, i'm back from OASC! Evil, my application didn't get put through for the sponsership

I'm unfit to fly and the only apitude test i passed was for pilot lol great!

But whats really gutting is my interview went absolutely great and they recommended me stupid aptitude and medical!

but fear not! i will be back when i'm 19.5 years old! on the dot!

:eviltongu
    why are you unfit to fly? I take it you were going for pilot? Don't worry to much about it, they are very diffucult to get. Go to uni and apply in a few years. Don't rush it, you only get two tries at your aptitude. What was your score at aptitude? (if you don't mind me asking)

ReputationRep:
    why are you unfit to fly? I take it you were going for pilot? Don't worry to much about it, they are very diffucult to get. Go to uni and apply in a few years. Don't rush it, you only get two tries at your aptitude. What was your score at aptitude? (if you don't mind me asking)
    yea they told me its best to come back when i'm 19.5, thats when they see the highest results for aptitude. Im unfit to fly because i'm too short on 4/6 measurements and slightly short sighted in my right eye, but i recently had my eyes checked and told they were 20/20 more than perfect lol and the review off said i might be able to do something about that result.

I got 112 (dead on!) for Pilot.
    About 70 odd for Fighter controller
    About 80 odd i think for ATC.. or might have been something else i was just glancing.

I was only about 16-18 out on the rest of them.

I'll take the aptitude when i think i'm most ready.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Sgt_Sezzle)
    yea they told me its best to come back when i'm 19.5, thats when they see the highest results for aptitude. Im unfit to fly because i'm too short on 4/6 measurements and slightly short sighted in my right eye, but i recently had my eyes checked and told they were 20/20 more than perfect lol and the review off said i might be able to do something about that result.

I got 112 (dead on!) for Pilot.
    About 70 odd for Fighter controller
    About 80 odd i think for ATC.. or might have been something else i was just glancing.

I was only about 16-18 out on the rest of them.

I'll take the aptitude when i think i'm most ready.
    For pilot, in order to have a competitive advantage you should be looking at scoring 140 or over. Or so My CFIs tell me. I don't know about seeing the highest results when you are 19.5. I'm 20 and just from doing EFT I know I will be better prepared when I go to cranwell this time next year. Who said your eyes were 20/20? It could very well clear up as I was told I had no chance of being a pilot but cranwell told me my vision was 6/6!

Why don't you go to university and join a UAS? Over 60% of pilots currently serving have come from UAS's around the country.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.