Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    For pilot, in order to have a competitive advantage you should be looking at scoring 140 or over. Or so My CFIs tell me. I don't know about seeing the highest results when you are 19.5. I'm 20 and just from doing EFT I know I will be better prepared when I go to cranwell this time next year. Who said your eyes were 20/20? It could very well clear up as I was told I had no chance of being a pilot but cranwell told me my vision was 6/6!

Why don't you go to university and join a UAS? Over 60% of pilots currently serving have come from UAS's around the country.
    yea i know, theres no way i would have been some competition for others who had passed it.
    The optitions told me i had 20/20 (or 6/6) vision, they did the exact same thing as the optitions too so i'm slightly confused, but i was sitting for like an hour in extremely bright sun waiting for my eye test!!! :mad:

yea i definately will go to uni and join a UAS me tinks not sure what to study yet tho!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Sgt_Sezzle)
    yea i know, theres no way i would have been some competition for others who had passed it.
    The optitions told me i had 20/20 (or 6/6) vision, they did the exact same thing as the optitions too so i'm slightly confused, but i was sitting for like an hour in extremely bright sun waiting for my eye test!!! :mad:

yea i definately will go to uni and join a UAS me tinks not sure what to study yet tho!
    How old are you at the moment? You could check out the UCAS site, they have all the courses listed. I went for something aviation related. The test at Cranwell is more in depth than your optician. The results you got though would allow you onto a UAS provided that you scored well on your interview with them. Also, if you do join a UAS come september you won't have to resit it as they will take the results you just achieved. That way you will get a better feel for the RAF, start EFT, and maybe score a bit higher on your aptitude. They say on average people impove by only 10%.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you at the moment? You could check out the UCAS site, they have all the courses listed. I went for something aviation related. The test at Cranwell is more in depth than your optician. The results you got though would allow you onto a UAS provided that you scored well on your interview with them. Also, if you do join a UAS come september you won't have to resit it as they will take the results you just achieved. That way you will get a better feel for the RAF, start EFT, and maybe score a bit higher on your aptitude. They say on average people impove by only 10%.
    I'm 16 at the moment, i've just been for the sixth form scholarship. I will have a look at Ucas actually,

Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I went for something aviation related.

I thought you did a year of biomed and have now switched to biology? You're confusing me now. :confused: Why did you drop out of biomed, you could have almost finished it by now?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    I thought you did a year of biomed and have now switched to biology? You're confusing me now. :confused: Why did you drop out of biomed, you could have almost finished it by now?
    I went to the university of aberdeen first. Then I took a year out. Then I came to bristol to go aerospace engineering. THEN I switched to environmental science due to the UAS. I have said that before and I don't think it is particularly productive to go about picking holes in everything anyone says, rather than offering constructive advice.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm 16 at the moment, i've just been for the sixth form scholarship. I will have a look at Ucas actually,

Thanks for your help!
    16 is still quite young. I would go for the UAS if you want a good shot at it. Let me know if you need any urls or anything for information.

ReputationRep:
    Hi just remembered is it possible to get a full debrief on how you did at Cranwell from your local AFCO? I cant remember.

Rob
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rab)
    Hi just remembered is it possible to get a full debrief on how you did at Cranwell from your local AFCO? I cant remember.

Rob
    They should have your report, which you are entitled to see. I'm not entirely sure though but on a UAS we were all allowed to see ours. Just ring up and ask
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    and I left as to me, biology is very very dull and very easy. I like to be challenged by something.

ReputationRep:
    Well hey everyone, i'm back from OASC! Evil, my application didn't get put through for the sponsership

I'm unfit to fly and the only apitude test i passed was for pilot lol great!

But whats really gutting is my interview went absolutely great and they recommended me stupid aptitude and medical!

but fear not! i will be back when i'm 19.5 years old! on the dot!

:eviltongu
    Unlucky - this seems to be the most common grievance of people attending OASC.

I was the opposite; I wear specs so always knew I couldn't fly, yet when I was debriefed on my aptitude scores (160 for pilot, and >150 for all the NCA roles) I couldn't help wondering what could have been.

What I didn't realise was that my eyesight precluded me from FC and ATC which were my first choices. Fortunately my degree covered me for EngO, and so that's what I settled on. It's amazing how much your plans change in those three days.

I didn't join UAS, infact I didn't even know of it's existance. A lot of the people I met during my application were UAS, adult instructors in the Air Cadets or serving personnel, though I wouldn't suggest these people had any advantage over those of us with absolutely no military experience.

Good luck with the next few years and if you keep your goals in sight I'm sure there is no reason why you can't achieve them. :top:

ReputationRep:
    I went to the university of aberdeen first. Then I took a year out. Then I came to bristol to go aerospace engineering. THEN I switched to environmental science due to the UAS. I have said that before and I don't think it is particularly productive to go about picking holes in everything anyone says, rather than offering constructive advice.

Actually if you read back through your posts you've never mentioned going to Aberdeen before, and have said you've done that many different degrees and courses it's difficult to know what you're doing or where you are!!

You've previously said that you have RAF sponsorship, have done a degree and are now doing a masters, and are employed by the RAF; to name but a few of the inconsistencies you've posted. If I'm picking holes it's because you're not being truthful about what you've done, and I have a very good memory!!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Actually if you read back through your posts you've never mentioned going to Aberdeen before, and have said you've done that many different degrees and courses it's difficult to know what you're doing or where you are!!

You've previously said that you have RAF sponsorship, have done a degree and are now doing a masters, and are employed by the RAF; to name but a few of the inconsistencies you've posted. If I'm picking holes it's because you're not being truthful about what you've done, and I have a very good memory!!
    I was going for an RAF sponsership which I thought I could get. If you care to bring up things that have been said on other forums perhaps you could look at what else had been said around that time and what was going on in my life to make me hope for something like that.
    I WAS doing MSc Aerospace Engineering which changed to Environmental Science as the course was too long. I can give you the link to my course if you so desire to check up on me.
    I am paid by the RAF, I have a service number and I have a uniform. I am listed as an employee and on my tax forms it is listed as my only job. Fair enough some of guys on here are far beyond me and I can only hope to achieve what they have achieved but in the gist of things that is what I am.

I am puzzled as to why you find it so interesting as to what I am doing and where. I just find it rather disconcerting the way you seem to pick people apart who post on this thread as though you yourself have nothing at fault. Indeed that would not be the case if I lowered myself to show private conversations, which I will not do.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by cwarranto)
    Some private company bursaries and scholarships are available. Usually in segregated sections. Obviously this doesn't guarantee you a full ATPL, but you can work to it?
    A frozen ATPL, or even a full one (post-1500 hours) is sod all use in the job market right now. You could wind up flying little regional turboprops with your fATPL, I suppose, but you're looking at 3000 hours right now before Virgin or BA will touch you. It comes in peaks and troughs, but it's obvious which we're in now!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by carrierlanding)
    i thought there were 4 variants of tristar in service. at least thats the impression i gained from my mate who flys them.....
    Sure; I have no idea, I've never so much as been in one. They do two roles, and at a guess there'll be a variant split between the tanker/AT role with the ability to carry pax and fuel, and perhaps two different setups of either the pure tanker or AT mark.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Scorg)
    that reminds me of the belly landing that one of the F3's at leuchers had to do a year ago, which was being flown by someone that was converting to that type of aircraft at the time, talk about a learning curve there :eek:
    He was an ex-nav on the same type, so had plenty of experience on the F3, and its various emergencies and snags. He had done that drill in the sim fairly recently as well; but at the end of the day he only had around 300 hours in the front seat, so well done
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wzz)
    He was an ex-nav on the same type, so had plenty of experience on the F3, and its various emergencies and snags. He had done that drill in the sim fairly recently as well; but at the end of the day he only had around 300 hours in the front seat, so well done
    bloody hell, he was lucky. Ironic about the sim.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why don't you go to university and join a UAS? Over 60% of pilots currently serving have come from UAS's around the country.
    Because if she's permanently unfit to fly, they won't let her anywhere near a UAS as a pilot. If you're out on the measurements and eyesight, you're out, and that's it.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Because if she's permanently unfit to fly, they won't let her anywhere near a UAS as a pilot. If you're out on the measurements and eyesight, you're out, and that's it.
    god I feel stupid. I forgot about PMUs while reading her post. Ah well.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I am paid by the RAF, I have a service number and I have a uniform. I am listed as an employee and on my tax forms it is listed as my only job.
    Get that fixed quickly, you'll be getting reamed tax-wise. It's not a job; the clue's in the "Volunteer" bit of RAFVR! The attendance pay is similar to a reservist bounty to compensate for time taken away from a job in order to train. It's not employment, and you're not listed as an employee from PTC's point of view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Ahhh, the cold and harsh truth, i could grow still though! and theres a chance my eyesite result may be able to be changed (what the review officer told me)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.