BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Get that fixed quickly, you'll be getting reamed tax-wise. It's not a job; the clue's in the "Volunteer" bit of RAFVR! The attendance pay is similar to a reservist bounty to compensate for time taken away from a job in order to train. It's not employment, and you're not listed as an employee from PTC's point of view.
Our adj told us just to fill that bit in on our forms, apparently my taxes are ok as I'm not being taxed. This like that confuse me so I shall just let the adjudant deal with it.
Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
I am puzzled as to why you find it so interesting as to what I am doing and where. I just find it rather disconcerting the way you seem to pick people apart who post on this thread.

I'm not particularly interested at all, but can't help noticing your continual changes in stories when offering people advice. Like I said, I have an almost photographic memory, so gross inconsistencies get remembered. For example:

yes I was on a foundation year of engineering. It was my deans decision and I never quite agreeed with it. I have highers from school and I did chemistry and a maths/physics course at university. Due to the fact maths and physics weren't seperate classes I was told I wasn't qualified enough for 1st year
Now you’ve totally lost me. I thought you said you did biomed, so don’t really know which chemistry/maths/physics degree you mean? It’s even more confusing when you post on the uni-forum:

I decided to apply to university at got accepted in Kent to study Astrophysics.
I got accepted into Bristol to do engineering today
heh just found out I'm getting £10,000 a year for uni plus all my fees paid for 5,000 from the RAF 4,0095 from loan 1,000 hardships and all fees paid by the government
I maintian I'm not one due to the fact I have gone to uni already and am now doing a masters
Have you done a degree and are now on a masters, or are you an undergrad on a first degree? I also wasn’t aware that you’d ever been to OASC and offered sponsorship . When did you go, and what for?

The degrees you’ve mentioned require very decent grades in maths, physics, chemistry and biology, but in an earlier post on this forum you said:

15.07.04 I didn't even do maths at school and was going to be going to OASC until I pulled out on my own accord. I had really weird results like Philosophy and Psychology. lol.
01.08.04when I went for officer I had 1's in my standrad grades but the RAF wouldn't take them because they were american results, so they used my degree instead.
Again, when did you go for commission? And what degree? If you’re only 20 now, surely you wouldn’t have had time to finish a degree? Not surprisingly, it doesn’t seem to make sense. I’m not trying to be mean, but I’m sure you can see how people would be confused by what you’ve said.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sgt_Sezzle)
Ahhh, the cold and harsh truth, i could grow still though! and theres a chance my eyesite result may be able to be changed (what the review officer told me)
a lad on my UAS failed the height by 1mm. He was gutted and our faithful holding officer managed to woo the MO into remeasuring him. After he shaved his hair off ended up being 2 mm under. God help him when he goes for the proper medical though.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Scares the hell out of me!! How can anyone be excited about their life being in danger? :eek: :eek: :confused:
"For those who fight for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know"

I love motivational air power comments
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
I'm not particularly interested at all, but can't help noticing your continual changes in stories when offering people advice. Like I said, I have an almost photographic memory, so gross inconsistencies get remembered. For example:

Now you’ve totally lost me. I thought you said you did biomed, so don’t really know which chemistry/maths/physics degree you mean? It’s even more confusing when you post on the uni-forum:

Have you done a degree and are now on a masters, or are you an undergrad on a first degree? I also wasn’t aware that you’d ever been to OASC and offered sponsorship . When did you go, and what for?

The degrees you’ve mentioned require very decent grades in maths, physics, chemistry and biology, but in an earlier post on this forum you said:

Again, when did you go for commission? And what degree? If you’re only 20 now, surely you wouldn’t have had time to finish a degree? Not surprisingly, it doesn’t seem to make sense. I’m not trying to be mean, but I’m sure you can see how people would be confused by what you’ve said.
If you cannot understand what I am trying to say then why don't you pm me instead of filling up this thread with drivvel. I have already tried to explain it to you before and I will be quite happy to over private messages. I think, people who come here are looking for information on the RAF, not to read about 'girly hissy fits'
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
a lad on my UAS failed the height by 1mm. He was gutted and our faithful holding officer managed to woo the MO into remeasuring him. After he shaved his hair off ended up being 2 mm under. God help him when he goes for the proper medical though.
That's why we moved to centralised medicals! People were sneaking through local medicals by fluttering eyelashes and the MOs were reacting "it's only the UAS, I'll let him in for a bit of fun."

Those guys then serve 2 years and are crushed when the RAF won't accept them, and the RAF's hacked off it's paid for 2 years of training for someone who'll never be medically fit for them.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
That's why we moved to centralised medicals! People were sneaking through local medicals by fluttering eyelashes and the MOs were reacting "it's only the UAS, I'll let him in for a bit of fun."

Those guys then serve 2 years and are crushed when the RAF won't accept them, and the RAF's hacked off it's paid for 2 years of training for someone who'll never be medically fit for them.
exactly. I can understand why they are considering amalgamating the UASs to be honest.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Our adj told us just to fill that bit in on our forms, apparently my taxes are ok as I'm not being taxed. This like that confuse me so I shall just let the adjudant deal with it.
What forms? Adjutants on UASs are normally very very switched on.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
exactly. I can understand why they are considering amalgamating the UASs to be honest.
That won't make a difference if people are fudging the medicals, really. Nothing good comes of it.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sgt_Sezzle)
Ahhh, the cold and harsh truth, i could grow still though! and theres a chance my eyesite result may be able to be changed (what the review officer told me)
If you find out how, you could be very rich
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
What forms? Adjutants on UASs are normally very very switched on.
Not an RAF form. A P60? P40? No idea, it ask what your employment is and the name and address of your employer and that is about it really. Keeps us students as tax dodgers
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
If you find out how, you could be very rich
unless she went to the exact same optician as me! :rolleyes: That being said I will be very worried when the in depth eye exam comes up next year, given the fact I've heard two different things from two different opticians.
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
He was an ex-nav on the same type, so had plenty of experience on the F3, and its various emergencies and snags. He had done that drill in the sim fairly recently as well; but at the end of the day he only had around 300 hours in the front seat, so well done
It made alot of news around here, what with the pilot being a fifer as well

was it 300 hours? the beeb where claiming between 8 - 12 hours total in the front seat. but it is the media so they are known to make things up.
nikolai
Report 15 years ago
Hey guys,

sorry, i'm a studentroom n00b...so no doubt this post is hidden away somewhere.

I got accepted for Pilot Scholarship a while back, and have finally finished 6th year, part 2 medicals and familiarisation. April 3rd is the start of our IOT course and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any information or useful tips for IOT? :eek:

Thanks,

Nick
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nikolai)
Hey guys,

sorry, i'm a studentroom n00b...so no doubt this post is hidden away somewhere.

I got accepted for Pilot Scholarship a while back, and have finally finished 6th year, part 2 medicals and familiarisation. April 3rd is the start of our IOT course and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any information or useful tips for IOT? :eek:

Thanks,

Nick
wow congratulations! you must be quite excited
nikolai
Report 15 years ago
wow congratulations! you must be quite excited
thanks ...yeh can't wait, we all got delayed for six months due to a training backlog so it'll be a relief to finally start (not to mention finishing my crap retail job at the moment lol)
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nikolai)
thanks ...yeh can't wait, we all got delayed for six months due to a training backlog so it'll be a relief to finally start (not to mention finishing my crap retail job at the moment lol)
well good luck with it all. You're bound to meet lots of people and really enjoy yourself.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not an RAF form. A P60? P40? No idea, it ask what your employment is and the name and address of your employer and that is about it really. Keeps us students as tax dodgers
Aha; I'd re-educate your adj. From bitter experience, the RAF and MoD as a whole doesn't operate the student exemption scheme to keep you free from tax; so if you filled out any P-forms and receive a P60, you're eligible to pay tax.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
It made alot of news around here, what with the pilot being a fifer as well

was it 300 hours? the beeb where claiming between 8 - 12 hours total in the front seat. but it is the media so they are known to make things up.
He'll have had a couple of tours in the back, 60 hours "front" seat Tutor, 140 in Tucano, and 100-ish in Hawk. Maybe 8-12 hours in the front of an F3, but it's just a bigger, heavier aeroplane at the end of the day.

Still, I wouldn't fancy it, so it was a brave choice. I bet they were being advised to chuck it into the sea and get out.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
unless she went to the exact same optician as me! :rolleyes: That being said I will be very worried when the in depth eye exam comes up next year, given the fact I've heard two different things from two different opticians.
Which in-depth test? Are you thinking of corneal mapping etc?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (292)
34.23%
No (561)
65.77%

Watched Threads