Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
how did you become involed with the RAFA?
This does grab my curiosity.
Although I do have one fear that the afco may think im taking an interest in this and the ATC for all the wrong reasons.

I was runner up for their young person of the year award last year, and at the awards ceremony they invited me to go along to my local branch;I've been going ever since (I say ever since, it's only a few months ago really).

you shouldn't be worried about what AFCO think. If you're genuinely interested in these things then why not go for it. It all goes towards demonstrating your interest in the RAF, and developing lots of skills in the process.
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
I was runner up for their young person of the year award last year, and at the awards ceremony they invited me to go along to my local branch;I've been going ever since (I say ever since, it's only a few months ago really).

you shouldn't be worried about what AFCO think. If you're genuinely interested in these things then why not go for it. It all goes towards demonstrating your interest in the RAF, and developing lots of skills in the process.
Young person of the year award? so whats that all about then?
So was it invite only, or are they keen to have people involved?

I know my grandfather was a member as he was ex raf himself, although they wouldnt welcome my father for associate status for some reason.
mrjackd
Report 15 years ago
Hi

I am interested in becoming an officer in the RAF (i must be, i've just read the whole of this thread, hah). I was at first attracted to engineering but realised that i had dismissed being a pilot out of hand without even considering it (i always thought it would be above me, but on thinking about it there is no reason why, i've got as much chance as anyone). Anyway, now that i've considered it im thinking of applying to be a pilot and also saying i would be interested in considering engineering (engineering because i will hopefully have a related degree at the end of next year) if i didnt meet all requirements for pilot.

On the pilot front i have not had my eyes tested for over 2 years and so do not know what their current state is (i've not noticed any problems though, but obviously i would get a test done before applying), the thing that im interested in knowing more about is what the call is on hayfever. I have read some posts on the subject which seemed to say that if its mild enough you could still get in if you can convince the medical officer that it isnt really a problem which would affect your performance. I used to have hayfever quite bad from the age of 9 - 15 or so, i did go to the doctors and was prescribed tablets for it (i did however stop going to the doctors about hayfever when i was about 11 or 13 and havnt been since). Over the years my hayfever symptoms have become practically non existant most years. Even if i was to feel like i had hayfever a bit in the morning, a tablet completely gets rid of it these days (an off the counter tablet as well, not prescription).

I was wandering if they do strictly say no to hayfever, or like i've read, can you convince them its not a problem to your perfomance.

Thanx for any help.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mrjackd)
Hi

I am interested in becoming an officer in the RAF (i must be, i've just read the whole of this thread, hah). I was at first attracted to engineering but realised that i had dismissed being a pilot out of hand without even considering it (i always thought it would be above me, but on thinking about it there is no reason why, i've got as much chance as anyone). Anyway, now that i've considered it im thinking of applying to be a pilot and also saying i would be interested in considering engineering (engineering because i will hopefully have a related degree at the end of next year) if i didnt meet all requirements for pilot.

On the pilot front i have not had my eyes tested for over 2 years and so do not know what their current state is (i've not noticed any problems though, but obviously i would get a test done before applying), the thing that im interested in knowing more about is what the call is on hayfever. I have read some posts on the subject which seemed to say that if its mild enough you could still get in if you can convince the medical officer that it isnt really a problem which would affect your performance. I used to have hayfever quite bad from the age of 9 - 15 or so, i did go to the doctors and was prescribed tablets for it (i did however stop going to the doctors about hayfever when i was about 11 or 13 and havnt been since). Over the years my hayfever symptoms have become practically non existant most years. Even if i was to feel like i had hayfever a bit in the morning, a tablet completely gets rid of it these days (an off the counter tablet as well, not prescription).

I was wandering if they do strictly say no to hayfever, or like i've read, can you convince them its not a problem to your perfomance.

Thanx for any help.
Hi

I believe if you were perscribed tablets until that late you may have a problem as it will be on your medical records. It isn't just what you manage to tell them at cranwell, they also contact your doctor for a full medical statement where you doctor has to declare anything medically significant. Its a bit of a shame, but then they can afford to be picky with their pilot selections. For your eyesight, you would have a test done at cranwell if you do not currently wear glasses. I think you only have an optician test if you may have a need to wear glasses. If you are currently doing an engineering degree, have you looked at joining a UAS to get some flying experience? They recruit in September at the freshers fairs though I am not sure what their policy is on final year students.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Young person of the year award? so whats that all about then?
So was it invite only, or are they keen to have people involved?

I know my grandfather was a member as he was ex raf himself, although they wouldnt welcome my father for associate status for some reason.

Well, it's not as grand as it sounds. ATC's nominate a couple of cadets from each branch and RAFA choose someone as their young person of the year. You have to submit a CV setting out academic achievements, Sports involvement/awards, charitable works etc etc, and then RAFA shortlist a number of people to invite to the awards ceremony where they interview you (good practice for Cranwell!!)
mrjackd
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
Hi

I believe if you were perscribed tablets until that late you may have a problem as it will be on your medical records. It isn't just what you manage to tell them at cranwell, they also contact your doctor for a full medical statement where you doctor has to declare anything medically significant. Its a bit of a shame, but then they can afford to be picky with their pilot selections. For your eyesight, you would have a test done at cranwell if you do not currently wear glasses. I think you only have an optician test if you may have a need to wear glasses. If you are currently doing an engineering degree, have you looked at joining a UAS to get some flying experience? They recruit in September at the freshers fairs though I am not sure what their policy is on final year students.
Yea, i did see that they get a copy of your medical records, and obviously i thought myself it may be a problem (hence the post), i guess really the only thing i can do is see what they say. The ages i mentioned were only rough esitimates, its so long ago i stopped taking the prescribed tablets that i cant even remember when it was.

I did read here though a few posts of people saying they made it in as pilot even though they had hayfever and the medical people at cranwell knew about it. They just had to explain to them how severe it was.

Hadnt thought about the UAS, i'll have a search on the internet to see if they let you in as final year.

I would like to contact RAF cranwell's medical staff but the email address provided earlier in this thread does not appear to work as the email got returned to me undelivered.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would like to contact RAF cranwell's medical staff but the email address provided earlier in this thread does not appear to work as the email got returned to me undelivered.

I think that was a link I put in. Sorry it didn't work; it was one provided on the literature sent out by the med centre! Have you tried any of the numbers there? You may be able to speak to someone directly. If not, you could ring the main Cranwell number;they should be able to give you the correct e-mail address.
James501
Report 15 years ago
Hi

Thanx for any help.
Hi, Your best bet to find information on this apart from asking here would be to visit the site www.pprune.org. Use the Search Engine and type in 'Hayfever' and then search only the Military Aircrew Forum. By doing this you'll have more than enough relevant reading for your question.

Hope that helps mate.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I used to have hayfever quite bad from the age of 9 - 15 or so, i did go to the doctors and was prescribed tablets for it (i did however stop going to the doctors about hayfever when i was about 11 or 13 and havnt been since). Over the years my hayfever symptoms have become practically non existant most years. Even if i was to feel like i had hayfever a bit in the morning, a tablet completely gets rid of it these days (an off the counter tablet as well, not prescription).

Thanx for any help.
If you have hayfever, you're completely ineligible for aircrew for obvious reasons. You can join any of the ground branches with hayfever as long as it doesn't cause extreme symptoms, wheezing etc.

If you did have hayfever but don't now, it'll come down to what's in your medical records. If you technically still have it, you're in trouble; if you're "cured" of it somehow, then it depends on whether or not you get symptoms.

The biggest problems you can run into if you suffer from mild hayfever are the integrity issues. A doctor is going to ask you "do you have hayfever?" If you suffer from some hayfever symptoms, even ones cured by over-the-counter remedies, and you say "no," then you're lying. It'll be very tempting, especially if you think it won't affect flying, but it's absolutely the last thing you should do.

Too many people get hung up on medical issues before they've even applied. You've half-solved your problem yourself by saying you'd consider engineer. If you have mild hayfever symptoms, you're certainly eligible for that.

Apply, give it 100%, and tell the truth in the medical. If the form asks if you've ever suffered from hayfever, tick "YES" and let your medical records do the talking. In your final medical interview, tell the truth about what symptoms you get and when.

If they accept you, it'll be because it's mild, and it won't affect you. If they reject you, it'll be because your hayfever would get in the way. You don't want to try flying with any sort of nose-sinus problem, and you can't fly when self-medicating.

Bottom line; trust the docs, do your best, tell the truth, but do make sure you mention it to them! Don't be tempted to try and sweep it under the rug, it's all over your medical records; so use your face time at OASC to say you think you're cured.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hadnt thought about the UAS, i'll have a search on the internet to see if they let you in as final year.

Bah, too much reliance on the internet nowadays. Why not call your local UAS rather than email them? If I remember right you need a minimum of 4 terms left at uni, so if you're starting your final year you won't be eligible. There's not enough time to do anything with you while you're studying for finals anyway.

Again with Cranwell; I'm not sure if there's any part of any recruiting literature which tells you to ring up OASC to ask questions. Ring your local AFCO; number's either in the phone book or easily found on the internet; and ask them. If they say they don't know, ask for the number of someone who does. If they agree, then ring Cranwell.
mrjackd
Report 15 years ago
Thanx for the advise, i'll probably pursue it further with pilot as first choice and engineer as an 'i would consider'. If i do all i can do then what will be, will be.
sAi_YuK
Report 15 years ago
hi Wzzzz

i did email you but i am sure you have many emails to deal with.

just wondered, if there age limit for being considered for fast jet pilot? i'm 22 and just about finish off a bsc eco degree. do many ethnic minorities make it as fast jet pilots in the raf? i.e im chinese.
mrjackd
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sAi_YuK)
hi Wzzzz

just wondered, if there age limit for being considered for fast jet pilot? i'm 22 and just about finish off a bsc eco degree. do many ethnic minorities make it as fast jet pilots in the raf? i.e im chinese.
The age limit for becoming a pilot is 23, but some people have posted that you could still become a pilot if you've just turned 24.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hi Wzzzz

23.5 is the age limit for pilot and ethniticity has no bearing what so ever on your career.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Of course, recruiting is completely equal opportunities nowadays. But I shouldn't think the question should be "do many ethnic minorities make it...", more "what's the ratio of ethnic minorities who actually apply to how many then go on to..." and to that, I have absolutely no idea. However, I can say that I have met people from most ethnic minorities in my line, both fast jet pilots and navs. As long as you meet all the appropriate citizenship criteria, you will be assessed evenly alongside all others.
Juji
Report 15 years ago
Firstly, of course ethnicity has NO bearing at all upon selection and recruitment. Nationality and residency do though.

Secondly, the entry criteria are listed quite plainly on the RAF Careers website (www.rafcareers.com). As you can see, the age limit is 23. You have to be in training before reaching the upper limit. The next training course (Initial Officer Training course) starts in November, so that's the earliest you could join. If you are 22 now...you need to get yourself into your AFCO as soon as possible and start the ball rolling (it can take 6+ months to get through selection).

PILOT

Pay: £24,860–£72,080
Minimum length of service: 12 years

Qualifications: 5 GCSEs/SCEs and 2 A-levels or 3 Highers or equivalent. GCSEs/SCEs at Grade C/3 minimum to include English language and maths

Nationality: British citizen since birth or holder of dual British/other nationality
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Of course, recruiting is completely equal opportunities nowadays. But I shouldn't think the question should be "do many ethnic minorities make it...", more "what's the ratio of ethnic minorities who actually apply to how many then go on to..." and to that, I have absolutely no idea. However, I can say that I have met people from most ethnic minorities in my line, both fast jet pilots and navs. As long as you meet all the appropriate citizenship criteria, you will be assessed evenly alongside all others.

Recruitment and retention of people from ethnic minorities is also covered in the MOD's 2003 paper "Delivering Security in a Changing World" (Cm 6041-11). It sets out a few statistics in terms of recruitment from ethnic minorites but doesn't give a breakdown of how many applied to how many got in. It does say however, that the proportion employed has risen from 1.2% to 6.5% between 1998 and 2003 (so that has to be a postive thing).

The doc goes on to mention a Diversity Panel being set up to develop a business case for the MOD, to look at attracting more recruits from ethnic minority communities, and as far as I can remember, that was due to be published in 2004. It's probably floating about somewhere on the MOD website now,and it may contain some of the statistics required.
mrjackd
Report 15 years ago
Wzz (or any other pilot), just out of interest, have you ever met a pilot on your posts around the country who does have any form of hayfever (be it mild or whatever). Obviously you may not know of course cuz they could only have it the odd day.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Juji)
Firstly, of course ethnicity has NO bearing at all upon selection and recruitment. Nationality and residency do though.

Juji, what branch are you in, and what do you do?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just read in the RAF News (o.k, I know it's always a bit behind the times!) that the proposed changes to increase IOT from 24 to 30 weeks, takes effect from 21st Nov '05. Each course will have up to 120 cadets every 11 weeks, with a throughput of up to 540 per year. Courses will be split into 3 terms, with a weeks AL between each term. There's a link to further info (I was trying to find out about the SERE course) but it doesn't work!! :rolleyes:

Also read about the new Armed Forces pay award from April this year. I can't believe how little you guys pay for food and accommodation!! :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.36%
No (596)
65.64%

Watched Threads