RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You don't have to eat it; it's still a rip off!!
Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
You don't have to eat it; it's still a rip off!!

Yeah, yeah;try buying it from a supermarket at the same price!! :rolleyes: You've had a massive increase in food charges of between 7p and 9p per day;scandalous rip off!! :p:
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Actually, in all seriousness, our pay rises for the last few years have all been beaten by substantially-above-inflation rises in things like food and accommodation. While I might have more money, taking general inflation into account and then the fact my room and board costs much more in percentage terms I'm constantly getting worse off than I was... if you follow
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Actually, in all seriousness, our pay rises for the last few years have all been beaten by substantially-above-inflation rises in things like food and accommodation. While I might have more money, taking general inflation into account and then the fact my room and board costs much more in percentage terms I'm constantly getting worse off than I was... if you follow
Is anything being done about it, or is it a trend set to rise?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)

To be fair, the "Armed Forces Pay Review Body" acknowledge that previous awards have been behind civilian comparators, which is why this years pay award is set above the Governments inflation indicator (i.e The Consumer Price Index).

The AFPRB also state that they've set charges for this year (accommodation amongst others) below market rates to take account of the higher percentages paid in some previous years, whilst food increases are in line with the Retail Prices Index (supposedly similar to inflation).They're proposing to keep pay comparability in real terms as a key factor when making future recommendations, so hopefully you'll see the gap narrowed/closed within a couple of years.
ricki429
Report 13 years ago
hi,
ive been watching this forum with great interest for ages so i thought i'd decide to ask a question or two?

Does anyone know anyway of still getting in the Royal Air Force as a pilot but without doing A Levels etc (or atleast sixth form and college)

Does it really matter if you can't swim - and does the RAF offer courses to swim?

Thanks
Rick
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
To be fair, the "Armed Forces Pay Review Body" acknowledge that previous awards have been behind civilian comparators, which is why this years pay award is set above the Governments inflation indicator (i.e The Consumer Price Index).

The AFPRB also state that they've set charges for this year (accommodation amongst others) below market rates to take account of the higher percentages paid in some previous years, whilst food increases are in line with the Retail Prices Index (supposedly similar to inflation).They're proposing to keep pay comparability in real terms as a key factor when making future recommendations, so hopefully you'll see the gap narrowed/closed within a couple of years.
If only it worked like that. The RPI's currently at 2.1%, so we've effectively seen our pay rise by 0.9% in real terms. However, pop back to the AFPRB's report and see what they've done with the cost of a families' quarter. Last time we had a 3% rise, they went up 6%. Similarly, the cost of my mess room speared up more than I'd like last year, and certainly more than my pay rose. Luckily, an extra year's seniority carries some more pay to make it sting less, but it's still not too nice.

Every year my pay's gone up, it's been swiftly eaten by more expensive accommodatation and more expensive (and certainly not better) food and mess charges.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Err... why don't you want to do A levels?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ricki429)
hi,
ive been watching this forum with great interest for ages so i thought i'd decide to ask a question or two?

Does anyone know anyway of still getting in the Royal Air Force as a pilot but without doing A Levels etc (or atleast sixth form and college)

Does it really matter if you can't swim - and does the RAF offer courses to swim?

Thanks
Rick

The minimum entrance requirements for pilot are posted higher up the page, so I don't think you'd be able to be a pilot without 'A'levels or an equivalent level qualification. As far as swimming goes, I'm pretty sure there's a swimming test for pilots,as they have to be able to swim for obvious reasons. That could be fairly easily remedied with a few lessons, although I'm not sure whether the RAF offer lessons to swim, but your local baths definitely will.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
If only it worked like that. The RPI's currently at 2.1%, so we've effectively seen our pay rise by 0.9% in real terms. However, pop back to the AFPRB's report and see what they've done with the cost of a families' quarter. Last time we had a 3% rise, they went up 6%. Similarly, the cost of my mess room speared up more than I'd like last year, and certainly more than my pay rose. Luckily, an extra year's seniority carries some more pay to make it sting less, but it's still not too nice.

Every year my pay's gone up, it's been swiftly eaten by more expensive accommodatation and more expensive (and certainly not better) food and mess charges.

Well obviously the report is going to paint as glossy a picture of the awards as possible, so I can only quote what they've put in there. I can't get the link to the full report, so only have the summary info provided in the RAF news. It doesn't state the percentage increase for accommodation, but does say that increases in family accommodation range from 4p a day to 71p per day for Type 1 Grade 1 quarter (don't know how this works out percentage increase wise, although I'm sure you could do it relatively easily for speciifc types/grades of officer)

For single living accommodation, the changes range from a max of 8p per day, however they drop to 6p in the worst accommodation.
Juji
Report 13 years ago
Juji, what branch are you in, and what do you do
?

Admin (Sec). I currently work in recruiting. :-)
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Juji)
?

Thanks, I'm just being nosey!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Actually, I messed that up; the RPI's 3.5% and the CPI's 1.6%. My more learned friends here assure me that they've used one to calculate our pay rise, and the other to calculate how much charges should rise.

Can you guess which? Hurrah! :rolleyes:
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Actually, I messed that up; the RPI's 3.5% and the CPI's 1.6%. My more learned friends here assure me that they've used one to calculate our pay rise, and the other to calculate how much charges should rise.

I suppose that's the same for everyone in civilian public services though, and without the slight cushion of an above inflation increase. If you look at it like that, it probably could have been worse.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Juji)
?

Oh, someone in admin!
great, prepared to be bothered by me every once in a while
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)

Would you prefer to be on the Pay as you eat system that some bases have implimented?
Although I get the feeling this could end up being dearer
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was on PAYD at my last base, and it was nice because the quality of food had to be driven up. If it was ****, we didn't eat it, and with a beautiful town packed with restaurants and pubs 5 miles away, we voted with our feet.

It was part of the contract that it couldn't be more expensive. Up until April, I pay £3.46 a day taken direct from my salary to cover breakfast and dinner. Lunch has always been PAYD, so it's an extra £2 or whatever on my monthly mess bill, but varying depending on what I eat and how many lunches I miss.

The PAYD system trial was set so that breakfast was £1 and dinner £2.46, meaning I was no worse off. However, the advantage was that they could charge me £2.46 for my "core" dinner, but put more expensive specials on. Previously, if dinner was a disaster, I had already paid £2.46 for it and now had to blow £5 on crap from the local Chinese to fill the gap. Now, if dinner was a disaster, I could opt to pay £3.46 rather than £2.46 by picking one of the more expensive options which was better.

No extra hassle, and only an extra £1 rather than an extra £5. Plus I eat in the mess I like surrounded by my friends, rather than hunched over a takeaway box in my room.

Breakfast was a bit of a faff with you only being allowed 6 items for your £1, and paying for it when I visited the same mess as a guest was a nightmare; it was a good job the staff knew me!

They've even sorted the ambience problem by removing the till from the dining room.

Biggest snag with PAYD is that it means my daily £3.46, assuming I eat two meals a day, goes direct to the contractors. Previously, my £3.46 went into a big kitty with everyone else in the forces. The beancounters dished out some to the groups running messes, and used some of the leftovers (not literally ) to pay for things like providing food for the Falklands... and people on ops... and people on dets... and paying for aircrew flying rations. Where that comes from if we go fully PAYD? Uh oh, no-one seems to have thought of that
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
I suppose that's the same for everyone in civilian public services though, and without the slight cushion of an above inflation increase. If you look at it like that, it probably could have been worse.
Yup, can't moan too much, in general I feel suitably reimbursed for my services.

What grates is the Defence Secretary standing up spraffing on about what a great job we've done this year, and how we really deserve this rise, and how proud he is. Then he gives us a fairly token rise, which is swiftly eaten up by increases in our council tax, food and accommodation charges.

Messes and families quarters used to be a perk of military life, and it doesn't really seem that way sometimes. Families quarters are a necessity; if you're going to move us every 3 years, you can't expect me to go through the house buying process on a constant loop, so you let me buy somewhere and then rent. However, they keep popping the rent up above inflation, and above the corresponding pay rise; hence you're constantly paying more for your accommodation in real terms. Now, it's still cheap, it's still reasonable, but it's a benefit slowly being eroded.

They're not doing too well with benefits right now; they've just canned the FRIs for most aircrew because they don't need to recruit. As the numbers are about right in most cadres, they think this is ok; however, a large chunk of cash coming up was all that was keeping in some old and experienced guys, who are now jumping ship. Sure, the numbers might still add up, but now you have one Fg Off first tourist replacing a Sqn Ldr 6th tourist with every qualification under the sun...

... and binning all the FRIs for ME aircrew as airline recruting begins its periodic upswing? Oh awesome move; let's see how quickly we reinstate it..!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Juji)
?

Hurrah!

I hereby hand over the baton of answering awkward policy questions which have undoubtedly changed since I worked for the careers service.

In a great mood tonight, amn't I? You can tell I've been ill......
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
They're not doing too well with benefits right now; they've just canned the FRIs for most aircrew because they don't need to recruit. As the numbers are about right in most cadres, they think this is ok; however, a large chunk of cash coming up was all that was keeping in some old and experienced guys, who are now jumping ship. Sure, the numbers might still add up, but now you have one Fg Off first tourist replacing a Sqn Ldr 6th tourist with every qualification under the sun...

... and binning all the FRIs for ME aircrew as airline recruting begins its periodic upswing? Oh awesome move; let's see how quickly we reinstate it..!

I don't understand it terribly well, but I thought they were keeping FRI 2 which covered fj pilots, fj weapon system operators and rotary wing pilots? I don't really know the difference between FRI 1 and 2?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (49)
29.52%
No - I got the required grades (96)
57.83%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (21)
12.65%

Watched Threads