Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
if you're going to move us every 3 years, you can't expect me to go through the house buying process on a constant loop, so you let me buy somewhere and then rent. However, they keep popping the rent up above inflation, and above the corresponding pay rise; hence you're constantly paying more for your accommodation in real terms. Now, it's still cheap, it's still reasonable, but it's a benefit slowly being eroded.

And because the housing market has just gone through a boom, you'll get less for your money when you do come to buy!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
FRI1 is given 5 years before your IPP (initial pension point; your 38 year old / 16 years service "38/16" point) as long as you sign up to serve until your IPP. FRI2 is given at your IPP as long as you agree to serve for another 5 years.

So at 33, you get £30000 to serve until 38, and at 38 a further £50000 to serve until 43. It's taxed at 40%, so knock that off, but it's still a very big draw.

You're right FRI2 stays for everyone other than ME pilots, but FRI1's gone for everyone. However, it seems it's been reviewed as part of a simple numbers game. We have enough ME JO pilots, so it stops; the difference between a 37 year old Flt Lt ME captain with a lot of quals and a 22 year old Fg Off ab-initio ME pilot don't seem to come into it. Hence the 37 year old guy takes his 3000 hours off to an airline recruiter for a more stable life. A lump sum might have kept his experience, but they've canned it....
Brimstone
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Hello, just like to ask, for aspiring weapons systems officers, what would a good degree course choice be?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Anything you like, enjoy, have aptitude for, takes less than 5 years, that you're even slightly good at, are likely to stick out, and provides enough time to devote a modest amount of time to your local UAS (i.e. avoid medicine...!)

Unless you find a uni which does B.Sc Weapons Systems Operation.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
provides enough time to devote a modest amount of time to your local UAS (i.e. avoid medicine...!)
:rolleyes: From what I can gather, they can fit one day/eve in a week in on average, so it's not too bad.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
True, but as aircrew he'll need to be able to pitch up during the week too
Brimstone
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Anything you like, enjoy, have aptitude for, takes less than 5 years, that you're even slightly good at, are likely to stick out, and provides enough time to devote a modest amount of time to your local UAS (i.e. avoid medicine...!)

Thanks, for the reply
James501
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)

Yep, totally agree with the above. What you got out of being at Uni and more importantly what 'extra cirricular' activites you were able to do whilst doing your degreee are questions more likley to be faced at OASC rather than the actual subject itself. Having said that however, remain reasonably sensible and dont choose a degree in Latin dance or anything strange like that!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The point of picking a subject that you enjoy is that you're more likely to do it, and you're more likely to stick it out and do it well. Then you get to impress with a 1st at the end of 3/4 years, and you'll have enjoyed your time.
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Pay as you dine? I thought it was "Save as you Starve!". If you think the cost of food is cheap, just ask yourself one question... WHY? Mass catering by the cheapest bidder. Testament to the quality of food is the number of complaints i get when doing the rounds in the Junior Ranks' dining room. I remember when I ate in the cookhouse, i would never eat anything covered in breadcrumbs, because beneath the coating was always a substantial wad of fat!

As for the quarters... if there is any truth in the rumour that the rents are going to increase to bring them in line with civilian housing, I can see retention taking a huge nosedive. One of the benefits of serving is the cheaper housing, allowing the average Joe to afford to buy a house whilst serving away from his choice of home. With a large rent increase, there will be no point in throwing dead money away, or no chance of preparing for life after the Forces.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mrjackd)
Wzz (or any other pilot), just out of interest, have you ever met a pilot on your posts around the country who does have any form of hayfever (be it mild or whatever). Obviously you may not know of course cuz they could only have it the odd day.
Yes, there's more of them around than you might think!
I'm pretty certain that it's ok to have it nowadays, but only mild cases. I know you said it's on your records, but it was a while ago, right? And if it was only mild, then prob no snags. The medics hold the hammer for this one, I'm afraid...
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Brimstone)
Hello, just like to ask, for aspiring weapons systems officers, what would a good degree course choice be?
If I had my time again, I'd go for basket-weaving. I haven't used my degree since I left uni...but then again, if I didn't get all the way through I wouldn't have had any back-up.
Up to you.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've met a lot of people very prone to "summer colds," but as dirts says just speak to the medics. If you start lying and trying to sneak it past them, that's a sure-fire way to get rejected. Just be honest, and if it's genuinely too bad for flying, that's what they'll say.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
If I had my time again, I'd go for basket-weaving. I haven't used my degree since I left uni...but then again, if I didn't get all the way through I wouldn't have had any back-up.
Up to you.
I would have taken my own advice, and done something I enjoyed
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
I would have taken my own advice, and done something I enjoyed
That's what I mean - I reckon I'd have enjoyed basket weaving more than physics! Would have had more time to do other stuff, like fly
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
That's what I mean - I reckon I'd have enjoyed basket weaving more than physics! Would have had more time to do other stuff, like fly

But it wouldn't look as good on your CV when you leave the RAF
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Dunno, 1st in basket weaving or a 3rd in nuclear physics?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Dunno, 1st in basket weaving or a 3rd in nuclear physics?
I think a pass in nuclear physics would still look more impressive than a 1st in basket weaving. Besides, are you sure you'd have got sponsorship through the RAF to do that? And the physics didn't do you any harm, did it
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
I think a pass in nuclear physics would still look more impressive than a 1st in basket weaving. Besides, are you sure you'd have got sponsorship through the RAF to do that? And the physics didn't do you any harm, did it
I wasn't sponsored! No, I'm just being facetious, I wouldn't have changed a thing.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
No, I'm just being facetious.
I know; so was I
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed