mrjackd
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Well, in my opinion, what ever degree you choose, your not gonna know if you like it untill you do it. Even if you do like it, your still gonna hate some of it. Even a subject you generally enjoy will have modules you hate. (currently doing coursework for a programmable electronic systems module )

All i can say though is that a degree will do no harm and will only help you, in all areas of life.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
As for the quarters... if there is any truth in the rumour that the rents are going to increase to bring them in line with civilian housing, I can see retention taking a huge nosedive.

The charges, for this year at least, have been set below market rates to "...reflect the disadvantages associated with living in service accommodation." And if the AFPRB do as they propose in terms of pay comparability with civilian public services, accommodation charges should remain below market rates.
Juji
Report 15 years ago
Oh, someone in admin!
great, prepared to be bothered by me every once in a while
Feel free!

(Original post by Wzz)
Hurrah!

I hereby hand over the baton of answering awkward policy questions which have undoubtedly changed since I worked for the careers service.
Only got 2 months left in this tour, then off to the Middle East again. But will do what I can in that time
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
thought these links may be of some use to candidates:

http://www.mideastweb.org (middle eastern website)
http://www.w-n.com (world news)
http://www.cidss.org (under constructive but should be online again soon)
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/ (CIA world factbook)
http://www.un.org (un homepage)
http://www.nato.int (nato homepage)
http://www.assoc-optometrists.org/se...010163352.html (has raf eyesight requirements)
http://www.rafweb.org/Index.htm (History of RAF organisation)
http://www.rafnews.co.uk (RAF news homepage)
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Does anyone know how the proposed changes to IOT will affect the SERE course? The full report isn't yet published, and the link to further info doesn't work!
Ullevi
Report 15 years ago
Hello there.

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me? I was looking at the RAF website and saw under the heading "Urgently needed" careers such as fighter controller, atc and WSOp- how accurate would this information be? I know they're desperate for gunners but thought they would've been alright for these positions mentioned.

Im really interested in being a crewman, but am planning on applying to my UAS in September and feel it might like bad if they see i've applied for this.

Any advice apppreciated!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ullevi)
Hello there.

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me? I was looking at the RAF website and saw under the heading "Urgently needed" careers such as fighter controller, atc and WSOp- how accurate would this information be? I know they're desperate for gunners but thought they would've been alright for these positions mentioned.

Im really interested in being a crewman, but am planning on applying to my UAS in September and feel it might like bad if they see i've applied for this.

Any advice apppreciated!
That information was put up 8 days ago. What would you do if you got Aircrew, would you still go into the UAS? They won't see it as a problem if you apply for more than one thing, you are encourgaged to have three choices when you make an application anyway. It shows you have thought about possible other plans and that you have an interest in the RAF as a career, not just as a job. Also, try refreshing the rafcareers page

Apparently they are looking for:

Gunner
Dental Technician
Operating Theatre Tech
Intel Analyst (Imagery)
Air Traffic Controllers
Fighter Controllers
Administrative Officers
Radiographer
Musician

I would go along to your AFCO if you are worried about getting the most up to date information.
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Argh, I hate not being able to apply atm, especially when the branch I want is actively recruiting
top_vapour
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hi there im new here....but i really want to be a commercial pilot. i know of the different ways to get in but i still need some advice. i allready fly virtually (done so for over a year now) what should i do now... i have decided on my 6th form and subjects but i dont know what to do after

thankx
James501
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by top_vapour)
Hi there im new here....but i really want to be a commercial pilot. i know of the different ways to get in but i still need some advice. i allready fly virtually (done so for over a year now) what should i do now... i have decided on my 6th form and subjects but i dont know what to do after

thankx

This is the wrong place to ask regarding becoming a commercial pilot.

See here.....

I could offer a bit of advice though:
Either:
-Win the lottery and then you will be able to afford your training!
-Have rich parents!

Good luck
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

thankx
I would advise starting your PPL as soon as possible if you want to fly commercially. It is one of the steps on the ladder and any civvy can do it. Check you phone book for the number of your local airports or airfields and ring them asking if they have a flying club where you can take PPL lessons. You will be looking at spending about £70,000 to get your full commercial license.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Argh, I hate not being able to apply atm, especially when the branch I want is actively recruiting
I did think of you when putting that down
top_vapour
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
local airports or airfields and ring them asking if they have a flying club where you can take PPL lessons. You will be looking at spending about £70,000 to get your full commercial license
there is a very local airport to me that does PPL training that i know of and it does not take long to get there. Is that the cheapest option though or do you ghave any other better suggestions??

thnx btw
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
there is a very local airport to me that does PPL training that i know of and it does not take long to get there. Is that the cheapest option though or do you ghave any other better suggestions??

thnx btw
Some airlines like easyjet offer the bank bond to pay for training and pay back through your wages route. May make things afordable for the shortish term but you could be stuck at the same airline for a very long time with only two types of aircraft to have a type certificate in.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
I did think of you when putting that down
Its the way it goes, happens all the time with me
Still nothing I can do about it except get on with what im doing atm
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

thnx btw
I would go that route. You're looking at a fairly standard rate already for private lessons, though you may get some money off if you book in blocks. It would be good to do that while at school/uni so that when you finish you can continue up the ladder and either gain sponsership or a very large overdraft
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Its the way it goes, happens all the time with me
Still nothing I can do about it except get on with what im doing atm
well it shows dedication and motivation which can only be a good thing!
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
well it shows dedication and motivation which can only be a good thing!
If im willing to spend money on a maths course then thats got to be dedicated!
I just need to sort out something for volunteering, My work has a scheme in place with the fife volunteering group that ive signed up for, but ive not done anything further about yet, i've really got to pull that finger out. Also the ATC adverts on the radio (the one with the cheesy music) keeps prodding me to do something about volunteering there too.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
If im willing to spend money on a maths course then thats got to be dedicated!
I just need to sort out something for volunteering, My work has a scheme in place with the fife volunteering group that ive signed up for, but ive not done anything further about yet, i've really got to pull that finger out. Also the ATC adverts on the radio (the one with the cheesy music) keeps prodding me to do something about volunteering there too.
I volunteer with the RSPCA at the minute and it's quite easily to get involved on a small scale, you just turn up. As for the ATC, I'm looking into that too actually though I sent away for the information pack and have still heard nothing Maybe its time for a trip down to AFCO or something.
ricki429
Report 15 years ago
soz but going back to the 'basket weaving' thing - i know someone at 47sqn and 30sqn and both said that most of the pilots done say a degree in farming (agriculture) but still got in to the RAF, so i assume its easier to attend a UAS if u dont do much complicated theory work then. Because many ppl iv met say they never had much time for the UAS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads