The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Scorg
It was strange for me, 2 years ago, while I was still at uni, was starting to become disalusioned with the IT sector having worked in it before going to uni so I decided to try and workout what else interests me and see where my options go with that. I had never been the pro active type either but I had always an interest into the military with events that are happening and equipment they are using, it slowly kept creeping into mind, what about the forces until it became the only career I really wish to persue now.

Most of my family are forces so I grew up hearing about things like how my grandad fought in Malaysia. I was always awed by it and my mum tells me that I told her from the age of 5 that I was going to join the air force after I saw a red arrows display. :redface: My parents weren't too keen on the idea but the rest of my family talked them round and now both of my brothers and my sister and looking into the forces as a career. :smile:
Scorg
fluffy bunnies? only when they are providing the easter eggs :biggrin: Although they are a bit of a menace around here, there are a massive amount of wild ones in the area which end up being featured in the local papers every so often after distroying a crop of one of the local farmers.

Never thought about homeless shelter, there is one in my town center, right next door to thomas cook of all places.

Something ive seen at work about getting involved with the companies youth action fund committee which could be good to get involved with.

also, shock horror :eek: IT buddies needed over in lothian, bit of a trek but it maybe good to put some skills I obtained to use for once :redface:

There is alot on offer and my company im with seem really keen for us to be involved.

I can't believe you're still up! :biggrin:

IT buddies sounds good, you would be combining what you enjoy with working with people and it would reflect positivly on you.

I haven't volunteered with the homeless yet but I should think it would be very worthwhile.
Reply 3482
BlackHawk
Most of my family are forces so I grew up hearing about things like how my grandad fought in Malaysia. I was always awed by it and my mum tells me that I told her from the age of 5 that I was going to join the air force after I saw a red arrows display. :redface: MY parents weren't too keen on the idea but the rest of my family talked them round and now both of my brothers and my sister and looking into the forces as a career. :smile:

My father and my grandfather are ex forces. Father being ex army while grandad was ex raf and army. Ive had the stories of the different places they have been and of the excersizes my fathers been on. My perents and grandperents have never tried to persuade or disuade me from any type of job or career and let me make my own choices. So its nice to know im doing this as I want to rather then anyone else wishing me to.

My mum commented that when I was about 5 or so that everyone thought I would end up being an officer, as I was being mr bossy ordering everyone around :redface:
Scorg

My mum commented that when I was about 5 or so that everyone thought I would end up being an officer, as I was being mr bossy ordering everyone around :redface:

:eek: I got that too. I was always told to 'stop playing the leader' and that I should stop being bossy. I wonder how many other people applying for officer got told that! lol :smile:
Reply 3484
BlackHawk
I can't believe you're still up! :biggrin:

IT buddies sounds good, you would be combining what you enjoy with working with people and it would reflect positivly on you.

I haven't volunteered with the homeless yet but I should think it would be very worthwhile.

my excuse is I got in from work at 1:30 am and im still on melbourne time after the F1 :wink:
this used to be my report writing time while at uni as well :wink:
whats your reason? :smile:

Well that was how I was thinking about it, as well as that, willing to travel the distance considering its probably an 80 mile round trip from here.

Good luck if you do volunteer to work at the homeless shelter, should make an experence to learn from

maybe it is a good idea to go to bed, I keep saying I will for the past half hour, oops :smile:
Scorg
my excuse is I got in from work at 1:30 am and im still on melbourne time after the F1 :wink:
this used to be my report writing time while at uni as well :wink:
whats your reason? :smile:

Well that was how I was thinking about it, as well as that, willing to travel the distance considering its probably an 80 mile round trip from here.

Good luck if you do volunteer to work at the homeless shelter, should make an experence to learn from

maybe it is a good idea to go to bed, I keep saying I will for the past half hour, oops :smile:

Ah yes I remember getting locked in the library a few times after staying too late! :redface:

I am suffering from insomnia. :frown: I haven't been able to shake it all week no matter what I do. Last night I had about 3 hours sleep. I'm getting quite tired now though so I shall head off to my bed I think.
BlackHawk
I As for the ATC, I'm looking into that too actually though I sent away for the information pack and have still heard nothing :frown: Maybe its time for a trip down to AFCO or something.

Ring your local Wing HQ. Numbers are avilable on the ACO Website. The trouble is the hand-offs. You register an interest at HQ ATC, they ring the Wing HQ in your area, who in turn alert the nearest Squadron. They are then supposed to send you out a pack...

1. Assuming they have some left. (each Sqn was issued with 20)
2. Assuming they get the message
3. Assuming they have got the spare money to post packs out. (Sqns got no direct funding for this)

If all else fails, PM me. I have a contact who has got some. I don't mind sending you one.
Reply 3487
I have my filter interview at AFCO a week today (next monday).
I am just brushing up on my knowledge of aircraft and weapons, but wonder if anyone can offer an insight into how much detail I am likely to need to know ?

Working my way through the Aircraft and Weapons booklet given at the presenation, there is soooo much information, I dont think I have any change of learning it all... am I just worrying too much, or do I really need to know everything about each aircraft ?
:confused:
ricurtis
I have my filter interview at AFCO a week today (next monday).
I am just brushing up on my knowledge of aircraft and weapons, but wonder if anyone can offer an insight into how much detail I am likely to need to know ?

Working my way through the Aircraft and Weapons booklet given at the presenation, there is soooo much information, I dont think I have any change of learning it all... am I just worrying too much, or do I really need to know everything about each aircraft ?
:confused:

I have my interview coming up to. Learn the aircraft that will affect the job you are going for, what role they play (offensive, defensive, recce, etc) where they are based, if they are due to be replaced and many have a peek at the squadrons. Also if they are new aurcraft (Typhoon, JSF, Sentinel, etc) It wouldn't hurt to know who manufactured them.
Reply 3489
Do you think that when you first contact the AFCO its best to have your mind set on one particular career in the RAF and let them advise you to choose some other things you might be interested in as well, or is best to walk in there being interested in a few different areas from the start?

Im asking because if you walk in there with a few different interests already then they might think you havnt researched any of them well enough to decide on one.
mrjackd
Do you think that when you first contact the AFCO its best to have your mind set on one particular career in the RAF and let them advise you to choose some other things you might be interested in as well, or is best to walk in there being interested in a few different areas from the start?

Im asking because if you walk in there with a few different interests already then they might think you havnt researched any of them well enough to decide on one.
I think it is best to have basic knowledge on the main branch that you are interested in, but some idea of other branches. You should also be open minded about what they have to say. Nothing that can't be found on http://www.rafcareers.co.uk Knowing about different branches, even vaguely shows you are interested, and they aren't expecting you to go in knowing everything as they are there to give you advice and information.
Reply 3491
BlackHawk
I think it is best to have basic knowledge on the main branch that you are interested in, but some idea of other branches. You should also be open minded about what they have to say. Nothing that can't be found on http://www.rafcareers.co.uk Knowing about different branches, even vaguely shows you are interested, and they aren't expecting you to go in knowing everything as they are there to give you advice and information.

Yea, i should be fine on information really, i've read the whole of the RAF careers website and the whole of this thread, plus information from elsewhere on the selection process.

I just wanted to know how people thought it best to present yourself. As having an interest in a few things or act like you only want one thing and let them lead you into looking at other options.
Reply 3492
mrjackd

This sort of post really gets my goat; look, it's not a game! The AFCOs do carry out the first stage of assessment, but it's not like they're going to reject you because you turned up for your first visit unshaven or something. You're not an officer yet!

When you first contact an AFCO, it's best to have in your mind what jobs you're interested in. Nobody gives a **** whether you're keen on one job or four; THEY'RE THERE TO ADVISE YOU! That's the whole point; they're part of the armed forces careers information service!

Go in and tell them you're vaguely interested in anything and they'll try and help. Tell them you're interested in 5 jobs and they'll help you pick which to apply for. Tell them you only want 1 and they might try and show you a few you haven't thought of, but if you want to apply for just one no-one'll stop you!!!!!

If you're going to take this ridiculous, analytical attitude to your application then I suggest you stick it in the bin now and give up. With this sort of plan you'll never survive the next stage anyway.
Reply 3493
Bit harsh, mate, just like everybody else here, he's just concerned about not making any mistakes! You're right though... (not about sticking the application in the bin, the other bits)
Reply 3494
It is a bit frustrating, I'm sorry. The AFCO make sensible initial judgements; and if you arrive with some daft idea about having them "lead" you to the right jobs then you'll look like a moron!

You can't make mistakes when just turning up to enquire; which is what I was trying to get across, as I'm sure you know.
Reply 3495
he's just worried over that first impression, as I think someone said in the past they note practically everything you do from your first visit onwards.

I know from my experence, I already had my mind set on the branch so I wasnt concerned over that.
I knew where I was lacking already (being a former IT dude you could guess where :rolleyes: )and the corporal advised me on other area's to work upon before putting the application in. Area's I had no idea about or thought about before. Eye opening but long term beneficial really.
Reply 3496
Wzz
It is a bit frustrating, I'm sorry. The AFCO make sensible initial judgements; and if you arrive with some daft idea about having them "lead" you to the right jobs then you'll look like a moron!

You can't make mistakes when just turning up to enquire; which is what I was trying to get across, as I'm sure you know.

No doubt what you've said is correct. However, the reason i asked the question about whether its a good idea to already seem interested in more than one area of the RAF is explained in the two posts i made. If someone had replied saying "they might think your not really that interested in any of your choices, if you havnt been able to single one out yourself" then if i had gone along to the AFCO and made this mistake then although it isnt an interview at that stage, im sure they would remember me when i did have an interview (may not be the same person etc... but it could be).

So yea, thats why i asked. I'd probably have done what i thought best anyway, but i thought i may as well get other peoples opinions/experiences first.

Besides, i think its better to do as much research on the subject as possible, so that when i turn up i know as much about what to expect as possible without having done it myself).

I already have my answer now (it confirmed what i believed myself to be the case). So yea, Wzz, thanx for taking your time to post a reply to my question, its just a shame you don't empathise with my reasons for asking.
Reply 3497
mrjackd

Besides, i think its better to do as much research on the subject as possible, so that when i turn up i know as much about what to expect as possible without having done it myself).

That's fine, but remember that the AFCO really don't require you to know much about anything before you turn up and announce your interest. They are there to help you, so treat them as such and you will learn everything you need to know.

Turn up punctually, smartly dressed, be polite and enthusiastic and you can't go far wrong; they are very nice people.
Reply 3498
mrjackd
No doubt what you've said is correct. However, the reason i asked the question about whether its a good idea to already seem interested in more than one area of the RAF is explained in the two posts i made. If someone had replied saying "they might think your not really that interested in any of your choices, if you havnt been able to single one out yourself" then if i had gone along to the AFCO and made this mistake then although it isnt an interview at that stage, im sure they would remember me when i did have an interview (may not be the same person etc... but it could be).

Apologies for being harsh. I seem to get a lot of emails from people who think it's some sort of big game; "if I wear a blue tie will that help at my first P2 presentation?" or "what are they looking for when I phone up to ask for info packs?" are surprisingly typical questions.

Using your example above, no-one's replied like that because it just doesn't happen. The AFCO people are recruiters first and selectors second. If you go along unshaven, badly dressed, with long hair, and no idea at all about the RAF they'll still happily guide you, advise you, and give you all the information they can. They'll help you with whatever you need to decide what branches you'd be interested in.

Your interview starts when you walk through the office commander's door a couple of weeks after. Then, if you're unshaven, badly dressed, rude or whatever, it counts against you. Before that, it's their job to get you interested. There are no points to be scored at that stage.

mrjackd
So yea, thats why i asked. I'd probably have done what i thought best anyway, but i thought i may as well get other peoples opinions/experiences first.

By all means listen to peoples' opinions relating to interviews and OASC, but there really is no game to play with regards to what you're interested in. The only subjective answer to your original question I can think of is that it's good to be keen on a few branches so that an aptitude test or medical fail in the future doesn't mean you're rapidly reading up on new branches and wondering if you should stay on for the next selection stage.

mrjackd
I already have my answer now (it confirmed what i believed myself to be the case). So yea, Wzz, thanx for taking your time to post a reply to my question, its just a shame you don't empathise with my reasons for asking.

That's because your reasons were, quite simply, utterly wrong. There are no cameras watching your behaviour at the door. There're no secret videos of you sitting in a waiting room to study what you do. There's no secret codewords to say, there's no specific things you should express an interest in to look good.

If you want to join and you want a good career, research every branch. Make a list of all you're interested in and go along and ask about them. Take all the literature away and read it. Then make a list of all the ones you'd be happy doing for a lengthy career, and apply to those.
Reply 3499
...but don't forget to salute on your way out. :wink:

Latest