RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ThomA2)
...but don't forget to salute on your way out.
and then get a b.ollocking?
mrjackd
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
...but don't forget to salute on your way out.
hahaha, id love to see someone do a rimmer extra long salute from Red Dwarf.
mrjackd
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Apologies for being harsh. I seem to get a lot of emails from people who think it's some sort of big game; "if I wear a blue tie will that help at my first P2 presentation?" or "what are they looking for when I phone up to ask for info packs?" are surprisingly typical questions.

Using your example above, no-one's replied like that because it just doesn't happen. The AFCO people are recruiters first and selectors second. If you go along unshaven, badly dressed, with long hair, and no idea at all about the RAF they'll still happily guide you, advise you, and give you all the information they can. They'll help you with whatever you need to decide what branches you'd be interested in.

Your interview starts when you walk through the office commander's door a couple of weeks after. Then, if you're unshaven, badly dressed, rude or whatever, it counts against you. Before that, it's their job to get you interested. There are no points to be scored at that stage.

By all means listen to peoples' opinions relating to interviews and OASC, but there really is no game to play with regards to what you're interested in. The only subjective answer to your original question I can think of is that it's good to be keen on a few branches so that an aptitude test or medical fail in the future doesn't mean you're rapidly reading up on new branches and wondering if you should stay on for the next selection stage.

That's because your reasons were, quite simply, utterly wrong. There are no cameras watching your behaviour at the door. There're no secret videos of you sitting in a waiting room to study what you do. There's no secret codewords to say, there's no specific things you should express an interest in to look good.

If you want to join and you want a good career, research every branch. Make a list of all you're interested in and go along and ask about them. Take all the literature away and read it. Then make a list of all the ones you'd be happy doing for a lengthy career, and apply to those.
Yea, I do agree with you. I surpose I knew the answer to my question anyway, I just asked it to see if anyone thought differently.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ffs :rolleyes: someone is going to come on here and think you are serious about the saluting boys.
mrjackd
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
ffs
Whats the matter?

EDIT: You've edited now anyway, lol, i think my post about doing the red dwarf thing shows people both posts are a joke.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mrjackd)
Whats the matter?

EDIT: You've edited now anyway, lol, i think my post about doing the red dwarf thing shows people both posts are a joke.
we can only hope :p:
ThomA2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My local AFCO CO told me that a sense of humour is towards the top of the list for potential officers. Not that saluting like Arnie 'Iron Balls' would be a suitable joke.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wzz, you need to empty your mail box; I can't reply to your PM!
wizzcidd
Report 13 years ago
hey guys
had my eyes tested today and was chuft to find i had 6/5 vision, u c i was a bit woried cos when i was younger i had a lazy eye also my dad was coulor blind so im relived :marchmell
dunno wot i would have don if i couldnt b pilot :rolleyes:
hey this forum is geting huge.ceep up the good work
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by wizzcidd)
dunno wot i would have don if i couldnt b pilot :rolleyes:
hey this forum is geting huge.ceep up the good work
You might want to brush up on your English a little before you are
mrjackd
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
You might want to brush up on your English a little before you are
I was actually wandering if this guy made those mistakes on purpose, they are so blatent.
ThomA2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
wondering
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mrjackd)
I was actually wandering if this guy made those mistakes on purpose, they are so blatent.
Yes, they are quite blatant, so I was wondering if he was just using text speak
mrjackd
Report 13 years ago
wondering
No, i was actually going by an indirect route and at no set pace while thinking about it. lol

But yes, I think i probably should have checked over that post before sending it.
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
sorry, I is confuzzed... is dis reely the speling bee thred?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
sorry, I is confuzzed... is dis reely the speling bee thred?

Yeah, and you need to join it badly!!
Prospect
Report 13 years ago
Hi guys,

Firstly, well done to everyone on making this the longest thread I have ever seen! I remember coming across this back when it started, when I first looked at becoming an officer in the RAF. (Wzz... I still have you added to MSN, amazing amount of effort you put into this, great)

Secondly, I do not wish to stray too far from the original topic, furthermore, bring up a topic already discussed. However due to the nature of the thread (117? pages!) I do not have time to sift through it all. My querie is, have any of you "Potential Raf Pilots" looked at the navy as an alternative, with being a pilot still in mind?

I am not trying to plug the Navy here, but I am looking at it as a possible option for a military career as a pilot, and am simply wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this. Advantages? Disadvantages? Difficulty in comparison with the RAF.... etc etc etc.

I hasten to add, if this topic has been brought up before, please disregard all I have said/ :-D
Prospect
Report 13 years ago
Edit (177 pages)
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Got my chemistry results back today. I got 98% , although someone got 100%, so I'd better pull my socks up for the summer modules :rolleyes:

:dancing: :dancing2:
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Prospect)
Hi guys,

Firstly, well done to everyone on making this the longest thread I have ever seen! I remember coming across this back when it started, when I first looked at becoming an officer in the RAF. (Wzz... I still have you added to MSN, amazing amount of effort you put into this, great)

Secondly, I do not wish to stray too far from the original topic, furthermore, bring up a topic already discussed. However due to the nature of the thread (117? pages!) I do not have time to sift through it all. My querie is, have any of you "Potential Raf Pilots" looked at the navy as an alternative, with being a pilot still in mind?

I am not trying to plug the Navy here, but I am looking at it as a possible option for a military career as a pilot, and am simply wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this. Advantages? Disadvantages? Difficulty in comparison with the RAF.... etc etc etc.

I hasten to add, if this topic has been brought up before, please disregard all I have said/ :-D
I would look at the FAA. However one of the disadvantages is that you go away to sea a lot. I am told that the novelty wears off pretty quickly. I hear the FAA are recruiting pilots now though. Stress the word hear but it would be worth checking out.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.59%
No (554)
60.95%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.46%

Watched Threads