RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just back from Boulmer and it was interesting. If anyone is interested in Fighter Control I would recommend a visit. I was allowed down into the CRC bunker to have a look in on some live exercises and had the chance to listen in to Valley, Leeming and Leuchars sorties. I also had a go on the sims which was an eye opener, as well as chatting to the flyers. Considering it was put together at the last minute by my AFCO it was excellent. However its not flying. I listened in but couldn't take my mind off what the aircarft were doing, how it would be to fly it, etc. So after a long think I think I will hold my application to the RAF for a little while. After all I have one more shot at pilot and even though its almost impossible to get, I would be stupid not to try. I think I would regret it a hell of a lot if I never tried. I let Cranwell tell me if I'm good enough for them.
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
Just back from Boulmer and it was interesting. If anyone is interested in Fighter Control I would recommend a visit. I was allowed down into the CRC bunker to have a look in on some live exercises and had the chance to listen in to Valley, Leeming and Leuchars sorties. I also had a go on the sims which was an eye opener, as well as chatting to the flyers. Considering it was put together at the last minute by my AFCO it was excellent. However its not flying. I listened in but couldn't take my mind off what the aircarft were doing, how it would be to fly it, etc. So after a long think I think I will hold my application to the RAF for a little while. After all I have one more shot at pilot and even though its almost impossible to get, I would be stupid not to try. I think I would regret it a hell of a lot if I never tried. I let Cranwell tell me if I'm good enough for them.
It sounds interesting to say the least. Afco set that up for you? Tell me more please
I take it you decided to try go for RAF entry now rather then later, hence the site visit?
But if you want to delay a bit and go for pilot, go for it, nothing to loose and everything to gain by it
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Got my chemistry results back today. I got 98% , although someone got 100%, so I'd better pull my socks up for the summer modules :rolleyes:

:dancing: :dancing2:
98% not good enough! :rolleyes:
I never got that often, in fact I got 10% in an exam once after having the worst morning ever (and that was before even leaving fife to get to dundee), thankfully my course work was good so I got an overall pass in that subject
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
It sounds interesting to say the least. Afco set that up for you? Tell me more please
I take it you decided to try go for RAF entry now rather then later, hence the site visit?
But if you want to delay a bit and go for pilot, go for it, nothing to loose and everything to gain by it
I went into the AFCO and said I was interested in learning more about FC and they asked if I had been to Boulmer, since I haven't they arranged in only a week, which was pretty good. They can arrange visits to most bases

I did look at RAF DE and I will do it asap, which is OASC around December for Pilot. I just need to know if I can do it or not. Fighter Controller will definatly been one of my three choices though. Until then I am debating what to do with myself! I'm going to try to speak to my tutor again in a last ditch effort but if he is sticking by what he said before then I'll hopefully start an OU course. (I hear they have an air squadron :p: ) I'm going to follow advice and look at becoming an adult instructor for the air cadets and I'm looking at volunteering 4 hours a week as a special constable.
Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
98% not good enough! :rolleyes:

I know, I know, I dropped a mark;shocking. It actually equates to 98.8% (Don't ask. It's the way 'uniform marks' are worked out! :rolleyes: ) I promise to try harder for the summer exams

Thanks
ThomA2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Did you go out on the base booze-up in Alnwick?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ThomA2)
Did you go out on the base booze-up in Alnwick?
nope, that would be tomorrow night :p: I've got other things to see to this weekend otherwise it may have been fun. You been to Boulmer then?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'll let Cranwell tell me if I'm good enough for them.
Hurrah! Someone trusts them at last
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Hurrah! Someone trusts them at last
Trust is such a strong word..... :p:
ThomA2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Indeed I have, had an excellent time up there. Although waiting on the train platform in the biting wind for 50 minutes wasn't particularly enjoyable.

FC was my first choice going into OASC, but medical reasons meant I wasn't suitable so sadly I had to change. I'm happy about that though which is somewhat perturbing, but I'll get over it

Good luck with FC, I believe they are crying out for capable Weapons Controllers since the chop rate is so high.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Indeed I have, had an excellent time up there. Although waiting on the train platform in the biting wind for 50 minutes wasn't particularly enjoyable.

FC was my first choice going into OASC, but medical reasons meant I wasn't suitable so sadly I had to change. I'm happy about that though which is somewhat perturbing, but I'll get over it

Good luck with FC, I believe they are crying out for capable Weapons Controllers since the chop rate is so high.
It was lovely and sunny for me :p:

Weapons would be my choice and they are desperate for FCs at the moment. Although I really like the idea of 1ACC. Now that would be a good job. What was wrong medically? What are you going for now? I think my choices are 1.Pilot 2.FC 3.Aircrew bit iffy on the order of 1 and 2 though lol
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Prospect)
(Wzz... I still have you added to MSN, amazing amount of effort you put into this, great)
Thanks. Are you above the rank of Wg Cdr? If so, I'll tell you where I work, and you can stick it on my OJAR

My querie is, have any of you "Potential Raf Pilots" looked at the navy as an alternative, with being a pilot still in mind?
I'd rather slice important bits of my anatomy off. The FAA's for people who fancy being a Naval officer first and a pilot utterly second. If you want to be a pilot, why not pick the Royal AIR Force? Fly Sea Harriers, Sea Kings and Lynxes; or GR4, Harrier, Jag, F3, Herc, Tristar, VC10, C17, 125, 146, Chinook, Puma, Sea King, Typhoon (maybe!), etc etc......... there's five times as many options in the FJ stream alone!

Disadvantages? Difficulty in comparison with the RAF.... etc etc etc.
Disadvantages? They have no jets
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I went into the AFCO and said I was interested in learning more about FC and they asked if I had been to Boulmer, since I haven't they arranged in only a week, which was pretty good. They can arrange visits to most bases
its that simple? :eek:
Just to say your interested in a branch and you'd like to know more?

I did look at RAF DE and I will do it asap, which is OASC around December for Pilot. I just need to know if I can do it or not. Fighter Controller will definatly been one of my three choices though. Until then I am debating what to do with myself! I'm going to try to speak to my tutor again in a last ditch effort but if he is sticking by what he said before then I'll hopefully start an OU course. (I hear they have an air squadron :p: ) I'm going to follow advice and look at becoming an adult instructor for the air cadets and I'm looking at volunteering 4 hours a week as a special constable.
So uni Tutor being a pain over the matter still?
If DE is the way you want to go now, volunteering makes for a good plan (and I still need to pull the finger out there )

On a more somber note I see there has been an announcement (be it by the bbc) about losses at lossie, kinloss at 1000 between them and 160 from leuchers
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
its that simple? :eek:
Just to say your interested in a branch and you'd like to know more?

So uni Tutor being a pain over the matter still?
If DE is the way you want to go now, volunteering makes for a good plan (and I still need to pull the finger out there )

On a more somber note I see there has been an announcement about losses at lossie, kinloss at 1000 between them and 160 from leuchers
yep its that simple! Just ask for a base visit and they will take care of it and give you a rail warrant.

Uni tutor is being a major pain. I even tried getting him to talk to my engineering tutors who wrote saying I was an outstanding student but he didn't listen. I think he is more worried about the department than a single student.

As for volunteering check out http://www.yearofthevolunteer.org for places in your area. I love the idea of doing some work with the police as it directly affects my community and I will learn skills and some degree of leadership.

Ahh cuts will it ever end. Its the worst time to be applying.
ThomA2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It was lovely and sunny for me :p:

Weapons would be my choice and they are desperate for FCs at the moment. Although I really like the idea of 1ACC. Now that would be a good job. What was wrong medically? What are you going for now? I think my choices are 1.Pilot 2.FC 3.Aircrew bit iffy on the order of 1 and 2 though lol
1ACC did look good, though they couldn't even get a PC working when I was visiting.

Something about my right eye was wrong. I could let you know the results and requirements but I don't have them to hand right now.

I opted for Engineering and Supply.

(Original post by Scorg)
its that simple?
You will need to pass the filter interview first I expect. But yes, I was sent all over the place without having asked. I found the FVs very useful; I prepared for them when there was no need, but found that doing so gave me more confidence in asking intelligent questions than those who were going in blind.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yep its that simple! Just ask for a base visit and they will take care of it and give you a rail warrant.
Oh, ok, time to go persue that I think its really the sort of thing ive got to be doing this year.
Got to be a rail warrent? not an option to take a car?

Uni tutor is being a major pain. I even tried getting him to talk to my engineering tutors who wrote saying I was an outstanding student but he didn't listen. I think he is more worried about the department than a single student.
is your tutor your personal one or the head of the course or the school? i'd be inclined to esculate it higher. See if the uni elected council can help in anyway.
I changed courses after 2nd year at uni, was doing an internet course within the engineering Department (which moved to comuting dept the year after) which was a complete joke. The head of the School had the blinkers on completly over this course and wouldnt take any feedback given. Personal tutor was listening and understanding over it all and he ok'ed the transfer for me. I wasnt the only one, friend of mines made the same choice and we happened to move to the same course.

As for volunteering check out http://www.yearofthevolunteer.org for places in your area. I love the idea of doing some work with the police as it directly affects my community and I will learn skills and some degree of leadership.
Ive heard that site promoted at work, which i've not looked at yet, but will definetly take a look. Work decided to create their own site for this, but if both sites are linked to say volunteering fife/lothian then works ones probably just their rewrite.
On now looking at yearofthevolunteer.org I can see its listing different things from my works one, Thats giving more options

Ahh cuts will it ever end. Its the worst time to be applying.
Yeah, except they want my trade atm :mad:
Cuts in some area's, recruiting in others.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This is something ive been wondering and not come across so far. how does the RAF handle its IT requirements. I know the Navy has Information Systems personal but ive not seen anything like this for the RAF listed
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You will need to pass the filter interview first I expect.
Nope
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

You will need to pass the filter interview first I expect. But yes, I was sent all over the place without having asked. I found the FVs very useful; I prepared for them when there was no need, but found that doing so gave me more confidence in asking intelligent questions than those who were going in blind.
Ahh, thats a bit of a bugger if thats the case
They wont entertain me for an interview yet due to a few things they want me to do first.
I'll chase it up anyway, give them a phonecall and see what they say about it
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Ahh, thats a bit of a bugger if thats the case
They wont entertain me for an interview yet due to a few things they want me to do first.
I'll chase it up anyway, give them a phonecall and see what they say about it

I must admit, my AFCO didn't arrange base visits for people until after filter interviews, although they may well do if you ask. Anyway, you don't need them to do it, just get in touch yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (38)
14.67%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (37)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
20.85%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (98)
37.84%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (14)
5.41%
No particular grades needed (18)
6.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise