Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    My point wasn't along those lines. You're spot on that being a doctor is more important to most military doctors than specifically being in the military. But if you're not remotely interested in the RAF and what it does, especially its primary role, why would you join?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    My point wasn't along those lines. You're spot on that being a doctor is more important to most military doctors than specifically being in the military. But if you're not remotely interested in the RAF and what it does, especially its primary role, why would you join?

I think I have a very healthy interest in the RAF and the miltary way of life, and have a reasonable knowledge of both. I don't think some branches need to know the technical level of detail of aircraft or weapons to demonstrate that. :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by medic_bex)
    there are loads of reasons; you work in a challenging environment; there's a real sense of community and comraderie that's conspicuous by its absence in modern medicine; and you get to make a difference to people's lives in a much wider context than in the nhs. i'm definitley interested in the roles of the raf, but having to learn the spec. for a harrier is a little much, in my opinion.

still, there's no hope of a commission unless i play by the rules is there?
    For me being an officer in the airforce comes first, but thats me.

I also had a long drawn out version of this similar to what Wzz was saying and deleted it by mistake

ReputationRep:
    i'll be responsible for keeping people alive, not killing them, and medicine is much more of a vocation than that of a military officer.

But our primary role is to ensure our military personnel are able to undertake their roles, which may involve them killing people. And we'd have some military training through the SERE course, which we'd be expected to use if the situation arose. I don't think the MO role is that black and white; because by suporting officers to fly and fight, and therefore indirectly responsible or involved in any killngs as well.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    I think I have a very healthy interest in the RAF and the miltary way of life, and have a reasonable knowledge of both. I don't think some branches need to know the technical level of detail of aircraft or weapons to demonstrate that. :rolleyes:
    Fair; and you'll notice that you're unlikely to have failed your interview on this subject

It's down to the way the interviewing works. They're not expecting you to know the technical details, and they won't give a stuff if you fail to answer. But, it's the way the interviewers determine depth of knowledge. They push until you can't answer, and then they can write down what an above-average level of aircraft knowledge you have for a medic. It's not that they're disappointed you didn't know the specifics of the change from Harrier GR7 to GR9, it's just the next question on the list
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    still, there's no hope of a commission unless i play by the rules is there?
    There's no hope of one if you think there's a big list of rules to blindly obey They're quite happy for you to have your own views and personality, as long as you're not barking...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Fair; and you'll notice that you're unlikely to have failed your interview on this subject

It's down to the way the interviewing works. They're not expecting you to know the technical details, and they won't give a stuff if you fail to answer. But, it's the way the interviewers determine depth of knowledge. They push until you can't answer, and then they can write down what an above-average level of aircraft knowledge you have for a medic. It's not that they're disappointed you didn't know the specifics of the change from Harrier GR7 to GR9, it's just the next question on the list

O.k fair points.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wzz)
    There's no hope of one if you think there's a big list of rules to blindly obey They're quite happy for you to have your own views and personality, as long as you're not barking...!
    not strictly speaking true given some people I've met! :p:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    i think that there was something in the geneva convention about doctors in the military having a right to protect their patient with leathal force and it not contradicting the hippocratic oath. like a post-dated loop hole. but they'd have to be really short staffed to let the doctors, dentists and other professionals handle weapons offensively, like pilots or engineers are trained to.

i think they train us more so we can disarm a loaded weapon incase we accidentally shoot ourselves or the patient whilst trying to treat them.
    yes but remember you are joining a fighting force whos primary role is to defend the UKs airspace. It makes sense to have every serving member of the RAF competant in handling and using weaponry

ReputationRep:
    i think that there was something in the geneva convention about doctors in the military having a right to protect their patient with leathal force and it not contradicting the hippocratic oath. like a post-dated loop hole. but they'd have to be really short staffed to let the doctors, dentists and other professionals handle weapons offensively, like pilots or engineers are trained to.

i think they train us more so we can disarm a loaded weapon incase we accidentally shoot ourselves or the patient whilst trying to treat them.

I agree. However, i wasn't referring to patients, I meant keeping personnel fit to do their job. So we'd be a bit naive to say we're not partially assisting (however indirectly) in any kilings that take place.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    they'd have to be really short staffed to let the doctors, dentists and other professionals handle weapons offensively, like pilots or engineers are trained to.

Pretty much true, I guess. You'll know how to handle a weapon because you're likely to come into contact with them. As Blackhawk says though, you're joining the military; so you need to have some basic military skills at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    you're joining the military; so you need to have some basic military skills at the end of the day.

agreed.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    you've got a point. its one of those ethical conundrums they get us to mull over with the sole intention of making our brains hurt. i prefer not to think about it too much
    But you will be involved in it everyday in different forms. How are you going to feel if you get depolyed to a war zone? Or if you are out on patrol with ground troops or even moving from base with troops and are forced to use a weapon against another person?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    in practice, you'd follow your training, or at least i would, but seeing as MOs only deal with aeromedical evacuation in the field, something would have had to have gone seriously wrong for me to be in that situation
    sorry for the misunderstanding

To say you may not come across it though.....never say never! :p: I think it would be quite an intense and interesting situation. I know of a navy MO who nearly got himself killed moving from one base to another out in Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    you've got a point. its one of those ethical conundrums they get us to mull over with the sole intention of making our brains hurt. i prefer not to think about it too much

I know what you mean, it's not an easy one. Although you probably should mull it over a bit, as it's very likely to come up as a question at Cranwell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Not very common; having sat near an ATC type and a dentist at a dining-in once, a lot of blunties embarrass me with their knowledge of RAF kit, past and present!
    Hmm, the type that would mistake a Victor for a Vulcan, a Valiant for a Gnat and a Jaguar for a hawk?

and got to add, I always miss out on the discussions it seems while at work, bah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    Hmm, the type that would mistake a Victor for a Vulcan, a Valiant for a Gnat and a Jaguar for a hawk?

and got to add, I always miss out on the discussions it seems while at work, bah!
    Well, you are posting at 2am, lol, i always find its rare to find anyone on here at this time. Maybe its just cuz im a student and i dont yet have to get up early in the morning.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Scorg)
    surely not!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrjackd)
    Well, you are posting at 2am, lol, i always find its rare to find anyone on here at this time. Maybe its just cuz im a student and i dont yet have to get up early in the morning.
    Im the former student that cant get into a daily get up early thing yet
    and that I managed to get a job that works 5pm till 1am
    Missed the discussion, but it suits my sleeping pattern at least
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm begining to see a trend occuring. Hello again :p:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.