RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
No no, they embarrass me; they know more than I do! I can probably manage most of the above, but a lot of blunties are more aviation enthusiasts than pilots.
Ahh, I see, I took that to mean they didnt really have a clue
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Only if you're writing down differences
she's looking to see what one has the Raptor pod fitted
ricurtis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I just got back from my filter interview at AFCO.
Not really sure how it went - I was able to answer all of the questions given to me without any problems, but was not given any feedback. That will apparently follow by post in 5-7 days.

I am not sure if that is a good thing - I was under the impression that you got feedback strsaight away so at the moment, I dont know if I will be put forward for OASC or not - the fact I was not told either way makes me think I will be unsuccessful - but I dont want to be negative yet.

One thing that I think will go against me is that in the last 2 years since leaving uni, I havent been involved in any clubs or anything so have no leadership or teamwork to speak of

Only time will tell I guess - fingers crossed !

Will post back when I know.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ricurtis)
Not really sure how it went - I was able to answer all of the questions given to me without any problems, but was not given any feedback. That will apparently follow by post in 5-7 days.

I am not sure if that is a good thing - I was under the impression that you got feedback strsaight away so at the moment, I dont know if I will be put forward for OASC or not - the fact I was not told either way makes me think I will be unsuccessful - but I dont want to be negative yet.

One thing that I think will go against me is that in the last 2 years since leaving uni, I havent been involved in any clubs or anything so have no leadership or teamwork to speak of

I wouldn't worry too much about not getting feedback; I didn't either. From what others have said, it seems to vary depending on the AFCO you go to. I didn't get feedback through the post either. Just got a letter from Cranwell about 3 weeks later inviting me to attend OASC.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
ricurtis
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
I wouldn't worry too much about not getting feedback; I didn't either. From what others have said, it seems to vary depending on the AFCO you go to. I didn't get feedback through the post either. Just got a letter from Cranwell about 3 weeks later inviting me to attend OASC.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Did you get told after your filter interview whether your interviewer was going to put you forward or not, or was the only thing you heard when you got the letter ?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Did you get told after your filter interview whether your interviewer was going to put you forward or not, or was the only thing you heard when you got the letter ?
I was just thanked for attending and told my application would be forwarded to Cranwell, so I suppose I knew. But no idea about how I'd done generally.
ricurtis
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was just thanked for attending and told my application would be forwarded to Cranwell, so I suppose I knew. But no idea about how I'd done generally.
That is the bit I never got - he just said "You will hear whether your application will be forwarded in 5-7 days". Oh well - cant change anything - just a matter of waiting now!
peegee
Report 14 years ago

Thats really strange - it must differ by AFCO then, my interview at london gave me a full debrief in the same slot as the interview, and he wasnt positive at all about my performance (and thats an understatement), but i was lucky enough to get a chance to do OASC.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well done. You answered all the questions, so that's a start; I wouldn't worry about a lack of feedback at this stage.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
don't worry about it, I'm sure you did fine. They aren't too picky at this stage they just want to see a glimmer of what they are looking for. If you answered all the questions then you shouldn't have a problem. As for the sports, I never really got involved in team sports as I moved around so much. They didn't like it the first time and they probably won't like it again but there was nothing I could do about it.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've been invited to attend the RAFA area conference on Sat, where we'll be addressed by Air Chief Marshal Sir John Willis, and Group Captain, OC for Linton . I wonder if they'll be able to put in a good word for me with the boarding officers at Cranwell?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've been invited to attend the RAFA area conference on Sat, where we'll be addressed by Air Chief Marshal Sir John Willis, and Group Captain, OC for Linton . I wonder if they'll be able to put in a good word for me with the boarding officers at Cranwell?
LOL reminds me of our annual dinner when I was speaking to Sir Peter Squire. Nice chap. Was dared to say 'Sir would you like a boot licking now or later for recommeding me to the RAF?' I errm didn't
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
LOL reminds me of our annual dinner when I was speaking to Sir Peter Squire. Nice chap. Was dared to say 'Sir would you like a boot licking now or later for recommeding me to the RAF?' I errm didn't

lol. I've received a personal invitation from the Mayor and Mayoress as runner up for the YP award last year, and find it all a bit embarrassing really.

And when you consider I'll be one of the youngest people there by about thirty years (at least :eek: ), it'll be errr........fun!! :rolleyes:

I did think it might be a good idea to sneak off into the town, but as someone pointed out to me, the place we're going may mean the conference is a better option! :rolleyes: Oh well, you can't win 'em all... :p:
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol. I've received a personal invitation from the Mayor and Mayoress as runner up for the YP award last year, and find it all a bit embarrassing really.

And when you consider I'll be one of the youngest people there by about thirty years (at least :eek: ), it'll be errr........fun!! :rolleyes:

I did think it might be a good idea to sneak off into the town, but as someone pointed out to me, the place we're going may mean the conference is a better option! :rolleyes: Oh well, you can't win 'em all... :p:
reminds me when I went to a by yearly warblind association dinner function 2 years ago. I was the youngest by a good 30 years there too, and that was when I was 22!
Make the most of any situation, im sure there is free food on offer
And I beleave there is another warblind function this year, more food
I say that in jest but it is quite interesting as they usualy have a guest speaker that does talk about current events (at the time the iraq operation) and how it may impact the association.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hey guys we just got our own military forum!! Should be set up tomorrow
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
reminds me when I went to a by yearly warblind association dinner function 2 years ago. I was the youngest by a good 30 years there too, and that was when I was 22!
Make the most of any situation, im sure there is free food on offer
And I beleave there is another warblind function this year, more food
I say that in jest but it is quite interesting as they usualy have a guest speaker that does talk about current events (at the time the iraq operation) and how it may impact the association.

Yeah, it won't be that bad really!! The address by Sir John Willis should be quite interesting, and the annual report'll be err....riveting, although someone's offered to teach me ballroom dancing so I'm sure that'll make up for it!! :p: :rolleyes:
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
hey guys we just got our own military forum!! Should be set up tomorrow

Is that as a sub-forum of this one?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Is that as a sub-forum of this one?
yes, like the investment and finance one
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, it won't be that bad really!! The address by Sir John Willis should be quilte interesting, and the annual report'll be err....riveting, although someone's offered to teach me ballroom dancing so I'm sure that'll make up for it!! :p: :rolleyes:
Yeah, it will be fine, you'll have fun, you'll learn stuff and you'll have some free food at some point
Ballroom dancing, well that could be interesting. If you like your classical Viennese Waltz as well maybe
But that make a change from us scots having to do traditional scottish country dancing!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh, and one of the old chaps going is an ex Spitfire Pilot who flew in the battle of Britain. He's got some fantastic stories to tell about that time. Reminds me a bit of Geoff Wellum (from what I've read anyway). I couldn't put that book down once I'd started it. :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (203)
12.7%
Excited (139)
8.69%
Worried (291)
18.2%
Terrified (363)
22.7%
Meh (143)
8.94%
Confused (35)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (221)
13.82%
Impatient (204)
12.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise