RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

mrjackd
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
still not finished then?
Oh yea, i finished it and handed it in at the end of the day, but i didnt want to to go to sleep really early and wake up and some stupid time in the middle of the night having had enough sleep so im waiting untill the normal time i go to sleep so that i can get back into some sort of routine.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would say 12am would be an alright time to sleep!
Blue_Wolf75
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amo1)
Hi I was wondering what i had to do to be a navy pilot and what course of action i should take
Start off by going to your AFCO. They should be able to tell you everything you need to know.

Also look here it might tell you a couple of things.

Aircrew Officer
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Does anyone know the UKs Armed Forces NATO commitments? I know its a daft question but my brain isn't working right now and if I have to stare at the MoD website for one more minute I will scream.
Debussy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Does anyone know the UKs Armed Forces NATO commitments? I know its a daft question but my brain isn't working right now and if I have to stare at the MoD website for one more minute I will scream.
is it the nuclear deterrent? something like, if someone sends a nuke our way, we'll detect it and send one back so everyone will die thus removing the point of bombing us in the 1st place?
Debussy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amo1)
Hi I was wondering what i had to do to be a navy pilot and what course of action i should take
if you're going to uni, there should be the navy equivalent of the uas at your freshers fair on a bit of a recruiting mish. they were at mine, even tho uas wasn't cos they had no spaces! oh well..
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by medic_bex)
is it the nuclear deterrent? something like, if someone sends a nuke our way, we'll detect it and send one back so everyone will die thus removing the point of bombing us in the 1st place?
:p: No, thats why we like NATO. We have specific commitments like the Joint Strike Force, The Rapid Reaction Force, and Joint Helicopter Command. I just can't think of anything else or if that is even right. I'm having a HUGE brainfart today. (which is bad considering my interview is tomorrow) I know bugger all

EDIT: oh and something called Joint Force Logistic Component Headquarters
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you're going to uni, there should be the navy equivalent of the uas at your freshers fair on a bit of a recruiting mish. they were at mine, even tho uas wasn't cos they had no spaces! oh well..
Yep, its URNU. University Royal Naval Unit. They each have their own 'warship' and go to sea most weekends and holidays.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
not atm up here, its excersise time for a few F3 and GR4 sqn's, having to do some night and wet flying
Hey, I've just come back from that excersise! I flew in to Leuchars that Tuesday, too - I'm going to check out if that II(AC) jet was mine! God bless you spotters!
That day was lovely, last night was beautiful, but all the other nights were awful! There were a couple of sorties I didn't even see the ground from take off to landing - a bit interesting when you know that at low level the only thing stopping you from hitting the ground are a few radio waves! It certainly builds your trust in the system!
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Hey, I've just come back from that excersise! I flew in to Leuchars that Tuesday, too - I'm going to check out if that II(AC) jet was mine! God bless you spotters!
That day was lovely, last night was beautiful, but all the other nights were awful! There were a couple of sorties I didn't even see the ground from take off to landing - a bit interesting when you know that at low level the only thing stopping you from hitting the ground are a few radio waves! It certainly builds your trust in the system!
I had a feeling you may of been there, as I saw a list of squads going and it listed one sqn from marham, I probably should of asked you
One thing about the GR4's is the location of its reg number compared to the F3's, very dificault to see.
Someone that appriciates them dudes with the uber expencive cameras and scanners that hang about the fire exit gate next to crossgates!

Isnt it just typical of the weather, the first and the last days where the best, today was pretty nice too. Being that I saw the weather and could hear you lot flying about, knew it wouldnt of been the best of conditions, but those radiowaves sure are good at their job

Oh, you wouldnt happen to know the country of origin of Nato livery B707 and Sentry would you ?
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
I had a feeling you may of been there, as I saw a list of squads going and it listed one sqn from marham, I probably should of asked you
One thing about the GR4's is the location of its reg number compared to the F3's, very dificault to see.
Isnt it just typical of the weather, the first and the last days where the best, today was pretty nice too. Being that I saw the weather and could hear you lot flying about, knew it wouldnt of been the best of conditions, but those radiowaves sure are good at their job

Oh, you wouldnt happen to know the country of origin of Nato livery B707 and Sentry would you ?
It was actually a combined push from 31 and II(AC), hence the 2 pictures you see on that site of GR4s are both painted with different insignia. Yep, must apologise to you spotters for not having our registartion number in a more convenient place, we just use the tail letters.
The sentry was from germany somewhere, I think. Can't remember where exactly, but the crew consisted of a couple of canadians, 2 or 3 yanks, a couple of Norweigians...basically it is a NATO commitment and as such is crewed by various members of NATO.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
It was actually a combined push from 31 and II(AC), hence the 2 pictures you see on that site of GR4s are both painted with different insignia. Yep, must apologise to you spotters for not having our registartion number in a more convenient place, we just use the tail letters.
The sentry was from germany somewhere, I think. Can't remember where exactly, but the crew consisted of a couple of canadians, 2 or 3 yanks, a couple of Norweigians...basically it is a NATO commitment and as such is crewed by various members of NATO.
I wasnt there personaly, as much as I enjoy watching, although any pics I would take wouldnt compare to how well those where on that other forum.
I found the two nato ones interesting, for one being that you hardly see a 707 flying nowadays and that I couldnt work out its origin. But as you say its multinational that could play a part in that.
topdog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It should be noted that there are only about 6 to 8 NEW pilots each year. The licklyhood of becomming one is very, very low so dont get your hopes up. The RAF knows who those 6 to 8 pilots will be, those which have been sponsored through University. In other words they already know who they will take on five years before they do.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by topdog)
It should be noted that there are only about 6 to 8 NEW pilots each year. The licklyhood of becomming one is very, very low so dont get your hopes up. The RAF knows who those 6 to 8 pilots will be, those which have been sponsored through University. In other words they already know who they will take on five years before they do.

I don't know enough about pilot applications to comment on your 'facts', only to say this kind of rumour has been stated previously, and was vociferously challenged by some of the more experienced people here. Could you tell us where your information has come from?
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Dirts wasnt sponsored if I recall correctly.
And they cant make a descision besed upon selection for sponsorship as things can change and what makes someone ideal 4 years previous could turn into someone not suitable.
Juji
Report 14 years ago
:p: No, thats why we like NATO. We have specific commitments like the Joint Strike Force, The Rapid Reaction Force, and Joint Helicopter Command. I just can't think of anything else or if that is even right. I'm having a HUGE brainfart today. (which is bad considering my interview is tomorrow) I know bugger all
EDIT: oh and something called Joint Force Logistic Component Headquarters
Basically....

JOINT = Two or more Services (Army, RN, RAF) operating together under a unified command structure. It has nothing to do with NATO, other than the fact that Britain would use Joint Units in support of NATO.

This differs from COMBINED, which means two or more NATIONS operating together.

So, for example, JHC is the amalgamation of C2 for the rotary wing assets of all 3 Services. JFLogC is the Joint control of the logistics effort required to operations (i.e. All 3 Services contributing to the Air, Sea and Land co-ordination of logisitics delivery and distribution).

Never heard of a 'Joint Strike Force'...sounds like something from Action Man. :cool:

'Components' are the division of operations at a sub-operational level. The way things work for Non-NATO Operations....

1. Govt tasks military with an Operational Task.

2. Military pass the task to PJHQ (Permanent Joint Headquarters).

3. PJHQ deploys the JFHQ (Joint Force Headquarters) to the designated operational theatre.

4. JFHQ conducts an estimate of forces reqd and, in turn, PJHQ tasks Fleet (RN), Land (Army) and Strike (RAF) to provide the necessary forces.

5. JFHQ passes operational control of 5 elements (Air, Land, Maritime, SF and Log) to the appropiate Component Commander: Air = JFACC (Joint Force Air Component Commander).

6. JFACC controls all air operations within the designated Theatre of Operations.

The way things work for NATO Operations....

1. The appropriate NATO command requests forces from Britain in accordance with the treaty (article 5).

2. Britain supply pre-designated forces from Land (Army), Fleet (RN) and Strike (RAF) for control by the designated NATO commander.

Basically, NATO would take precedence but very few forces are permenently designated to it. In the meantime, those forces are controlled within the UK C2 chain for our own uses.

The Joint Rapid Reaction Force is a combination of UK assets that are specifically designated for employment with NATO, if requested. Their purpose (the clue is in the name) is to provide a rapid reponse to a crisis that would be reinforced by further tranches of heavier forces when they rolled up.

Hope that provides some clarity. Any questions, please feel free to ask!

Andy
Juji
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by topdog)

Complete and utter hokkum. Why would someone post such obvious nonsense as if it were fact?!?

If that were true, why would the RAF spend approx £6000 per head sending people to OASC for boarding?!?!?

Idiot!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Juji)
If that were true, why would the RAF spend approx £6000 per head sending people to OASC for boarding?!?!?

Yes, it does seem a gross inefficiency on the RAF's part to carry on with selection if they have no intention of recruiting. Particularly so in light of recent cuts; and I'd think some very serious questions around competency to manage budgets were being asked if that was the case.
Juji
Report 14 years ago
NATO commitments are very varied and were based around an over-arching strategy for the defence of Western Europe against the Warsaw Pact.

It depends on what would be requested, but could literally encompass the entire UK Armed Forces.

During peacetime, some assets work as part of NATO and as national assets. The obvious example being the UKIADGE (UK Improved Air Defence Ground Environment). The combination of ground radar, air radar (E3D) and control assets protect the UK airspace, BUT also integrates within the wider NATO Air Defence network.

The Nuclear Deterent is NOT, repeat NOT a NATO asset. It is a strategical deterent operated by the UK.

The concept to which you refer to is known as MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction), i.e. there is no point in using strategical nukes because it would only invite your own destruction. It was a very effective method for ensuring that, during the Cold War, the superpowers did not engage in open warfare. It does not encompass tactical (battlefield) nukes or chemical/biological weapons, although the risk of eventual escalation to the strategic level would have meant a great deal of hesitation to employ these weapons.

The MAD concept still applies for nuclear armed states, however, the increasing rise in non-state aligned terrorism, coupled with the increasing capability of available long range missiles, means that it is conceivable that rogue elements may one day be in a position to attack without the target being able to utilise it's nukes in return. Hence, the reason why a great deal of though is now being applied to ballistic missile defence methods.
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Juji)
Complete and utter hokkum.
Yeah, maybe he was confused between 60 IPS and 6 pilots per year. I know the figure has reduced from 60, but I don't think it's been reduced tenfold!

(Original post by Juji)
£6000??!! Is it really that much?! I can't see how, the accommodation is free, the food costs very little to them, the facilities are established - the only thing that is really costing them is the manning...

By the way, what is a 3rd-Dan balck belt in Jiu Jitsu?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (111)
14.19%
Excited (75)
9.59%
Worried (148)
18.93%
Terrified (181)
23.15%
Meh (50)
6.39%
Confused (22)
2.81%
Putting on a brave face (94)
12.02%
Impatient (101)
12.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise