Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And incidentally, when I was at Cranwell, the majority of the stereotypes you describe above, didn't get past aptitude stage.
Juji
Report 15 years ago
Don't people have a choice whether they go to Uni or not? Don't they also have a choice when they apply for the RAF?

Why should someone be penalised for making the effort of going to University? After all, they bring a greater knowledge base with them to the RAF.

I think the pay makes the assumption that someone without a degree would have joined straight from A-Levels. If you choose to leave it longer, then that's your decision.
Juji
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Your stereotype of people attending private school isn't quite accurate.
I agree 100%. Where you went to school isn't important. You are judged entirely on your merits.

There are a lot of applicants for sponsorships from public schools simply because those schools have a more robust careers system...and support the kids when they wish to apply. The same cannot be said for the vast majority of comprehensive schools, whose careers provision is typically non-existent.

Once you get into the RAF, the whole public/private debate is non-existent anyway.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Juji)

Once you get into the RAF, the whole public/private debate is non-existent anyway.
Exactly
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by White)
My AFCO officer told me that there are only 2 pilot placements in the next 18 months...im only relaying what i've been told, maybe he meant that there are only 2 fast jet placements, im not sure myself.
There's room for 45 FJ pilots to graduate from training and arrive on STC squadrons this year. Next year we haven't decided how many we want, but the IPS number only moves by a couple a year. Bets are on for next year to be 40 IPS, but I doubt it'll ever drop lower. We need 40 out the end of training; that's after streaming, passing Linton, 208(R), and TW, and then an OCU!

Whoever told you that an AFCO is barking. Drop me a PM and tell me which AFCO.

(Original post by White)
Im a soldier in the TA, we share a common view that cadets are worthless, ok, maybe not worthless, but they're playing at being soldiers, even myself as an ex cadet, I feel that im better than any cadet, ive had real experiences to train me for real operations doing a real job, under real circumstances, but please dont take offence, im sure there are strong arguements against my comments. As an ex cadet i'm not prejudice, but please lets not continue an arguement that I feel by saying this has provoked.
That's the most bizarre argument I've ever heard. You feel you're better than a cadet by being a TA bloke? The cadet organisations don't claim to be anything like the TA; they recruit 13 year olds, after all! A real job? When did any cadet claim to be doing that?

(Original post by White)
I applied for a 6th form scholarship a year ago. There I met private schoolboys left right and centre- all of them wanted to become pilots one day. So daddy and mummy pay something like £3000 PER TERM to attend school, with I believe 3 terms per year thats £9000 per school year. Taking this into account this is roughly £18000 to attend 6th form at a private school (figures taken from my friends girlfriend, who DOESN'T board....).
So at OASC you have...god knows how many private schoolboys applying for 1/18 of their school fees...£1000 doesnt stretch much does it.
Now let's twist that another way. I wasn't a boarder, by the way, I went to the local comprehensive.

Kid gets sent to boarding school and really, really wants to be a pilot. He wants to go to university, so figures the best way to sort both out is to get sponsored. Why do you think he should be penalised because his parents chose to send him to private school? That's a massively closed-mind argument. You don't have private schoolboys applying for "1/18th of their school fees." You have them applying to get a job they'd love to do.

(Original post by White)
It costs me nothing to attend school, im a typical, hard(ish) working student. My parents are fairly hard up at times, but they get by. I pay board every now and then, but £1000 would sort out bills towards keeping me, it would loosen the load in terms of finance in general, and make it so that if i need utensils etc. I can do so easier than before.

£1000 stretches a long way, and means more.
That doesn't mean the RAF should employ you. Your beef here appears to be that bursaries should be means tested towards family circumstances; that you and your family need £1000 for your education more than a well-off family need it. Unfortunately, we pay it to the best candidates; we don't give a stuff what your family background is, if you're going to be the best bloke to have in the cockpit we'll employ you! If you think bursaries should be scaled by parents' income, fine, but that's not a factor we think about and that's not what bursaries are for.

I was on a full University Cadetship through uni, and without that I doubt my parents could have afforded to send me. Do you think that mattered to the RAF?

(Original post by White)
I felt sorry for the other people like me, competing against people for something that they needed, even, deserved, more than that of the majority.

This is the fuel of my slightly prejudice opinion to what I label 'wannabee' pilots.
With this sort of attitude you're exceptionally lucky that this didn't come across to the boarding officers. The RAF do not owe you a job, or sponsorship, or anything. It's not your job to decide if you deserve sponsorship! Your financial situation might dictate you could use it more, but what if all those public schoolboys were better pilot and officer candidates than you?

I went to my local small comprehensive, and then did fine at university thanks to a Cadetship. Once of my best mates through training went to a terribly expensive school and then to Oxford. We're no different at this end, and he deserved his sponsorship as much as I deserved mine.

Your posts so far here have been reactionary, bigoted, and unhelpful; I hope I don't end up teaching or flying with you!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Juji)
Why should someone be penalised for making the effort of going to University? After all, they bring a greater knowledge base with them to the RAF.
..... plus, other than flying training, it's about the only 3-4 year long course of instruction you can take. It's nice to show you can stick it out.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cwarranto)
Ahhh, but for the great unwashed tax-dodgers, the final thing that counts is their exam mark / essay / module results / dissertation - not HOW they learn't it. Often you will find "all nighters" being pulled. Coffee / Red Bull mix etc. This proves they haven't spend their time wisely and have been a. in the union too much, b. seeing that red-head from the copy place far too much to be health or c. working hard to repay debts from said drinking! (not a-typical throught students i hasten too add)
At the end of the day, they've stuck with something for 4 years, proven they have a trainable mind, and (despite their attempts) will have matured as they did it. They are a better bet. If you're going to start guessing how they achieved their degrees, then you're going to far. Maybe people only passed OASC because of that? When Cadetship Staff Officers visited you to check on sponsored studes, they could tell what was going on; you had to visit them for at least a couple of interviews, they spoke to your tutors, they spoke to your QFIs. You can't keep flying and operating well if you're knackered from constant allnighters; and you won't pass your degree if you only concentrate on your UAS.

You can take things like this too far!
White
Report 15 years ago
Only regarding 6FS, not bursaries; cant they apply for direct entrant?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by White)
Only regarding 6FS, not bursaries; cant they apply for direct entrant?
Not if they want to go to university, no; a 6FS can lead to sponsorship.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
White in plain simple english you need to remember your place and wind your neck in a bit
dirts
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
pff!! the sun does shine here honist!

have a look at these pics at leuchars from last week, gorgeous sun I tell you!

http://tinyurl.com/5g9aj
Hey, whaddya know! I checked my logbook, and I flew 'E' into Leuchars that day!! Thanks for the pic!! I didn't know I sat so far forward!
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dirts)
Hey, whaddya know! I checked my logbook, and I flew 'E' into Leuchars that day!! Thanks for the pic!! I didn't know I sat so far forward!
god damn! What was the chances of that happening ?
Glad your happy with the pic, im rather glad I found it on that board.
If thats the best position for you in a GR4 then thats what matters
Rab
Report 15 years ago
Hey Nikki, You heard from Cranwell at all?
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Rab)
Hey Nikki, You heard from Cranwell at all?
Nope. I rang Cranwell last week who said the final board sat last weds and we should expect to hear this weekend. However, I rang AFCO yesterday and they said they still haven't got anything through yet, so I have no idea when we'll hear :rolleyes: I'm trying to be fairly philosophical about it;it's not the end of the world if I don't get it, I'll just apply again this autumn. And as a doc I can potentially apply until I'm 55, so can have quite a few attempts. I can only hope they either take pity on me, or get sick of me knocking on the door

You heard anything?
Rab
Report 15 years ago
Nope, but a friend of mine got given a pilot scholarship he got the letter on Monday so hopefully tommorrow I'll get a letter and I will know.
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Nope. I rang Cranwell last week who said the final board sat last weds and we should expect to hear this weekend. However, I rang AFCO yesterday and they said they still haven't got anything through yet, so I have no idea when we'll hear :rolleyes: I'm trying to be fairly philosophical about it;it's not the end of the world if I don't get it, I'll just apply again this autumn. And as a doc I can potentially apply until I'm 55, so can have quite a few attempts. I can only hope they either take pity on me, or get sick of me knocking on the door

You heard anything?
I phoned the afternoon my board sat, and they told me the "good news" there and then. It may be worth giving them a try, cos they told me that the results are sent out first class post the next day.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
I phoned the afternoon my board sat, and they told me the "good news" there and then. It may be worth giving them a try, cos they told me that the results are sent out first class post the next day.
I rang them the day after the board sat, and they just said I should expect to hear by this weekend AFCO said they hadn't recieved anything from Cranwell when I rang them this weds (supposedly a week after the final board sitting!!) I'll just have to wait like everyone else does.

Edit: Things may have been delayed a bit this last week with the Easter bank holidays. :rolleyes:
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I hope you hear soon Nikki, try not to worry about it. Like you said you can keep applying even if it all goes wrong. (which it won't have!) Show them your determination lol. fingers crossed for you.
Rab
Report 15 years ago
My AFCO said they didn't find out till I did.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I got my security and residential waiver yesterday. Not very exciting but last time I applied it took them almost 5 months to sort out Took a week this time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (268)
34.14%
No (517)
65.86%

Watched Threads