RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Eurofighter
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Cheers, i have looked round the website but its much more helpful talking with someone with experience (like some of you guys). The website mainly gives a brief introduction.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thought I would add this for anyone going FC. These are the lengths of weapons and survelliance courses at RAF Boulmer:

Weapons is 7 months with sim training and then live training in CRC. Surveillance is 18 weeks sim, 3 weeks theory, 14 weeks practical and 1 week visit to a live base.
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
Basically, it takes 1 and a half years, thats pretty long
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Eurofighter)
Basically, it takes 1 and a half years, thats pretty long
not compared to about 5 years for a pilot if you include holds.
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
wow that is long but for pilot you would be doing something challenging everyday and probably something you enjoy as well.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wow that is long but for pilot you would be doing something challenging everyday and probably something you enjoy as well.
nope not all the time. I don't think holds would be very challenging to be honest!
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
What are holds
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What are holds
When a pilot is going through training they have different stages. (ie IOT, EFT, Linton, Valley) In order to go onto a stage there has to be a space available. If there isn't one then you have to wait for one to open up.
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
Thanks but wouldnt you just take a holiday, see your family or mess about on base
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thanks but wouldnt you just take a holiday, see your family or mess about on base
no, holds don't count as leave. It depends what base you were on as to what you would be doing and also what stage of training you were at. If you were based where a UAS was then you would help out and fly on the odd occasion. Not exactly challenging and I imagine not as much fun as actually being on a course.
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
no, holds don't count as leave. It depends what base you were on as to what you would be doing and also what stage of training you were at. If you were based where a UAS was then you would help out and fly on the odd occasion. Not exactly challenging and I imagine not as much fun as actually being on a course.

Why wouldnt they just count you as a 'creamy' and make you train potential pilots.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why wouldnt they just count you as a 'creamy' and make you train potential pilots.
In order to do that you have to be given the slot by your CO. There aren't enough creamy slots for everyone going through courses. Some people do it though, but most go on holds before continuing their training. Depends on the stage though.
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
Ok, thanks for the info
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ok, thanks for the info
You're welcome. sorry its not terribly in depth but I'm yet to have to put up with the joys of holds :p:
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
Why you going for pilot in the RAF
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why you going for pilot in the RAF
yes I am Part of me wants OASC to hurry up but the rest of me is terrified that I will fail horribly.

What are you applying for? I'm sure you've said
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
Dunno yet, so many jobs, i fancy air traffic controller, fighter controller, wso and mainly pilot (but too many peopl apply for it).
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Dunno yet, so many jobs, i fancy air traffic controller, fighter controller, wso and mainly pilot (but too many peopl apply for it).
once you get to OASC level there would probably be about 3,000 applicants for 100 pilot spaces. Thats a guess though. Of course it always varies. If you want pilot then why not try? If you don't get it you can have FC and ATC as your second options. If you really don't fancy competing against that many people then go FC. Its a challenging job but very available at the minuute.
Eurofighter
Report 14 years ago
I am ready for the competition because i really want pilot, like everyone else on this planet (it seems like a disease). FC will be kool but i will try to convince them that im the person for the job, hope to fly with you one day, if we both make it.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I am ready for the competition because i really want pilot, like everyone else on this planet (it seems like a disease). FC will be kool but i will try to convince them that im the person for the job, hope to fly with you one day, if we both make it.
Have you put an application in yet? Have a chat with your AFCO staff about the different jobs and arrange a base visit so you can see first hand what it is like and if its really for you. Pilot has this aura around it of being an amazing job, and it is! People often forget it is a very very difficult job!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.66%
Excited (154)
9.11%
Worried (303)
17.92%
Terrified (376)
22.24%
Meh (162)
9.58%
Confused (37)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (232)
13.72%
Impatient (213)
12.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise