Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would expect it to be difficult, i would like the challenge but i have my A-levels to do first so i will have two years until i apply. If they do not accept me the first time then i will try again on the last attempt.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Have you considered going for a pilot sponsership? You would be able to get a university degree while doing EFT on a UAS.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Eurofighter)
    Why wouldnt they just count you as a 'creamy' and make you train potential pilots.
    Creamies do the job for a full tour. It takes around 6 months to train you as a QFI, and you're only selected for it once you've finished FJ AFT. The holds are around 6 months right now between AFT and TW, so if you were trained, you'd be qualified just in time to leave!

If you've been a creamie and found yourself with a long hold, there's the possibility to pop back and do some more instruction instead of holding, but it's not feasible to train during one.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    nope not all the time. I don't think holds would be very challenging to be honest!
    Most aren't. Some can be, depends massively where you go.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    ie colerne = rubbish hold
    leuchars = good hold

ReputationRep:
    Eurofighter: If you have 2 years until you apply, use the 2 years wisely, join loads of clubs and groups and stuff and build up loads for on your CV/job application, it looks really good for you in interveiws, and also, start training for the physical with much time to spare-the fitter you are the better it looks for you, so if you think you can reach the target to pass your physical, train some more, get yourself fitter and better that. If you want to get in you have to make a good impression. Especially if your considering pilot, as competition is so fierce. In the last 12 months I haven't done so much for clubs, etc, all I have done is running and swimming, and even though it has immensely improved my fitness, it doesn't look overly brilliant on my application (anyone can say that they do that when really they don't and are just blagging it), and I fear that will let me down, as I have not actively taken part in social activities and groups (although it is hard for me as I live in a little village where there is actually nothing to do). Also, do try to get the best grades you can, I know everyone says you only need the bear minimum, but it does look so much better for you if you say you got an A rather than, say, an E.

ReputationRep:
    Eeeek! Got my interveiw on Wednesday morning, I'm starting to worry about it. Are there any last minute tips that anyone wants to give me?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Silly Wench)
    Eeeek! Got my interveiw on Wednesday morning, I'm starting to worry about it. Are there any last minute tips that anyone wants to give me?
    Filter int? Don't panic or worry about it. Have a last minute look over your stuff but don't fret about anything. Speak up, smile and answer questions as best you can even if you need a moment to think of it. Filter ints are easy peasy so don't worry

ReputationRep:
    at the filter interview, they mark you on

1)presentation, so look smart, be punctual, courteous, confident and enthusiastic.
    2)powers of expression, try to maintain a good level of eye contact, speak clearly and concisely, try to stay focused and relaxed
    3)activities and interests, obviously work with what you've got but don't forget any positions of responsibility you may have had at school, every little bit helps...
    4)motivation, make sure you know as much as possible about the selection system and branch training plus some basics about the raf or current affairs. this seems to be the point that most afcos differ on so remember a few key points and make sure you know why you want to join.

that is how my filter interview report was set out, so they obviously check this kind of stuff out.

and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi All

I have been selected to go to OASC in June and am applying for the Provost Officer Branch. Now i know that this branch does not really appeal to many people so the competition for the positions will not be as tough as pilot for example. But along side this i know that the branch is only very small with around only 106 provost officers in the whole RAF. My question is this, would they ask me to come to cranwell and do all the selection centre if they were not recruiting for provost? Any info would be appriciated.

ReputationRep:
    No, they wouldn't ask you to come if they a) weren't recruiting and b) didn't think you have what it takes to pass selection.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats what i though. Although I wasnt sure if they would ask me to come and do the selection, then tell me there were not positions in the provost role but would i consider ............. etc.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ravnos)
    Hi All

I have been selected to go to OASC in June and am applying for the Provost Officer Branch. Now i know that this branch does not really appeal to many people so the competition for the positions will not be as tough as pilot for example. But along side this i know that the branch is only very small with around only 106 provost officers in the whole RAF. My question is this, would they ask me to come to cranwell and do all the selection centre if they were not recruiting for provost? Any info would be appriciated.
    Most RAF branches are open throughout the year. The RAF has boards at certain times and has a number they want for each branch. If they fill the numbers and have a late board it will just carry onto the next year. I wouldn't worry about what numbers they need, and what they have. You've been sent to OASC for a good reason. ie they are interested and want to see you prove you can be an officer. So if you go in and say to an AFCO are you recruiting "blah" its not that they aren't it is that they are waiting for slots so people should really apply for it anyway given the length of time an application takes. The RAF isn't ever not recruiting.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if the annual quota runs Jan to Dec or does it renew at some other point in the year?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by gliderpilot)
    Do you know if the annual quota runs Jan to Dec or does it renew at some other point in the year?
    April to April or so I was told. By the financial year.

ReputationRep:
    Got my letter today, didnt get a scholarship but being considered again at next tranche and will hear within three months. What is a tranche?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rab)
    Got my letter today, didnt get a scholarship but being considered again at next tranche and will hear within three months. What is a tranche?
    It's a long hole that Irish navvies dig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rab)
    "Tranche" is french for slice or portion. In this case it is one sift/board/selection that makes up part of the whole year' selection.

HTH

ReputationRep:
    Had my filter interveiw today. It was rubbish, my nerves got the better of me.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Silly Wench)
    Had my filter interveiw today. It was rubbish, my nerves got the better of me.
    feel like talking about it? I'm sure it went fine, what did your interviewer say?

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.