?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rab)
Is that for everyone?
Yup, that's what I've been told by AFCO and Cranwell
Eurofighter
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Ok Blackbird, i will give it a shot, is anyone else on here applying for the sixth form sponsorship and how does the selection process work as i dont know what they mark you on.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Eurofighter)
Ok Blackbird, i will give it a shot, is anyone else on here applying for the sixth form sponsorship and how does the selection process work as i dont know what they mark you on.
pretty much exactly the same as though you were going for a comission. You still have to go to OASC
mankyscot2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hey Guys,

I have been reading this thread and others do do with the RAF and Officer entry for over a week now but i have been unable to post messages until my application was reviewed by the webmaster.

Anyway, i think it is absolutely brilliant how you guys give each other such good advice and motivation even though you don't really know each other.

I am in the process of applying to be a pilot (SURPRISE), and i could do with fr4iends like you guys to help me along the way. I am currently in my final year at the university of manchester and i am struggling to juggle my application to the RAF with my studies. Any tips would be great.

Look forward to having some good conversations with you.

Cheers,
Cal
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hey Cal, glad to have you. More the merrier. Just a few questions for ya

How far along is your application? Have you had your filter int yet? Have you been on a UAS?

we can give you more tips if we know where you are in the grand scheme of things! :p:
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i used to be in the atc where i reached the rank of corporal after 2 1/2 years. I was told then by an adult instructor who i respected that i was too tall to be a pilot and so i sort of lost all enthusiasm and left the atc without following this up.

I have become aware in the last 6 months however that i may not be too tall (i am 6'4") and that i should chase my dream. I tried to join a uas but it was past freshers week and they wouldn't let me in. I have filled out some basic forms at the AFCO but the SCLO there told me to come back after my exams for the presentation and interview. this is fine but i really could have done with doing stuff towards my raf application all through uni. now i am just a bit worried that its all a bit late. although i am still going to try my hardest to be a pilot.

p.s. i live in manchester but i am scottish and i will be moving back to scotland after uni, hence the name mankyscot.
Eurofighter
Report 13 years ago
You could always try becoming an adult volunteer at the ATC which would be useful, showing your commitment.
ThomA2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I didn't conciously prepare for the RAF before applying, infact I only even considered it a few weeks before I turned up at the AFCO. As long as you've led an active life rather than doing nothing with your youth then what you did isn't particularly relevant.

If you are worried then follow the advise around here and get involved with some organisations now. Leadership is perhaps the most difficult experience to get, but it's easy enough to demonstrate if you put your mind to it.

Good luck
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah i was thinking that, but at the moment i would struggle to find the time to be an adult instructor, with my final exams coming up and all that.

i was planning on moving back to scotland after university finishes and concentrating on my application, so for the few months that i will have between university and OASC i could be an adult instructor at an ATC in scotland as well as studying and getting fitter for OASC.

Basically, i should have been strengthening my application over the last few years and i was just wondering what activities you guys take part in to help with your applications.
Eurofighter
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, i am the same way, i have about seven months until i apply for a sponsor so i am trying to do everything i can, i'm joing the ATC, joining a scuba diving club and i go to a cyber cafe.

All that you have to do is join a couple of clubs, surely there will be some at your uni. Have you ever been flying as well, if not you could pay for a lesson to see if you enjoy the flight.
Eurofighter
Report 13 years ago
Have you looked on the atc website, on that you can see how you can become an adult instructor.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/index.htm
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah i love flying, whether its me flying a bulldog (coz that was the tutor plane at leuchars and lossiemouth when i was at ATC), or in a commercial plane, i always have to have a window seat so that i can look out above the clouds to watch other jets fly around.

even if i am not good enough to be a pilot i would happily settle for WSO or Aircrew just so that i was flying.

p.s. i would also like to be a commercial pilot but the experience, respect and satisfaction of being a pilot in the RAF is surely second to no other job in the world.
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
cheers mate i will have a look at that website.

my uncle is an adult instructor for stonehaven squadron, i will speak to him as he knows i am interested in becoming a pilot and he should help me out.
valu
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ThomA2)
I didn't conciously prepare for the RAF before applying, infact I only even considered it a few weeks before I turned up at the AFCO. As long as you've led an active life rather than doing nothing with your youth then what you did isn't particularly relevant.

If you are worried then follow the advise around here and get involved with some organisations now. Leadership is perhaps the most difficult experience to get, but it's easy enough to demonstrate if you put your mind to it.

Good luck
I'll second that, do what you can in the time you have, but don't worry about what you haven't done...If it helps, I was academic and although I was reasonably active I haven't done any uni sports, or Cadets or UAS for that matter. Although I was told to do what I could to get some adventure training, I've got an OASC date, so it can't be the be all and end all of things.

Just go for it! What have you got to lose (or at least that's what I keep telling my self as OASC is the day after tomorrow!)

Good Luck
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
very good luck for OASC,

i wish you all the best, remember never to put yourself down, even if the officers at cranwell try and put you down (which they probably will) always think that you are the best.

i'm sure you will do fantastically.

keep us up to date

Cal
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mankyscot2)
i used to be in the atc where i reached the rank of corporal after 2 1/2 years. I was told then by an adult instructor who i respected that i was too tall to be a pilot and so i sort of lost all enthusiasm and left the atc without following this up.

I have become aware in the last 6 months however that i may not be too tall (i am 6'4") and that i should chase my dream. I tried to join a uas but it was past freshers week and they wouldn't let me in. I have filled out some basic forms at the AFCO but the SCLO there told me to come back after my exams for the presentation and interview. this is fine but i really could have done with doing stuff towards my raf application all through uni. now i am just a bit worried that its all a bit late. although i am still going to try my hardest to be a pilot.

p.s. i live in manchester but i am scottish and i will be moving back to scotland after uni, hence the name mankyscot.
So are you going to do your interview at Manchester or Aberdeen? I'm probably heading back up to Aberdeen soon as thats where I am originally from. I'm also looking at being an adult volunteer for the ATC up there which is in Stonehaven (I saw you mentioned it) so drop me a line as if you are going the same route then we will end up crossing paths at some point!
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
So are you going to do your interview at Manchester or Aberdeen? I'm probably heading back up to Aberdeen soon as thats where I am originally from. I'm also looking at being an adult volunteer for the ATC up there which is in Stonehaven (I saw you mentioned it) so drop me a line as if you are going the same route then we will end up crossing paths at some point!
excellent, is a small world, yeah my uncle is an adult instructor for that squadron. I will be getting my interview in dundee as it is more accessable from my mums in montrose or my dads in arbroath. I am hoping to be moving back up to scotland mid june after my exams.

what stage are you at in your application and what do you do currently, i.e. Uni, work or travel?

Cal
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
excellent, is a small world, yeah my uncle is an adult instructor for that squadron. I will be getting my interview in dundee as it is more accessable from my mums in montrose or my dads in arbroath. I am hoping to be moving back up to scotland mid june after my exams.

what stage are you at in your application and what do you do currently, i.e. Uni, work or travel?

Cal
Yeah I'm thinking about heading up there around that time too. My lease in Bristol runs out at the beginning of July so it seems an ideal time. I'm a student in Bristol but leaving to join the RAF hopefully as a pilot. I don't have my date yet but all my stuff is sitting at Cranwell so its just a case of waiting for one really. I have a very odd application history towards the RAF. Though I was never unsuccessful I've managed to sit 4 interviews so far for different branches! I was on a UAS for a bit but am getting towards the age limit for pilot so I can't continue on with a degree and an application. You must be almost at the age limit if you're finishing a degree? Its a bit rubbish but everything has a way of working out.
mankyscot2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
Yeah I'm thinking about heading up there around that time too. My lease in Bristol runs out at the beginning of July so it seems an ideal time. I'm a student in Bristol but leaving to join the RAF hopefully as a pilot. I don't have my date yet but all my stuff is sitting at Cranwell so its just a case of waiting for one really. I have a very odd application history towards the RAF. Though I was never unsuccessful I've managed to sit 4 interviews so far for different branches! I was on a UAS for a bit but am getting towards the age limit for pilot so I can't continue on with a degree and an application. You must be almost at the age limit if you're finishing a degree? Its a bit rubbish but everything has a way of working out.
yeah well i seem to be a bit older than most people on this site but i am only 20 because i went straight from scottish high school to an english uni so i am 2 years younger than any of my friends at uni. Is a bit bizzare but is very good.

i have also managed to go straight through uni with no failed years or re-sits so that is why i am younger than i should be for finishing a degree.

you don't happen to know the length that your specific limbs have to be for pilot do you? i reckon that the only thing that will let me down for being a pilot is my height.

what high school did you go to and how old are you?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah well i seem to be a bit older than most people on this site but i am only 20 because i went straight from scottish high school to an english uni so i am 2 years younger than any of my friends at uni. Is a bit bizzare but is very good.

i have also managed to go straight through uni with no failed years or re-sits so that is why i am younger than i should be for finishing a degree.

you don't happen to know the length that your specific limbs have to be for pilot do you? i reckon that the only thing that will let me down for being a pilot is my height.

what high school did you go to and how old are you?
I'm 21 soonish and I went to a small village school outside Aberdeen. I do have all the lengths actually. I'll list them but I wouldn't worry until you get there.

I can't find my medical forms from Cranwell but I'll try and post it later tonight when I do. I know its around here somewhere and it has all the heights for pilot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1044)
79.03%
Leave (277)
20.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed