Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    I didn't know it was under the same wing. That will be three of us then.

I think the love smilie is quite cute actually
    Think you'll be under a different wing as the Dundee wing goes as far up as montrose and brechin.

Well ok, I wont deny the smilie is cute
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Scorg)
    Think you'll be under a different wing as the Dundee wing goes as far up as montrose and brechin.

Well ok, I wont deny the smilie is cute
    ah. I'm not sure at all about the ones up North. Couple of months away yet! I start with Bristol next week though.

I suppose it adds a bit of colour, no one really bothers with sigs in this thread. :p:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Can anyone think of anything to add to this lovely revision list?

Current events
    NATO
    UN
    RAF Vision and principals
    RAF equipment
    New RAF equipment
    IOT and Branch Training
    OASC selection
    RAF stations and oversees requirements and what is based where
    Ranks
    Chief staff
    some basic info like when the raf was formed

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone think of anything to add to this lovely revision list?

Current events
    NATO
    UN
    RAF Vision and principals
    RAF equipment
    New RAF equipment
    IOT and Branch Training
    OASC selection
    RAF stations and oversees requirements and what is based where
    Ranks
    Chief staff
    some basic info like when the raf was formed
    well not really but stuff like, what do you think would happen if we invaded Iran or Korea and what would happen if President Mugabe was assassinated, just a load of current affairs.

Blackhawk, i will try and speak to my uncle soon and arrange for us to help out at the stonehaven squadron if you want, or do you want to sort it out on your own, either way its fine. It might turn out that they have too many helpers and i might need to join montrose squadron, which is fine also because i have links there as well.

Cal
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by mankyscot2)
    well not really but stuff like, what do you think would happen if we invaded Iran or Korea and what would happen if President Mugabe was assassinated, just a load of current affairs.

Blackhawk, i will try and speak to my uncle soon and arrange for us to help out at the stonehaven squadron if you want, or do you want to sort it out on your own, either way its fine. It might turn out that they have too many helpers and i might need to join montrose squadron, which is fine also because i have links there as well.

Cal
    Yeah I have a world map on my wall now with lots of pins in current affair areas

I don't really mind either way If your uncle has an idea if he will have spaces around June/July time then that would be great. I'm starting with a Bristol ATC next week so I will stay down here with them until the summer. Plus I've just sent off my application for the special police constabulary so I will be a busy bee

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have a world map on my wall now with lots of pins in current affair areas

I don't really mind either way If your uncle has an idea if he will have spaces around June/July time then that would be great. I'm starting with a Bristol ATC next week so I will stay down here with them until the summer. Plus I've just sent off my application for the special police constabulary so I will be a busy bee
    I dont think it will be too much of a problem. Leven sqn said to me, we have quite a few but more are always welcome, because alot of the time people cant make it and having one extra can always cover for that!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    you do have to show that you have leadership qualities at OASC though. Like trying to get 10 people from A-B with a bucket and piece of string. Even if its impossible the officers at cranwell want to see how you cope and that you never give up and never let other take over, although you have to show that you are willing to take ideas from other members of your group.

i love those exercises, did them in beavers, cubs, scouts, ATC

cal
    Debatable; you're showing that you can problem solve, use initiative, work under pressure, control a group, assess a problem, work to a timeline etc etc rather than showing pure leadership. They're all elements of leading, but they're not expecting you to be an out-of-the-box military leader. That's why it's funny watching us post-IOT trying to do them again when I was at OASC a while ago

As far as other members of your group go, you're right that you have to be able to absorb ideas from them, admit your own are rubbish, and go with them. It's very easy; you get them to stop, and tell you their ideas; not just let them start telling them to everyone else.

Then you say "thanks number 2! Number 3, grab the plank that number 2 mentioned, then put it there like he said." You're still in charge.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    yeah Typoon would be ace.

don't think i would say no to anything at the moment, hawks are neat little things, is it true that at the end of Fast Jet training you are put up against tornados and you have to have a dummie dog fight top gun stylie?

p.s. i like JSF too
    Yes, Typhoon looks lovely

Hawks are wonderful little aeroplanes, but no, you don't do any dissimilar air combat training until you're on the front line. You can be in an F3 fighting a Hawk, but that Hawk'll be flown by a qualified air defender from 100 Sqn at Leeming, not a Valley trainee. During Tactics and Weapons training you fight other Hawks and that's it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i spoke to a woman before christmas in there and i'm not sure which rank she was. I felt like she was interviewing me, do you know this, do you know that, i just felt a bit *****y afterwards like i was wasteing their time.
    Have some motivation, have some confidence, and as the saying goes, man up

It's not the sort of job they invite you in to; you're competing against hundreds of people. If you can't take being asked a few questions that show the limit of your knowledge and demonstrate what you'll need to know, well.......
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Scottish_Chick)
    So if anyone has any info on the RAF- the training etc then please reply or PM me
    You have 202 pages' worth above and to your left. It'll take a while, but it's all worth it. If you've got any specific questions then ask away, but my fingers'd drop off before I finish typing about even IOT.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Hawks would be great, though we would be flying the 128 (if we got that far) by the time we finish EFT and Linton. 128 will be bigger, faster and alot of fun in my opinion. As for the JCF, they don't really float my boat to be honest!
    By 2007/8, although I'm not sure how quick we'll ramp them up. 128's a little longer, but it's no faster; the extra weight counteracts the extra power, and we'll use it at the same set speeds. It'll probably be a little slower to climb than the slick little T1s.

Debatably, the T1s might be more fun, because they have less buttons :p:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wzz)
    By 2007/8, although I'm not sure how quick we'll ramp them up. 128's a little longer, but it's no faster; the extra weight counteracts the extra power, and we'll use it at the same set speeds. It'll probably be a little slower to climb than the slick little T1s.

Debatably, the T1s might be more fun, because they have less buttons :p:
    nothing wrong with more buttons I think its got an expectancy date of '08 which will be nice. Faster is debatable too, apparently it will go 28 km/h faster than the T1 but will still be outfitted with the same engine. Also, I know T1 can hold the sidewinder and the 128 will, but does the T1 have the capacity for Paveway missiles?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    nothing wrong with more buttons I think its got an expectancy date of '08 which will be nice. Faster is debatable too, apparently it will go 28 km/h faster than the T1 but will still be outfitted with the same engine. Also, I know T1 can hold the sidewinder and the 128 will, but does the T1 have the capacity for Paveway missiles?
    28km/h? Well, the T1'll do something like 550kts at low level if you find one unbent enough to still do it, and the maximum speed varies with height. Up high, it's technically limited to M1.2 but you're a bit brave to convince it to do that. 28km/h over 550kts isn't really very much at all. I should imagine from brakes off to 2000ft at 420kts, the T1'd beat it.

The T1A technically has the capacity for all sorts of stuff, but I don't think you'll find it carrying Paveway as it's got no need for anything precision guided. It can carry dumb bombs, so technically it could lug a Paveway airborne and get something else to lase for it, but we'd be getting a bit desperate. Likewise, I can't remember the last time a T1A got airborne carrying a live Sidewinder or even rockets.

ReputationRep:
    god you guys know your stuff.

looks like i will be needing to swat up a bit.

does anyone know when the next leuchars airshow is, and out of everyone who might be going. Also, are there any other good airshows on soon, and again, are any of you thinking of going?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    September, and I'll hopefully be bringing a jet up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Have some motivation, have some confidence, and as the saying goes, man up

It's not the sort of job they invite you in to; you're competing against hundreds of people. If you can't take being asked a few questions that show the limit of your knowledge and demonstrate what you'll need to know, well.......
    yes i can take being asked a few questions, but every time i answered one she had another lined up. i just thought she was really nasty about it, like she was thinking 'oh god not another damn pilot..'

okay, i know that i should have known alot about the RAF before going but i specifically asked her if i could just get some information.

its what they are there for isn't it, fair enough if i went to OASC without knowing anything that would just be silly.

ReputationRep:
    It's perhaps worth pointing out to you mankyscot, incase you didn't realise already, that Wzz is a serving pilot not an applicant like the rest of us (were! ). Don't be surprised if he seems so knowledgeable because, well, he is. But then the caliber of certain others on here is high so you could do worse than to emulate their enthusiasm and level of preparation.

ReputationRep:
    are you a pilot Wzz?

if not what did you mean by you will be bringing a jet up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomA2)
    It's perhaps worth pointing out to you mankyscot, incase you didn't realise already, that Wzz is a serving pilot not an applicant like the rest of us (were! ). Don't be surprised if he seems so knowledgeable because, well, he is. But then the caliber of certain others on here is high so you could do worse than to emulate their enthusiasm and level of preparation.
    yeah you are absolutely right.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    yes i can take being asked a few questions, but every time i answered one she had another lined up. i just thought she was really nasty about it, like she was thinking 'oh god not another damn pilot..'

okay, i know that i should have known alot about the RAF before going but i specifically asked her if i could just get some information.

its what they are there for isn't it, fair enough if i went to OASC without knowing anything that would just be silly.
    yes, she was more than likely thinking that.

The point of an AFCO is to go and get information, its a careers advice centre so you don't have to have a blow by blow account of branch information. It just helps to know a little.

Wzz wasn't saying that you should know things before you go in, just that you shouldn't worry about being asked questions.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.